Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LED headlight bulbs
lewis

posted on 16/2/16 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
LED headlight bulbs

Have people upgraded there normal headlight bulbs to LED? If so are they any good & what ones have you used? Price etc,I'd be interested to find out people's opinions cheers Lewis.

I am a driving god!..........sort of

HowardB

posted on 16/2/16 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I have LED headlights from Russ, they are impressive. They were a group buy so there are a few people on here with them

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

lewis

posted on 16/2/16 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Is that complete headlights or just replacement bulbs? I want to keep the original lights on the car & just replace the internal bulbs

HowardB

posted on 16/2/16 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
complete unit,. but fits in either a 5 1/2 or 7" headlight bowl.

linky

Not cheap,... but good

[Edited on 16/2/16 by HowardB]

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

lewis

posted on 16/2/16 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks for the reply

CosKev3

posted on 16/2/16 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Not used them myself but have seen people say LED replacements look really bright when your looking at the car,but don't deliver the equivalent light onto the road when driving.
adithorp

posted on 16/2/16 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Not used them myself but have seen people say LED replacements look really bright when your looking at the car,but don't deliver the equivalent light onto the road when driving.

Don't know if that is true of the bulbs (suspect it is) but ot true of the units from Russ. They're like driving with your own personal Sun.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

tegwin

posted on 16/2/16 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
It is going to be more down to the optics than the led its self...

Like those retarded morons who fit HID bulbs to a conventional headlight unit..spraying light all over the place... There is a reason why manufacturers fit HIDs and LEDs inside projector lenses.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

nick205

posted on 16/2/16 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Other than seeing cars with them, which look fine to me, I've not driven with them so difficult to say what they're like. Having replaced my household bulbs with LED bulbs I do see they're not as bright, but for the power saving you live with it as far as I'm concerned. I would say it took SWMBO and the kids a while longer to adjust, but they're fed up with me telling them to turn lights off anyway

CosKev3

posted on 16/2/16 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3

Don't know if that is true of the bulbs (suspect it is) but ot true of the units from Russ. They're like driving with your own personal Sun.

Yeah sorry was referring to bulbs in normal lights.

As above,it's probably very like fitting HID's into standard headlights

tims31

posted on 16/2/16 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
I have LED headlights from Russ, they are impressive. They were a group buy so there are a few people on here with them

Have you got any pictures of them fitted to the Fury please. Have you got the 5 1/2 or 7" ones?

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

lewis

posted on 16/2/16 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I very rarely use the car at night if at all that I can remember,they are more for being seen so might try just changing the bulbs,any recommendations of where to buy or which ones?

gremlin1234

posted on 16/2/16 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewis
I very rarely use the car at night if at all that I can remember,they are more for being seen so might try just changing the bulbs,any recommendations of where to buy or which ones?
you may be better off just adding some daylight running lights.

lewis

posted on 16/2/16 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by lewis
you may be better off just adding some daylight running lights.

Personally I think they look a bit rubbish after market.

SteveWalker

posted on 16/2/16 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Other than seeing cars with them, which look fine to me, I've not driven with them so difficult to say what they're like. Having replaced my household bulbs with LED bulbs I do see they're not as bright, but for the power saving you live with it as far as I'm concerned. I would say it took SWMBO and the kids a while longer to adjust, but they're fed up with me telling them to turn lights off anyway

The cheap, Chinese ones that I fitted in our bathroom are an exact match for a 35W halogen in colour, brightness and beam angle. I know this for certain because the electronic power supply is unstable running 7 of them (too little load, despite being within the stated range) and we actually have to run 6 LEDs and one halogen to stop them flashing on and off at 1Hz. If you got your LEDs a while ago, take another look, as things have improved quite a lot. Similarly, the kitchen ones match a 50W halogen perfectly - unlike the ones we bought 18 months earlier that gave a good impression of a firefly!

Just make sure that you check beam angle, colour temperature and lumens output against a halogen before buying.

As to headlights, I'm just waiting for the price to drop a bit more before buying.

02GF74

posted on 16/2/16 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Something to consider. LEDs generate less heat than filament bulbs, a good thing except when your headlamps are frosted over or covered in snow. It will take longer to melt tbe ice/snow.

Canada EH!

posted on 16/2/16 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
The lorries over here have all changed to LED tail lights, very hard to see in the snow as there is not enough heat to keep the lenses clear.
daveb666

posted on 17/2/16 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
I have LED headlight bulbs- utterly pointless at night, however as DLRs and 'being seen' they're great, and use less wattage than a norm bulb.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.