Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ahhhhhh! Mold! What to do?
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 16/2/16 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhhhhh! Mold! What to do?

Last weekend I opened up the "classic" Alfa Romeo I bought a little while back after 2 month in the garage to find this:

Mold growing over everything leather.

Simple question; what do I do? I assume I'll start with wiping it out with disinfectant wipes (while wearing a mask) but what can I do to stop it coming back? People have mentioned using cat litter but surely that more mess everywhere.

Anyone got any good tips? (apart from having a shower more often!)

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 16/2/16 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Wear a dust mask to avoid breathing it in and get busy with anti-bac wipes.

Once cleaned I'd suggest leaving the widows open a little to allow air to circulate through the car - that should slow down the growth!

You can also get bags containing cat litter type stuff that absorbs moisture in the car and again may help reduce future growth.

There is good reason why 2nd hand car dealers open the doors and boots of cars on warm dry days

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 16/2/16 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
need to get the moisture out asap, I use the chemical dehumidifiers you can buy (approx £2) from poundland/homebargains.
I buy three and place them in the back in a plastic storage box so they don't tip over. I was amazed how much fluid came out.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 16/2/16 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thorough clean out followed by a 24hr sting with a dehumidifier inside the car would be my advice. However, I'd suggest the cheap moisture traps longer term (you can get single use ones, or those that go in the microwave to be "recharged" longer term to reduce the risk of it returning.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

CosKev3

posted on 16/2/16 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
As above,pound shop moisture traps work really well
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 16/2/16 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely need a trip to Wilkinson/Poundshop to get some moisture traps then.

I think the mould has actually come from the garage as the car has been sat for 2 years in a mates garage all locked up and has been fine, I then left the windows open when I moved it to my garage. ( I opened them but then had the battery off so couldn't shut them). Its been a very warm and wet winter as well.

Bloody Alfas!

Although I will say it might be the most reliable Alfa Romeo ever, passed its MOT after 2 years standing and always starts perfectly.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
r1_pete

posted on 16/2/16 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Bowls of washing powder also work effectively to absorb moisture, I leave one in the concealed cistern in the bathroom to prevent mould growing.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 16/2/16 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Salt works well and is cheap , old caravan tip.
bi22le

posted on 16/2/16 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I heard driving cars prevents their mold!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

steve m

posted on 16/2/16 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
since when has a ""classic" Alfa Romeo " had electric windows ?

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Sam_68

posted on 16/2/16 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I heard driving cars prevents their mold!

Yeah, but it's an old Alfa... if you don't drive it, it gets mouldy, if you DO drive it it rusts.

And the electrics will malfunction whatever you do!

Seriously, though - another vote for the chemical dehumidifier packs (but the 'non-rechargeable' versions will just keep on sucking moisture out of the air indefinitely, so if you're keeping it outside or in a damp garage they'll need replacing regularly).

The only other bit of useful information I can offer is to do the cleaning outside of the garage and with the interior of the car as well-ventilated as possible - otherwise you're just filling the air with fungal spores ready for it to instantly start re-growing.

...And use an anti-fungal cleaner (you can get special ones for leather; Google 'leather mould remover' or visit your local horsey peoples' Saddlery - it's a common problem on equine tack). Alternatively, a 'grandmother's remedy' (and Locost solution, pardon the pun) is to wipe down with dilute white vinegar, 'cos the mould spores don't like the acidity.

twybrow

posted on 16/2/16 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I had similar in my old daily hack. I wiped it all down with a light bleach mix to kill any spores and removed the source of the moisture. Cat litter works well and is cheap for drying out a car....
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 16/2/16 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Well.it only has one working electric window so it is a true Alfa. I'd love to be able to drive it round but working two jobs and running a business means that any spare time has to go on eating and sleeping.

I think a good clean plus lots of moisture traps is the answer, Wilkos tomorrow.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Canada EH!

posted on 16/2/16 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if it is available over there but there is a product used here in caravans, consists of a 6" diameter cup and a small tray which holds white pellets.
The pellets attract moisture which drips into the cup which can be emptied.
My caravan is all covered up so I can't get the name of the product, available in Walmart and caravan shops.
Works great for the 4-5 months my caravan is stored outside. Covered in snow.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 24/2/16 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for everyones help.

I got a face mask and some large ant-bacterial floor wipes, all of the mold came off easily although it has stained the dash top a little so need to sort that.

I also put a moisture trap in which did about 200ml of water in a week and the mold hasn't returned.

Working on "The BlAlfa" (Black Alfa) really made me want to use it again, so going to start the NSCC sprint season in it while finishing my single seater.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.