Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec with MX5 NC transmission
rug

posted on 31/3/23 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec with MX5 NC transmission

I am trying to get a flywheel and clutch combo that will work with my duratec and NC MX5 transmission.

My first try did not work as I got a flywheel for the 1.8L duratec which did not fit. Second attempt is a flywheel from Retrofords which fits! Now the problem is that my MX5 starter does not fit. I asked Retroford which starter fits their setup but was refered to the £150 starter they sell. Since I live in sweden the £150 turns into some number north of £200 with toll and taxes this will not fly. I can get used low milage startes from the scrappers for £20-£30.

The MX5 starter does not seem to extend long enough to engage the teeth on the flywheel. Does the Ford Focus starter extend longer to engage the teeth?

What starter works with the flywheel from Retrofords?

/Carl

pewe

posted on 31/3/23 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Clairetoo aka crap engineering on here or http://crapengineering.weebly.com/ will probably know the answer and/or supply suitable components.
sdh2903

posted on 31/3/23 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same combo on a 2.0 ecoboost.

Used an mx5 1.8 5sp solid flywheel, clutch and starter. I think it's critical to get one specific to the 5sp as the 6sp setup is different.

pewe

posted on 3/4/23 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Just to ask - is it worthwhile putting a lighter weight flywheel in whilst you're at it?
My hairdresser Mk1 1.6 spins up a lot faster with a 5.2kg rather than 7.5kg.
Don't go too light (ask me how I know!) as you'll have problems with tick-over under load and transmission shunt.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.