Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: K Series engine with SU carb?
Mike Wood

posted on 9/4/23 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
K Series engine with SU carb?

Hi

Anyone used a Rover K Series 1.1 or 1.4 8 valve (K8) engine with the standard single KIF44 SU carb (not later single point or multipoint injection or twincam) from an early 1990s Rover 100 (Metro) in a Locost? The simplicity of this appeals - carb, distributor, mechanical fuel pump and no ECU or cat as a spiritual successor to the all alloy 1100cc Coventry Climax engine as fitted to early Lotus Sevens which is out of reach.

I know following Caterham practice with their 1.4 twincam fuel injected K Series (or 1.6 etc) would make more sense matched to a 6 speed Caterham box or a Ford Type 9 five speed and bellhousing adapter. But where would the fun in that be?

Anyone got experience of such an engine in a Locost as well as an alternative gearbox options for a rwd set up to a K Series that is lighter than a Ford Type 9? Can you use other rwd Ford 4 speed boxes such as Type E (oft called the ‘Rocket’ but only some were) or 2000E (Bullet) - does a Ford Type 9 gearbox conversion bellhousing for a K Series engine fit these other gearboxes?

K8 engine info: http://www.austinmemories.com/styled-66/index.html &
https://www.aronline.co.uk/engines/k-series-engine/

Just to contradict myself, if I do install such an engine with a Type 9 gearbox I can always do an upgrade later to a larger capacity twin cam K Series that will need an ECU!

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 9/4/23 by Mike Wood]

[Edited on 10/4/23 by Mike Wood]

peter030371

posted on 11/4/23 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I had a 1.4 K with carb in a Rover 200 around the mid-90's for 3-4 years. Lovely engine and I thrashed it all over the place Never had a problem with the engine and sad to see the car go which was due to the flimsy body folding when I hit some raised iron work in the road in first gear one day

I replaced it with an E30 M3 so not much difference

snapper

posted on 12/4/23 at 03:17 AM Reply With Quote
A carb is a carb, the engine only sees the air/fuel ratio, what I would say is that the SU carb (or any carb) is not a simple fit and forget, SU carb has a main jet that can be changed but the needle profile required is a black art I am yet to get my head around.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/4/23 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
A carb is a carb, the engine only sees the air/fuel ratio, what I would say is that the SU carb (or any carb) is not a simple fit and forget, SU carb has a main jet that can be changed but the needle profile required is a black art I am yet to get my head around.

I'd agree, all my dealings with SU carbs on single and twin carb layouts have lead me to the conclusion it is just a bad design. Their difficult and expensive to tune, not even very fuel efficient, the stupid piston either jams, leaks or runs out of oil. Also had one that poured fuel all over the engine bay, was very lucky the car didn't go up! The stromberg ones are even worse! I have a few of those in the garage I can't even be bothered sorting. Like the Ford VV carb it was a failed experiment to just be different.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.