Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec oil pump priming?
John G

posted on 10/4/23 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec oil pump priming?

I have fitted a Raceline wet sump to my Zetec. Is there a way/ need to prime the pump? I have removed the plugs as I wish to get the oil circulated, how long on the statrer untill pressure would build up?
Regards Jon

pigeondave

posted on 10/4/23 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
My zetec was sitting for a few months. I pulled the ECU fuse so it wouldn't fire the fuel pump or spark and it took about 3x 30second cranks to get the oil pressure guage reading 30lbs.

After that I plugged in the fuse and started the engine.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 11/4/23 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Would you expect the old oil to have left the pump? They're self-priming once they've run once in their life, I can't imagine any need to re-prime personally.

snapper

posted on 12/4/23 at 03:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Would you expect the old oil to have left the pump? They're self-priming once they've run once in their life, I can't imagine any need to re-prime personally.

Oil can drain back, with any engine start after a layup or engine work it’s worth seeing pressure on the gauge before first fire up, and remember it’s not just the crank that needs looking after, the cams will drain oil back as well

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

John G

posted on 12/4/23 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
oil priming

Thanks for the relpies, I may drain the oil and refill so that the cams are covered in oil. Thought about taking out one of the oil gallery plugs and putting in a threaded adaptor with a hole, atatching a pipe to a funnel and filling with oil. Does anyone know the thread in the oil gallery?
cliftyhanger

posted on 12/4/23 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I spin an engine over with plugs removed. Takes the pressure off the big ends/mains, and the engine spins much faster.

I wonder if you can prime the pump via the oil filter, or even the oil pressure switch connetion?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.