Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Strange oil leak on 1.8 Zetec
Slater

posted on 18/4/23 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Strange oil leak on 1.8 Zetec

Hello, just need some advice..
my 1.8 Zetec (Silvertop) and Type 9 has been leaking engine oil for a while, maybe just 2-3 drips per night, so I've been using a drip tray to catch them. I've just had to remove the engine as I spotted one of the 2 mounting bolts on the left side had sheared off, so removed the engine with the oil still in it. I suspected the crank seals might be leaking, but no, the inside the the flywheel is bone dry and front pulley is also dry. I left the engine sitting on the sump on garage floor to spot the leak and can't see anything, and now I've left it hanging on the hoist 1" above the floor in case the sump seal might have been leaking, but there is no leak now!!! The inside of the bell housing was a bit oily but I've cleaned it up and can't see any further leaks from the gearbox.

The oil in the drip tray looked like engine oil (not gear box).

So... any ideas?

I managed to drill out the sheared mount stub and used one of the square easy outs to remove that, so I'm all ready to put engine in, but I want to find this annoying leak first.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Deckman001

posted on 18/4/23 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
hi ya, I can't help with a zetec info yet, mine has only just been fitted and fired up, but my old xflow used to do something very similar, I eventually tracked it down to a breather pipe joint, so use that info based on oil leaks when running, and no leaks when not running too?

Jason

perksy

posted on 18/4/23 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Iirc there's a standard breather on the Zetec on the passenger side of the engine which some folks blank off, Its not coming from there is it?
JAG

posted on 19/4/23 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
I would definitely be looking at stuff you had to disturb to remove the engine - it sounds like the engine itself is oil-tight.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Slater

posted on 19/4/23 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advise chaps, the standard breather was removed and port sealed off when I built the car and still sealing OK. The cam cover breather goes via a hose to catch tank, I don't think it was dripping, but not 100% sure. It does seem like it's leaking during running and the drips on the garage floor could be just what was left on outside of the engine and dropping off.

I'll refit the engine once my new flywheel bolts arrive, leave the sump guard off and have close inspection after 1st drive.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

adithorp

posted on 19/4/23 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
If its gearbox oil you should be able to tell by smelling it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.