Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Order of radiators
bi22le

posted on 23/4/23 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Order of radiators

My striker has 4!! radiators at the front. Currently they are poorly laid out with gaps between them and blocked air flow. What is the best order for them?

Intercooler
Water rad
Engine oil rad
Rotrex SC rad

I am going to try and get the intercooler Infront of the water rad with no gap between them. The oil rads are also important though and with the intercooler / water rad all of my frontage is used.

I could try and duct in some cole air but not sure where from.

Thoughts and pics welcome.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

JAG

posted on 24/4/23 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
To achieve the best overall cooling they should be placed in order of the expected fluid temperature in each radiator.

Coolest should be first (to meet the cold airflow)...

Hottest should be last.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/23 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Intercooler
Rotrex SC rad
Engine oil rad
Water rad

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 24/4/23 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Totally depends on the systems in question. Sure, ideally you'd have the coolest rads first so that you maintain the highest delta-T between airflow and fluid. However if your water rad is right on the limit of sizing, putting it at the back will leave you royally fooked, because you'll overheat whereas you could have just had slightly warmer intake temps and less power

[Edited on 24/4/23 by coyoteboy]

bi22le

posted on 24/4/23 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your input to date, keep it coming.

I might have the intercooler followed by the water rad dead centre and then the oil rads mounted to the side back further. I could then play with ducting and sectioning up the frontal areas to get the optimum.

Reliability is obviously key and therefore keeping temps down. At the moment the oil temps are far too high.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

nick205

posted on 24/4/23 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Presumably you'll have to take into account the physical space limitations of a less than massive engine bay with 4 rads in it and all associated pipework to/from?

The to/from pipework will have additional affects on the temperature as long runs will alter the volume of air/fluid in each system.

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/23 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Just stick them all over the cabin to keep you toasty in the winter
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 24/4/23 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know about the relative temperatures of your oil and water, but my tin-top uses a very compact oil to water cooler, so that only a water radiator is needed to cover the needs of both.
nick205

posted on 25/4/23 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
205 1.9 GTI oil cooler rad is tiny in comparison to the water rad. That may well affect placement choice.

May be different if you're dry sumped of course.

James

posted on 25/4/23 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
The answer is *always* BODMAS.

(Facebook users will maybe get the joke! )

[Edited on 25/4/23 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 26/4/23 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
I will have the same issue when I get round to the engine swap in my Westy.

The setup used in the factory (based on the Sport 250) was I/C same size as the rad, mounted directly in front.

I'm planning on mounting the oil cooler in the lower section of the engine bay at the front, somewhere between the steering rack and crank pulley (probably about 30-45o angle from horizontal, and maybe some ducting where the battery would typically sit behind the nosecone).

The the S/C oil cooler I'm going to look at putting a side panel vent in, and have a direct feed towards it - with the cooler mounted vertically to the side of the steering column. I've seen this in other vehicle such as Ultima, and Porsche have similar behind front and rear bumper grills.

All depends on how much space is available, how big the rads are, and how neat you want it to look! As much as I'm a neat freak, I'd sacrifice for performance every time....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

bi22le

posted on 28/4/23 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
I will have the same issue when I get round to the engine swap in my Westy.

The setup used in the factory (based on the Sport 250) was I/C same size as the rad, mounted directly in front.

I'm planning on mounting the oil cooler in the lower section of the engine bay at the front, somewhere between the steering rack and crank pulley (probably about 30-45o angle from horizontal, and maybe some ducting where the battery would typically sit behind the nosecone).

The the S/C oil cooler I'm going to look at putting a side panel vent in, and have a direct feed towards it - with the cooler mounted vertically to the side of the steering column. I've seen this in other vehicle such as Ultima, and Porsche have similar behind front and rear bumper grills.

All depends on how much space is available, how big the rads are, and how neat you want it to look! As much as I'm a neat freak, I'd sacrifice for performance every time....

Links and pics if you can find some. I have struggled to find some inspiration and designs I actually trust would work. I currently only have a small IC, the standard MK1 MR2 SC is often used on kit cars as it's small. I do have a whacking great IC to fit if I can show horn it in.

I'm currently thinking about inclining the rads to allow for more area and cowling it to divert as required. Let's see how it goes. . .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.