Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 Engine Mounting in Locost
quinnj3

posted on 30/4/23 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
MX5 Engine Mounting in Locost

Hi All,

I've just completed one of my engine mounts. I think they are fine as is but I just wanted others opinions on strength. Should I cap over them to close them in? Engine is just a standard Bp unit putting out about 140bhp on a good day. I don't intend turbo charging any time soon. They have been fab'ed from 3mm steel.

I have designed for full positioning of the engine. Left/right, forward/back, a couple of degrees of rotation and height can be adjusted with shims.

Engine mount 2
Engine mount 2

Engine mount 3
Engine mount 3

Engine mount 4
Engine mount 4

Engine mount 5
Engine mount 5

Lower engine mount
Lower engine mount

Lower engine mount 1
Lower engine mount 1

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 30/4/23 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
I made very similar looking open brackets from 4mm mild steel to support a Perkins 4182 in a Land Rover, again a 3 bolt fixing in a similar place to that on the crankcase you've pictured. No issues in use.
Pictures indicate a good visual quality of Mig welding. To me, no expert in anything, my opinion is worth nothing, I'd be happy with what you've done.

pewe

posted on 1/5/23 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be inclined to horizontally cross brace those between the outer edges to stop the sides flexing outwards at their mid point under load.
Probably belt and braces but whilst they're accessible worth doing.
Nice welding BTW.

ReMan

posted on 1/5/23 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good to me. As above i'd just cap over to going the two outer edges for good measure

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

quinnj3

posted on 3/5/23 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all. I'll take your feedback on board. For now I'm going to leave as is but I've plenty of time to change my mind before they get painted/powder coated. What I think I will do is buy a heavier duty washer. The mudguard washer I have in is probably too light

[Edited on 3/5/23 by quinnj3]

bi22le

posted on 3/5/23 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Personally 3mm steel sounds a little thin, but it looks about right on the pics. At a later stage you could just brace with a little rod. You can't do too much as you will want access, not too just do the bolts up but often oil will settle on the mounts and you will want to wipe them clean.

Another observation is the proximity of bolt holes to the welds. The stresses will radiate out from the bolt head landing, they are close to the welds on 2 bolts which may crack the weld area. Keep an eye on them areas.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.