Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Coolant reservoir connection
Slimy38

posted on 14/6/23 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Coolant reservoir connection

My car is based on an MX5 donor, and I've just ordered a VW Polo radiator for cooling (mainly due to physical size). I'm trying to figure out where the reservoir connects. On both the MX5 and the Polo the reservoir seems to connect to the radiator itself, but somehow I've managed to order a rad that doesn't have a connection for the reservoir.

I'm assuming that the reservoir just needs to be the highest point of the system and can be connected anywhere, is that correct? I plan on reusing the donor reservoir. Physically speaking the heater loop is in the best place, and as I'm not using a heater would it be effective to plumb the reservoir into that loop of pipe?

Edit: OK, I've just looked at the diagrams again, it's only the overflow (?) pipe that comes from the rad to the reservoir. If the polo rad doesn't have this overflow connection, what do I do instead?

[Edited on 14-6-23 by Slimy38]

Slimy38

posted on 14/6/23 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
OK, I think there's more to this than I thought, hopefully someone can confirm. The MX5 coolant reservoir isn't pressurised, it's just an overflow tank. The pressure is controlled by the radiator cap, with the tee junction off to the reservoir. If I plumb the MX5 reservoir into the Polo radiator, the reservoir will just open and I'll get an engine bay of hot water.

I think what I need to do is use a pressurised reservoir instead, to match the radiator. Is that correct?

JAG

posted on 14/6/23 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Context: I have a Mazda MX-5 engine. It's a 1994 1600cc unit with the 5 speed gearbox. I also have the VW Polo radiator.

I picked up a cheap overflow tank from eBay. The main connection on the bottom of the tank is plumbed in, via a T-pipe, to the lower pipe from the radiator to the engine. There is also an overflow, from the top corner of the radiator, into the neck of the tank. You can see the overflow pipe in the second picture.

My VW radiator has no cap or filling point on it.

I have no heater now - I did have and you can see it in the first picture. Now I have connected the two pipes, from the engine to/from the heater, with a section of rubber pipe just to close them off.

MX5 engine in situ & ready
MX5 engine in situ & ready

VW Polo rad - check!
VW Polo rad - check!

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Slimy38

posted on 14/6/23 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
That's really useful, thanks. So it does need a proper tank. That's a clever placement, most pictures I've seen have the tank (of whatever type) sat on the bulkhead. Given the two pipe connections are at the rad end and that you have your heater in the 'usual' place yours does make sense.

At least initially I am looking at looping the heater connections, but I'll definitely keep your design in mind if I want to fit a heater.

gremlin1234

posted on 14/6/23 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
polo cooling
polo cooling

from
https://7zap.com/en/catalog/cars/Volkswagen/Polo/Polo%20Classic%20%281996%20-%202003%29/SnBCVVFidmsxaERicjM1SHBjcEtQUT09--/10102-%3E10473-%3E10888/887 72|---coolant+cooling+system/

polo cooling

adithorp

posted on 14/6/23 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go for a pressurised reservoir (VW globe one?) System rather than the MX5p system with unpressurised overflow.

Mount it so the "min" level is higher than any other point of the system. Plumb the bottom (larger) outlet to T into the bottom hose (top hose will do if bottom not possible) then the bottle top/bleed pipe to the bleed pipe on the Pole rad and T any other engine bleed pipes into it.

Slimy38

posted on 14/6/23 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I'd go for a pressurised reservoir (VW globe one?) System rather than the MX5p system with unpressurised overflow.

Mount it so the "min" level is higher than any other point of the system. Plumb the bottom (larger) outlet to T into the bottom hose (top hose will do if bottom not possible) then the bottle top/bleed pipe to the bleed pipe on the Pole rad and T any other engine bleed pipes into it.

Perfect, that makes sense. The Polo diagram that I saw has a hard distribution rail that serves manifold, throttle body and other cooling, but using taps will make it more like Gremlins picture (thanks Gremlin). Meeting the min level shouldn't be an issue, I had wondered about airlocks but after recalling how much pipe 'massaging' an old Astra needed just to get things sorted I guess I'll just be as careful as I can be.

The VW globes do seem to be very common both new and second hand so I'll grab one of those.

SteveWalker

posted on 14/6/23 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I did mine (Pinto engined) with the old-fashioned, unpressurised system. As pressure rises, the radiator cap releases it to an unpressurised bottle and the cap reseals. The connection to the bottle is at the bottom (or going through the top, down to the bottom). As the system cools, pressure drops and a vacuum is formed, which sucks the coolant bank from the unpressurised bottle, into the radiator.

It is simple and effective. No, it is not as "fill and almost forget" as a sealed system, but for normal kit-car use, I have not needed to top up during the year.

You just have to have a radiator with the correct pipe connection on the side of the filler and a radiator cap that is designed to relieve one way, but allow easy backflow - as they almost all would have been decades ago.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.