Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are these wheels anygood?
Steve Hnz

posted on 8/3/05 at 04:33 AM Reply With Quote
Are these wheels anygood?

Any comments as to the suitability or otherwise of these wheels for a locost build using Cortina Uprights & Sierra back end 14x5.5" about ET38, suposedly from a Sierra sapphire? Thanks, Steve

[Edited on 8/3/05 by Steve Hnz] Rescued attachment Ford4x4alloys.jpg
Rescued attachment Ford4x4alloys.jpg

SeaBass

posted on 8/3/05 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
You'll need spacers on the front... about 3/4" (19mm) according to my calculations. The Cortina wheels are approx ET19 + 19 this gives the ET38. This is not as bad as it sounds tho as the bearing load should remain constant. If you imagine you haven't moved the rim in the wheel changeover just filled the gap that would be there otherwise. Hope this explains. I've done the same to run my FWD wheels.. Not had any probs so far. Oh and you'll need longer studs. Got all mine from a Grayston Engineering stockist.

http://www.graystonengineering.com/front%20page.htm

Cheers

NS Dev

posted on 8/3/05 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, ok to use, but follow Seabass's advice, as these are XR4x4 Sierra wheels ane have the "4wd offset" which is as (or similar) to the front drive Ford offset.
RogerM

posted on 8/3/05 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
A better way forward would be to extend the front wishbones by the amount required. Longer wishbones are always of benifit.

Obviously you would need to move the top shock point out by the same amount.

Using ET38s on my car, always have.

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/3/05 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RogerM
A better way forward would be to extend the front wishbones by the amount required. Longer wishbones are always of benifit.

It is the design of the cortina upright which needs the 19mm offset, not the necessity to keep a constant track. If you use ET38 on the cortina hubs, the loading on the wheel bearings will be 19mm inset of the load path.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

britishtrident

posted on 8/3/05 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Factory Cortina Mk3-5 Rostyle wheels were a different offset from other Ford rostyles. Put one Capri rostyle on the front of a Cortina and you would get a massive steering pull towards the Capri wheel when braking. First time I encountered it it took me hours to twigg as the wheel were almost identical in appearance but the back space was different by 0.5"
Stu16v

posted on 8/3/05 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
quote:
Originally posted by RogerM

It is the design of the cortina upright which needs the 19mm offset, not the necessity to keep a constant track. If you use ET38 on the cortina hubs, the loading on the wheel bearings will be 19mm inset of the load path.

The bearings are very unlikely to give issue, the main reason being there is far less weight in a locost to begin with. Britishtrident has hit on it - scrub radius. This affects steering feel and feedback, as well as how the steering will react with a puncture on the steered axle.

Interestingly, most modern Westfields use Cortina uprights and 35+mm offsets...

Dont just build it.....make it!

gazza285

posted on 8/3/05 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Are these wheels anygood?

No, they are horrible.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 8/3/05 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
...in your opinion of course....

Dont just build it.....make it!

Steve Hnz

posted on 9/3/05 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Having measured some 5 1/2" Mk 3-5 Cortina wheels, both sculpted ( Rostyle) & plain steel,I can confidently say that the ones I measured were ET38, the same as the 5 1/2 x 13" steel Sierra wheels I have & as such I would be surprised if there was a problem with the front geometry because of this. I guess I was after objective comments re weight & suchlike, much as I would like a set of superlites/miniltes, these xr4x4 wheels are about 1/4 the price of them & I also think they look quite sharp. Gazza285, care to expand on your comment?
Cheers & thanks for the input, Steve.

gazza285

posted on 9/3/05 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just being my usual facetious self. Not the most attractive wheel Ford have made.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 9/3/05 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Stu. Bearings wont be a problem at all (in fact in this case moving the wheel in 19mm probably moves the centre of the wheel closer to the bearings and reduces bending loads on the stub axle and stress on the bearings) and any reduction on the huuuuuuge scrub radius that cortina uprights give is welcome. Probably why westfields use et38s on cortina uprights.

Oh and the wheels are lovely - wanna buy a spare set of 5 off me for a tenner?

Liam

Steve Hnz

posted on 10/3/05 at 03:09 AM Reply With Quote
Liam, I'd love to but I think the shipping might kill the deal somewhat.
Gazza, I probably asked for it anyway, not a very well phrased query in the first case, but seriously, I think they look OK, Not as good as superlites etc but hey, its 'sposed to be locost & seriuosly, Ford have made worse I reckon by a long shot. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just as well for fat ugly women

NS Dev

posted on 10/3/05 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I like to look of them too!!

They are nice and subtle, not like some of the crap wheels that a lot of manufacturers were fitting in the 80's!!!

I';m biased as I am an XR4x4 fan and have one as a daily driver I suppose, but I certainly wouldn't stick any other wheels on it for aesthetic reasons!!!

blueshift

posted on 10/3/05 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same wheels and am planning to use them on the locost. nice that they're fairly light alloys and if it's a set of rims or a nice paint job I know where the money's going.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.