Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vauxhall xe engine location
ned

posted on 26/3/05 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
vauxhall xe engine location

I positioned an engine in the chassis today, only to locate/make the gearbox mount as it happens but I took a few pics as I know this has been mentioned a couple of times and there aren't many pics about of vaux xe engine locosts.

Pics are in my archive under the folder engine position at the top.

My engine is mounted off centre to get it further back in the chassis (and also clears the hydarulic clutch master cylinder). You will see from the double tube r pic that i have modified the tranny tunnel mouth to get the engine further back.

This was a bare 20xe block sitting on some 1" rhs temporary cross emmbers on top of the engine bay bottom rails. The westfield/sbd sump i have is approx 100mm/4" deep, so giving sump depth of 2" below bottom rail when fitted. I gather the caterham foam filled affair is shallower.

The head is sitting in place with the rocker cover, though note the rocker cover front flange for the cambelt cover (which I won't be using) hasn'tbeen ground off yet. This should give me the extra clearance I require.

I've also put in a second tube 'r' engine bay brace which the exhaut should clear happily (bonnet exit planned).

Ned

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 27/3/05 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ned!

I bet you thought I'd post now!

Yep, your engine is quite a bit further back than mine, I guess around 2 inches.

Mine is now approx 13mm off centre at the front, similar to Westfield, and a touch lower than yours. I used a piece of 10mm bar across the chassis where your 25mm temporary support is.

I have had to (well, will when i put the proper engine in which actually has camwheels on it!!) notch a little out of the nosecone to clear the front of the camwheels. My bodywork is the Stuart taylor stuff though which is very low!!

I am happy with mine now, the only really close bit is the clutch master cyl, but that is fore-aft clearance not side to side now so not a big issue.!

Bart69

posted on 27/3/05 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ned photo's great.
if you dont mind a couple of questions
1. Is there much differrence would you say in the type nine bellhousing size and your adapter.
2. where did you get your adapter (yukspeed)?
3.I have seen a bellhousing adapter with a 7 deg offset is this needed
I dont have an adapter yet and cant place the two inner H uprights so i can finish the tunnel and start seam welding. So i'm thinking of setting them around the type nine housing and hoping there is no difference.
My chassis is a +4 and im hoping to set things inline but only time will tell

NS Dev

posted on 27/3/05 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 bellhousing (as in std ford) is bigger in most dimensions than the XE to ford housing. Best to get one anyway as you will need it in the end though and then you can build the chassis around it.

Yukspeed is a good a source as any.

no, you want the vertical bellhousing, not the 7 degree one. There are also long and short versions of the housing, long to suit the V6 type 9 box and short to suit the normal type 9 box.

NS Dev

posted on 27/3/05 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Took a couple of piccies in the garage today, no time for the 7!!

XE bellhousing installation
XE bellhousing installation

too busy with this, first race in a week and it's still in bits and I have a new exhaust manifold to make yet!!!!

Grasser rebuild, race in 1 wk!
Grasser rebuild, race in 1 wk!

ned

posted on 27/3/05 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
For info i got my bellhousing from rallynuts.com (prices have changed since i purchase mine) and my bodywork came from gts, though it is the older low line stuff, not his newer higer stuff (I didn't like the lines when i saw it in the flesh)

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
billy

posted on 27/3/05 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
oh you boys are gonna love the powa of the xe me and Mr.G was out im mine giving it some real s**t and dont they shift

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

Bart69

posted on 27/3/05 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of great info. I think i'll take a chance and place the uprights around the type nine housing considering the varaition between neds further back but set at an angle and nsdev's further forward but set straighter and with an extra 4" in the chassis it should play in my favour.
Not haven placed much thought yet at clutch operation is essential to go hydralic if so how do you convert the clutch fork to suit a slave cylinder.

sorry for all the questions but who else could i ask

The build is back on.

quote "oh you boys are gonna love the powa of the xe me and Mr.G was out im mine giving it some real s**t and dont they shift"

ps my xe is still in the donor and still running boy does that put a smile on my face just now.

cheers

graham

Stu16v

posted on 28/3/05 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Graham, I take it you are custom building your chassis then?

My XE is dead central in the chassis (not that offsetting it would of been an issue), and right back in the engine bay. In fact, to install/remove the motor. I have a cut down allen key to get to the bolts.

I also use a cable clutch. This meant a bit of nifty chassis work to clear the arm, but easy in the grand scheme of things, and simpler/easier than usind a hydraulic one.

If I get back arlt enough today, I will try and get some piccies uploaded (I have finally bought a digi camera)...

HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

NS Dev

posted on 28/3/05 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billy
oh you boys are gonna love the powa of the xe me and Mr.G was out im mine giving it some real s**t and dont they shift

Mine certainly gives me some laughs in the grasser at the mo! I think the 7 will weigh a bit more but the grasser hits 60 in well under 5 secs from a standing start on wet grass!! That's with std engine (on throttle bodies etc) with 176hp @ wheels (about 200 ish at the flywheel)

Actually, only really just thought about this one now, as I was just looking at a car mag quoting BHP per tonne, just occurred to me that it has 440 hp per tonne, that might be why it shifts!!

(PS sorry to keep sticking up pics but I'm getting all excited as racing starts next week, plus I'm doing my usual "autograss recruitment exercise". Anybody who saw the grassers at the NEC indoor arena will need no encouragement though!!!!)

Grasser Small
Grasser Small

[Edited on 28/3/05 by NS Dev]

NS Dev

posted on 28/3/05 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Oh, just to add yet more pics, here's the caterham sump in relation to the bottom of the chassis, finally took a pic of it! (AND NOW I HAVE SEEN A RUDDY DENT IN MY ALI!!!)

sump clearance
sump clearance

Bart69

posted on 28/3/05 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stu16v
Graham, I take it you are custom building your chassis then?

My XE is dead central in the chassis (not that offsetting it would of been an issue), and right back in the engine bay. In fact, to install/remove the motor. I have a cut down allen key to get to the bolts.

I also use a cable clutch. This meant a bit of nifty chassis work to clear the arm, but easy in the grand scheme of things, and simpler/easier than usind a hydraulic one.

If I get back arlt enough today, I will try and get some piccies uploaded (I have finally bought a digi camera)...

HTH Stu.

Look forward to the photos Stu. I was beginning to wonder if anyone with an xe build on had a digi camera.
Well apart from being 4" wider i am trying to keep the build as simple as poss, with a live axle and im not to bothered with the the bodywork now GTS are supplying +4 kit.
I have noticed in previous post a local to myself Hugh Patterson was offering + 4 nosecones but doesnt seem to have posted since dec. Does anyone no him.
I'll need to look into clutch operation now if the lever is a problem is it in the same place with the adapter fitted?
Nsdev grasser look crazy i've never seen never mind tried a grasser before
Must have led a sheltered childhood.

NS Dev

posted on 28/3/05 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have a digi camera (bought cheap s/h off a mate, usual cheapskate style for me!) but never get around to taking many photos.

Should get most of the remaining non-homemade bits in the next two weeks or so for mine, ordered the Protech shocks from MNR on Friday!

Grasser is now running!!!!! Hurahh! Didn't blow up when first started and has a solid 60 psi oil press at tickover (cold oil), went back together ok as well. Just got to change the oil from cheapo to race stuff again and take off the temporary oil press gauge and put the 35 psi warning light back on and it's about ready!!

Then I can get on with the 7, hope to finish it within three months now if i can get the engine built this should be feasible, then it's just all the legal crap to deal with!!!!!! This all assumes I don't crash the grasser or wreck the engine (a situation which would be improved if I get my 2 speed gearbox built for it (less time on the rev limiter!) but I have been waiting since christmas and it ain't ready yet!

Stu16v

posted on 30/3/05 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Bart69. Sorry to keep you waiting, but thid new digi camera and the associated technology has slowed me dowm somewhat!

Anyway, a piccy of the engine in a +4 chassis, but standard width across front...

Engine
Engine

That is dead centre within the engine bay.

[Edited on 30/3/05 by Stu16v]

Stu16v

posted on 30/3/05 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Next, a piccy showing distance from rear of engine to bulkhead/transmission tunnel...

bellhousing to bulkhead
bellhousing to bulkhead

Stu16v

posted on 30/3/05 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Now a photo from inside the footwell, showing the modified tunnel/chassis design to allow extra clearance for the cltch arm. This mod takes up room which is not otherwise utilised, and allows the engine to come back sooo much further back, and still use a cable clutch...

chassis mod to footwell
chassis mod to footwell

I will try and get some photos on a ramp soon too, because with the carbs, M/C's, pipes etc in the way, I cannot get a clear piccy of the engine side of this from above.

HTH Stu.

Bart69

posted on 30/3/05 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Camera is working great Stu. Plenty to stare at and dribble over you lucky man hopefully i won't be dreaming for to much longer.

whisper

think i'll be ordering my bellhousing next week.

sshh
The missis is sitting in the corner

Graham

NS Dev

posted on 31/3/05 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Oh, don't worry too much! Mine saw the bill for my Protech shocks and brakes the other day!!!
ned

posted on 31/3/05 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
NS Dev,

so to diversify, which brakes did you go for in the end?

Ned.

NS Dev

posted on 31/3/05 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Still havent got the front calipers!!! It's the recon sierra rears, plus discs, plus the protech's that caused the financial shock, so I am glad the front calipers weren't on the same bill!!

I am 99% certain though that I will be going for the HiSpec ultralite 4 pots, probably bought through kit car workshop.

ned

posted on 31/3/05 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
this is the direction i was leaning in too as it happens after my research and posting that list of weights/direct fitment/costs!

Won't be for a while as the engine is currently being descaled and bored out and the chassis powder coating should be happening soon so I'll be poor as well. Plus first race of the year at brand this weekend, so amongst other things next few weekends are fully booked

Ned.

[Edited on 31/3/05 by ned]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.