Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: changing inlet manifold
JoelP

posted on 13/8/05 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
changing inlet manifold

hi all.

Im considering changing my inlet manifold from a swanneck type to a more straight variety. The chap on the rolling road reckoned that this was the worst part of the set up, with only a few minor things aside from that that weren't ideal.

So the question is, seeing as it was fully tuned last week, would the carbs need adjusting to account for the different manifold flow, and also, would adding 4 trumpets affect it much? And do trumpets have much affect on flow/performance? Its a crossflow with twin 40 webers.

Any help, much appreciated.

As an aside, i found bogg senior (the rolling road fella) to be very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable, and not at all shy of getting the welder out to knockup a new bracket for me. Definately a day well spent, as the car is nearly cured of its glitches!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ady8077

posted on 13/8/05 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Joel

Not sure what a swan neck manifold looks like, but my pinto manifold slopes slightly downward towards the engine, I was recommended this type as it stops the fuel pudling

As for trumpets don’t you have any ? The curve at the end supposed to help and the length can be tuned to give either more top end or more mid range power

Adrian

JoelP

posted on 13/8/05 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
cheers adrian.

my current manifold leaves the carbs about an inch or two above the inlets. The old chap described this as 'swan neck', maybe an old term but he certainly knows his beans! I was hence hoping to get a more level manifold - it ends on ebay in 3 mins so i dont have long to decide! No trumpets ATM, just holes into a filter.

It could well be the cam thats a bit full on, its not great at low revs. Might just buy it anyway and see!

JoelP

posted on 13/8/05 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
ah well, sniped it by 4 quid and lost anyway!

JoelP

posted on 13/8/05 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
this is what i would describe as a swanneck anyway:

ady8077

posted on 13/8/05 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
That looks the same as mine, the trumpets help with the venture effect, depending on engine spec your supposed to have between 15" and 18" inlet tract, thats from inlet valve to end of trumpet. Depending on your air filter you may struggle to fit long trumpets

Adrian

JoelP

posted on 13/8/05 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
trumpets it is then! id have to change the distributor if i got a lower manifold, not really worth the effort Its getting BEC'd over winter anyway

MikeRJ

posted on 14/8/05 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
A proper "swan neck" manifold is one that has more of an 'S' shape, some of the Weber manifolds for mini's were like this to clear the bulkhead, but they flow very badly.

I suspect the above one isn't ideal in terms of outright airflow because of the sharp angles between manifold and carb, and head and manifold, rather than smooth bends.

[Edited on 14/8/05 by MikeRJ]

posted on 14/8/05 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Joel,

I know it's a lot of work, but you could try the old "cut & shut".

Just a thought.

Paul G Rescued attachment Joel-manifold-s.jpg
Rescued attachment Joel-manifold-s.jpg

JoelP

posted on 14/8/05 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
thats an idea paul, but it could (knowing me!) lead to a few weeks off the road!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.