Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rolling chassis?
Harry B

posted on 9/10/05 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Rolling chassis?

I am currently trying to build a Robin Hood Sierra 7(S7),and have got to the stage of fitting the mechanics such as front/back axles,gearbox and engine etc. Firstly,to acheive a rolling chassis,what are ALL the parts I will need bearing in mind that I'm going to use a Sierra engine about 1500cc+/-. And where can I find these parts,preferably in a package-they do not necessarily have to be in good nick,as I can paint them, but would prefer to buy them in a package rather than buying bits,only to find that something (eg.brakes etc.)is missing.Any help would be very much appreciated,and please explain simply as I am a newbie(and only 17 with limited knowledge{so far}of kit car mechanics.
rayward

posted on 9/10/05 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, welcome the nuthouse,

front end you will need:

wishbones+bolts
shockers
hubs c/w discs and calipers
steering rack
track rod ends
bottom ball joints
top balljoints
new wheel bearings
wheels

rear end

diff
halfshafts
shockers
wishbones
hub carriers
hubs c/w brakes discs and calipers
wheels
bolts

thinks thats about it, don't think you'll get them in a package though either a bit at a time, or buy a donor car

Ray

serendipity123

posted on 9/10/05 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
how about

link
JoelP

posted on 9/10/05 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
just buy a sierra, thats the best start, i wouldnt bother with online donor part companies, theres no need to spend that kind of money.

Is your RH a newer one? Does it have mountings for a sierra diff or is it an older design?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Harry B

posted on 9/10/05 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
It's an older design,but with Sierra mountings.I basically bought it off a guy who stripped it out to build a 2b,so alot of the parts are missing.I am tempted by a donor,but think that stripping a donor might prove too hard to take on-where the hell do I start etc?!!!!
serendipity123

posted on 9/10/05 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
i have a hood myself, if you want some advice, sell it in ebay and either build your own or buy a chassis about £500 ready weilded
Harry B

posted on 9/10/05 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Am going to (amazingly)stick this out until it is on the road.Just need alot of advice on what to do to get it running.How hard is it to strip down a Sierra?
big_wasa

posted on 9/10/05 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you have the relivant tools you can strip the full donor in one day..At the mo you can get whats left taken away for free as the price of scrap is high ..A Sierra will cost you £0-100 depending on spec.. Avoid the Dohc as its harder to get it, and the mt75 box in a R-hood..But it has been done...
Harry B

posted on 9/10/05 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Very helpful-which tools are you talking about?Engine arm welder,etc. I take it as I can get those if needs be.What about getting the rear axle out-it must be bloody hard work right?Will I need to put it up on a high rack as that may prove more difficult?
dave-69isit

posted on 9/10/05 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
chassie

were are you based mite be able to help
JoelP

posted on 9/10/05 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harry B
Very helpful-which tools are you talking about?Engine arm welder,etc. I take it as I can get those if needs be.What about getting the rear axle out-it must be bloody hard work right?Will I need to put it up on a high rack as that may prove more difficult?

its really easy to strip a sierra to bits, an impact wrench is useful but not essential. just simple tools besides that. I and many others here could tell you every single bolt involved in ANY part on the entire car.

if you're local id even help!

marshall

posted on 10/10/05 at 05:49 AM Reply With Quote
striping a sierra to bits is the fun part and you can get to know were the bits should go. give it a go its fun. if you are near me i can help 2
Harry B

posted on 10/10/05 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
I am based five minutes from Newmarket in Suffolk.I am planning on stripping the car probably in xmas but would love some help if anyone is near there.
Steve Hnz

posted on 10/10/05 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Harry, I stripped a Sierra for most of my bits, not too hard though my donor came without an engine which made it easy. Did the rest solo but help will make it easier. Hire an engine crane to lift that out, about an hour to do this, the rest can be done with a reasonable selection of sockets & spanners, the Sierras are totally metric as I recall. Some coil spring compressors will make removing the suspension simpler & safer. A ball joint splitter will help here too. Some heavy duty axle stands &/or blocks of 4"x4", say 16" long, set flat side by side with the next layer at right angles, makes for a very stable support. A pry bar or big screw driver helps to lever things apart & a good squirt of WD40 or similar on every nut & bolt you can see underneath the night b4 will make the next day easier. A selection of ice cream containers & salad pottles or suchlike from the supermarket for putting all your nuts & bolts into will help to keep track of what goes where, label them as you go. Really after that its just common sense & thinking it thru. Keep it all even if you think you won't need it, body & seats should be about all that you thow away, its amazing just what you can use & this is the place to find that out, Good luck, Cheers, Steve.
paul v6

posted on 10/10/05 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Harry,

I'm in Fordam (also 5 mins from Newmarket) I may be able to help out!

Also have a 2.9 V6 up for grabs

Paul

Harry B

posted on 10/10/05 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Paul V6-you have u2u
JoelP

posted on 10/10/05 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
to reduce the tool list, you can miss off the spring compressor. Just remove the entire strut whole (loosen the top nut when the car is on the ground), and hammer the shocker off once the pinch bolt is fully out. The spring remains contained and can be thrown away complete.

I also manage without a ball joint splitter, use a hammer on the track rodend, and a lever or hammer on the main balljoint.

[Edited on 10/10/05 by JoelP]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.