Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rorty DeDion axle assembly drawings.
Rorty

posted on 21/10/05 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Rorty DeDion axle assembly drawings.

As requested, here's my take on the Locost De Dion axle (thanks go to flak monkey for hosting it).
No warranty is given or implied as to the design's suitability for any purpose. It is as yet unproven in a Locost, but is freely offered for educational and comparative purposes.
If you decide to have a go at constructing this interpretation and injure yourself or cause some damage, then you're an idiot and there's nobody to blame but yourself.
ADDENDUM In drawing # 08 the material spec states 4140 or EN24T steel. It should read 4340 or EN24T steel.
RortyDeDionAxleAssembly

[Edited on 28/10/05 by Rorty]

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 21/10/05 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
does this fit straight into the book chassis?

CommanderAce

posted on 21/10/05 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent! Cheers bud, just what I was after!
ned

posted on 21/10/05 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
a good looking set of drawings, but i do wonder why you bothered rorty? these plans (in essence) have been around yonks, are on the locost cd and the locost7.info site iirc

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 21/10/05 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Well Ned, I haven't seen either of those sources so I'm very grateful for Rorty's efforts!

Rorty - I have a question - on your drawing you call one part the 'Watts Linkage', but it looks like a panhard rod to me. Or is that my ignorance showing?

David

ned

posted on 21/10/05 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
ok well i can't find the stuff on the locost7.info site, but i'm sure i've seen it online somewhere.

i have the locost cd so can post the pics if it'd help anyone.

Ned.

MikeR

posted on 21/10/05 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Ned seeing as you have access to three sets of plans now, what are the differences between the plans? Are they all pretty much identical? do they all use the same thickness steel?

Is there scope for a best of breed here?

(Rorty, i'd also like to add my thanks, this is the first time i've seen proper plans. I keep thinking about de-dion and you might have pushed me over the edge!)

ned

posted on 21/10/05 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
happy to admit my mistakes.

rorty's is more similar to the gts dedion as its 2 straigh pieces joined in the middle, the locost cd version is a bent tube.

pics now uploaded to my photo archive from the locost cdrom :
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=ned&folder=dedion
but they have been posted before as they're in someone else's archive already as the system renamed some with a '2' at the front to signify that name already exists in the uploads folder on the server.

I'm sure Rorty's input is and will be appreciated and is a better engineering drawing than the sketches with dimensions linked above.

Ned.

Triton

posted on 21/10/05 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Certain parts look like the one i did for the GTS....but then nowt is really new on cars anyway just done differently

Good set of plans though Rorty, i like your English Wheel stuff on your webby too....pat on the back there

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Surrey Dave

posted on 21/10/05 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
My Acrobat wont open it , says it cannot decrypt, any ideas?

[Edited on 21/10/05 by Surrey Dave]

David Jenkins

posted on 21/10/05 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
It opens OK with Adobe Acrobat 7.0.5 for me.

Maybe you need an upgrade?

David

BKLOCO

posted on 21/10/05 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Rorty.
I was going to make myself some caliper brackets.
Your drawing will save me a lot of measuring and designing.

Just as a point, there are a few dimensions missing off the drawings, although with a little common sense it's not difficult to work them out or best guess them.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Rorty

posted on 21/10/05 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zzrpowerd-locost

Yes, it's designed around The Book's chassis dimensions.

quote:
Originally posted by ned
a good looking set of drawings, but i do wonder why you bothered rorty? these plans (in essence) have been around yonks, are on the locost cd and the locost7.info site iirc
Ned.

I drew up a complete De Dion Locost when I first joined this forum, thinking it might be fun to build one (but that's the only lot of drawings at the moment with dimensions and notations).
I don't claim to break any new ground with any of it. It's all been around for decades, I just interpreted it my way and drew it all up. Much of it is common to other projects I've been involved in and I just applied it to a Locost chassis.
I can say in all honesty I have not seen the Locost CD, nor knowingly copied anyone else' drawings with the exception of the basic dimensions of the chassis. I think I may even have done my De Dion drawings before I was aware of the GTS example.

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Rorty - I have a question - on your drawing you call one part the 'Watts Linkage', but it looks like a panhard rod to me. Or is that my ignorance showing?
David

You're quite right, I did call the Panhard rod (or bits of it) a Watts linkage or something. I was in hospital recuperating after major surgery when I threw that lot together and I was seemingly still under sedation. I opened my laptop one day recently, not having used it since being in hospital, and there were all the drawings. I have no recollection of finishing them!
I only looked at them briefly (and admittedly didn't pick up on the Watts bit of it), but someone asked for De Dion drawings the other day which spurred me to stick the drawings in a PDF file, and there you have it.

quote:
Originally posted by BKLOCO
Just as a point, there are a few dimensions missing off the drawings, although with a little common sense it's not difficult to work them out or best guess them.

I didn't think there would be this much interest in the drawings, but seeing there is, I may look at them again and touch them up. If you let me know which dimensions you are after, I'll make a note and revisit it when I have some time.

Anyone can take it or leave it as they wish.

Cheers, Rorty.

Alez

posted on 21/10/05 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
"Due to their propensity to sue anything with a pulse, Americans are explicitly requested not to attempt to construct this assembly either in part or in whole."

MikeRJ

posted on 21/10/05 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Does the "hub bucket" not need cut outs for the bearing carrier bolts? It looks a bit tight in the drawing, and I think the GTS axle required cut outs.
Rorty

posted on 21/10/05 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Does the "hub bucket" not need cut outs for the bearing carrier bolts? It looks a bit tight in the drawing, and I think the GTS axle required cut outs.

Only if the screws are too long and poke right through.
IIRC, I drew it so that a 25mm (or was it 30mm?) screws would run to the end of the threaded hole only. Threads sticking out the back of the plate don't add to the overall strength or retention.
Actually, I would insert some old dud screws into the holes before welding the plate to the bucket so you don't get any spatter buggering up the threads.

Cheers, Rorty.

Rorty

posted on 21/10/05 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
rorty's is more similar to the gts dedion as its 2 straigh pieces joined in the middle, the locost cd version is a bent tube.
Ned.

I meant to add earlier, the tube in my drawing is bent and not two pieces. A proper tube bender isn't even necessary; heat from a torch and some grunt would bend the tube sufficiently. It's only a shallow angle.
Cutting and shutting the tube would be a waste of time IMHO.

Cheers, Rorty.

MikeR

posted on 21/10/05 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
ok, i've no engineering background so please ignore the ignorance.........

what made you pick the steel thicknesses you've done? Just thinking that some of them seem majorly heavy duty compared to what we're using on the locost chassis.

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 21/10/05 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if i built the book chassis this would fit straight in? The Gts de dion drawings show the bottom chassis rails flat instead of angled

Mansfield

posted on 21/10/05 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hats off to Rorty.

Seems to me that all these threads start with questions, and its damn nice to see someone start a thread with a solution.

David

MikeR

posted on 21/10/05 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
solution, solution ......... its just just made me question my whole axle decision 5 years into my build. I don't call that a solution, i call it bloody annoying & another 2 year delay.

Whats that quote again, its not the destination, its how you get there!

Rorty

posted on 21/10/05 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

So if i built the book chassis this would fit straight in? The Gts de dion drawings show the bottom chassis rails flat instead of angled

AFAIK, this will fit straight into a Book chassis, but I can't put my hand on my heart and swear to it, because I've never built a Locost.
According to the chassis dimensions I've gleaned, this will work. If the chassis dimensions everyone is using don't work, then this won't either.

Cheers, Rorty.

Rorty

posted on 22/10/05 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
ok, i've no engineering background so please ignore the ignorance.........

what made you pick the steel thicknesses you've done? Just thinking that some of them seem majorly heavy duty compared to what we're using on the locost chassis.

Admittedly, a lot of the stuff is on the "stout" side, but I specced it for a reason. I put this document together for the average home-based builder taking into account all the levels of skill. It's much easier for the novice to weld thicker material because they can get more heat into the material and accomplish better welds accordingly.
If I were to ever build one of these cars, it would be for the track only and I would use lesser thicknesses of steel (probably choose 4130 steel and go really light weight).
Take the calliper bracket for example, personally, I would make it out of 3mm 4130 steel and TIG the appropriate length of bosses into the mounting holes.
Likewise, I would make the axle brackets and Panhard brackets etc, out of 2.1mm 4130 and TIG bolster washers into the bolt holes.
If you're an accomplished fabricator then you could easily reduce the thickness of the brackets etc., but then if you were an accomplished fabricator, you'd take one look at these drawings and conclude that for yourself!
If you follow the drawings to a T, you will have an easily constructed and strong set-up but if you are well versed in car constructing, then I would only expect you to use the dimensions to build your own version.

Cheers, Rorty.

sgraber

posted on 22/10/05 at 05:35 AM Reply With Quote
Bob (Rorty), you're a good guy. Everybody is usually just sucking the information out of this place. You are one of few that is constantly refreshing it with consistent quality info. Thanks.

At first when I read this part of your pdf I was a bit miffed...

quote:
"Due to their propensity to sue anything with a pulse, Americans are explicitly requested not to attempt to construct this assembly either in part or in whole."

You mean in 'other' countries people take responsibility for their own actions?

Will you make an exception for me? I promise not to sue since I am apparently one of the few Americans that am willing to take responsibility for my own actions...

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Rorty

posted on 22/10/05 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
Bob (Rorty), you're a good guy. Everybody is usually just sucking the information out of this place. You are one of few that is constantly refreshing it with consistent quality info. Thanks.

At first when I read this part of your pdf I was a bit miffed...

quote:

You mean in 'other' countries people take responsibility for their own actions?

Will you make an exception for me? I promise not to sue since I am apparently one of the few Americans that am willing to take responsibility for my own actions...

Steve,
thanks for the kind words (check your PayPal account).
You're such a part of this comunity that I just think of you as a Brit anyway, so of course the rider doesn't apply to you.
I'm sure you've come across the sort of people that rider's aimed at though.
I had a run-in with an over protective US parent over some of my buggy plans apparently being unsuitable for their 17 year old!

Cheers, Rorty.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.