Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust for bike engine
StuartA

posted on 21/2/03 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Exhaust for bike engine

We are putting a '96 Fireblade engine in our chassis and have come to the point where we would like to get an exhaust for it. Because it is a '96 then we need to consider where we put a cat in the system and how we go about getting hold of one.
I have just spoken to someone at ST and he says that they do a whole system for £300 but in order to put the cat in the system you have to replace the back box. ST hire cats out at £120 a time, but it wasn't clear how long for or how this arrangement works. We live miles from ST and would prefer a simpler solution where the cat could be put in in place of an existing straight-thru in the system. Has anyone done this? Where did you get your exhaust? How much did you pay for the cat and what did it come from?
This applies to pretty much any bike engine, not just the 'blade.

MK9R

posted on 21/2/03 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
We are looking at using a Tiger manifold/down pipe and collector, then putting a bike can on the end. The can will be able to be taken on and off an a cat inserted between the pipe and can for MOT/SVA stuff. As the cat won't be on there at any other time, we are going use a second hand one off a production car from a scrappers which should cost peanuts.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StuartA

posted on 21/2/03 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
That is the kind of thing I was thinking of. Not very familiar with cats, so do you know if generally they are put in the pipe leading to the box? Any idea of the sort of price you pay from a scrappy, or what sort of cat is best? What about the lambda sensor, does it have any function in your design? ST reckon that it would cost about £450 to buy a new cat.
dodgyroger

posted on 21/2/03 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Stuart,

My understanding is that the CAT needs to come with an ECU to determine when it should turn on and off (based on engine temperature). I intend renting from MK for £100 for 5 days. Their system is incorporated into a silencer and is a direct replacement for the standard MK Silencer (same length) so swapping my MK silencer for their rented one and wiring it in should be straightforward in theory!)

The other argument is that Bike engines are so clean that they can pass emissions regs without a CAT. So just having a CAT visibly connected (even if it does nothing) may get it through SVA?

Roger

http://www.dodgyroger.com/locost

StuartA

posted on 21/2/03 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Roger,

Just been having a look round the 'net and had a look at Tiger's website. They appear to sell a cat for a bike exhaust for £105. I have emailed them to check the price. One of MK9R's pics appears to be of this setup. Doesn't look too bad, and would save having to hire the cat every MOT time (pay for itself in 1 year effectively).

We had the same thought regarding the cleanliness of a bike engine, but doesn't seem to hold up if you are running it in a car.

Will let you know what Tiger have to say.

dodgyroger

posted on 21/2/03 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Stuart,

Sounds v. interesting, look forward to hearing the verdict. Perhaps MK should lower their rental charge!

Roger

http://www.dodgyroger.com/locost

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.