Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air Box
zetec

posted on 28/2/03 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Air Box

I was looking to fit normal K+N filters with a hole for them to stick out of the bonnet, but now fancy trying to fit a air box and remote filter.

Has anyone else done this with either twin carbs or throttle bodies? I have seen some on the market but don't fancy paying £350+ for a carbon fibre one. Looks like the choice is source one off a bike or knock one up in ali (or get PTM to make one for me?).

kingr

posted on 28/2/03 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
What are your reasons for doing this? If you want possibly less disturbed air going to the carbs, then this may help. If you want to avoid cutting a hole in the side of your bonnet, then it's not going to help, because you're going to need trumpets in their anyway, there's a minimum distance that you can have a surface from the trumpets, and you can get K+Ns that are as narrow as feasably possible anyway, so your airbox would stick out just as much as filters would.

Kingr

zetec

posted on 28/2/03 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have the required space from the trumpet to the inside of the bonnet. Yes one reason is that I don't want a hole in the bonnet, the other is to get a cool air feed. The other problem with the K+N is that they have a solid plate opposite the throttle body throat that will reflect the induction pulse back. A curved air box would reduce this.
kingr

posted on 28/2/03 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
I know I'm still not answering your question directly, but could you not leave the bonnet intacked (or 4 subtle holes if you particulary want), and use ducting. If you don't like the K+N solid plate, how about a curved filter?

Kingr

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.