Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How do I remove the oil pick up pipe from a crossflow.
paulf

posted on 15/4/03 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
How do I remove the oil pick up pipe from a crossflow.

I have just shortened the sump on my crossflow and now need to remove and shorten the pickup pipe. However i have not been able to remove the pickup pipe as it seems to be solid in the block.I have tried molegrips but the pipe is to soft to get a grip of it.
Has anyone else removed one of these and how are they retained?
Paul.

phil m

posted on 15/4/03 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
once the retaining nut and clamp has been removed it should be pretty easy to twist out. Clearly not the case though!!!

Out of interest why have you shortened the sump on the x-flow , as the sump is only as deep as the bellhousing ?

paulf

posted on 15/4/03 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
It is a 1600 engine and had been fitted in a FWD car , the sump was from an xr2 and was an inch lower than the bottom of the type 9 bellhousing.The dipstick is also in the wrong place and i am intending to weld a pipe into the side of the sump for a dipstick. The good side of this is that the deep part of the sump is at the crank pulley end instead of flywheel end and therefore nearer to the front wheels therefore helping with clearance over speed humps etc.
Paul.
quote:

Out of interest why have you shortened the sump on the x-flow , as the sump is only as deep as the bellhousing ?

jollygreengiant

posted on 16/4/03 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Mk 1 & Mk 2 cortina's had thier dipsticks at the front mounted in the timing covers and as the timing covers were the same for all the Xflow's & pre Xflow's, all you need to do is find a timing cover & dipstick from one of those (along with oil pick-up pipe etc. and maybe even a sump). Failing that the dipstick was I think mounted down through the timing mark block (should have a cast indent to mark the spot as they never modified the casting moulds on ground of cost) so just drill the appropriate size hole where X marks the spot and then loctite the dip stick tube ( from rear) in place.

I hope this is useful

Enjoy.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Gizmo

posted on 16/4/03 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
A wee correction, JGG, you are right that the MKI & II Cortinas are at the front similar to the FWD Sumps. However the FWD timing cover is shallower and the sump is shorter in length than the RWD ones.

---john---

paulf

posted on 16/4/03 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yes i think I also have a FWD timing cover as it is shallow and wouldnt accomadate a duplex chain set up.The waterpump is also different with the outlet pipe on the exhaust side of the engine.The only reason i am going to the botther of using it is that it has been recently rebuit and bored +30 and fitted with 1300 pistons and a rebuilt head with GT spec valves , so should be ok for a start. However i will need to change the timing cover for a duplex set up if i uprate the camshaft so it may be worth considering getting a different cover now and fitting the dipstick to it.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo
A wee correction, JGG, you are right that the MKI & II Cortinas are at the front similar to the FWD Sumps. However the FWD timing cover is shallower and the sump is shorter in length than the RWD ones.

---john---

Gizmo

posted on 17/4/03 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Paul, Burtons do a competition Single chain.

---john---

[Edited on 17/4/03 by Gizmo]

paulf

posted on 17/4/03 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks i will check my Burtons catalog.
Paul.
quote]Originally posted by Gizmo
Paul, Burtons do a competition Single chain.

---john---

[Edited on 17/4/03 by Gizmo]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.