Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anybody out there with a Q-be
02GF74

posted on 13/6/06 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
anybody out there with a Q-be

Got one yesterday.

It charges via a PC USB so I am wondering if I can use a self-powered USB hub instead? e.g. this one from maplins: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45620&criteria=usb%20hub&doy=13m6

Anyone tired that or similar?

scottc

posted on 13/6/06 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
it depends what else you have plugged into the hub.

a USB port can only provide 500ma

The hub will take some, and other devices will take power unless they have they're own power supply (printers/Scanners etc).

02GF74

posted on 13/6/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottc
it depends what else you have plugged into the hub.

a USB port can only provide 500ma

The hub will take some, and other devices will take power unless they have they're own power supply (printers/Scanners etc).

nothing; it is to charge it up without a PC.

I cannot see why it shouldn't work but I'm sure there are more USB savy people out there than me....

.... actually if I knew rthe pin out of a 4 pin USB A socket, then I could use an existing 5 V power supply I have (I measured the voltages on a 4 segment jack plug and it looks like 5 V) but I;d rather pay £10 than melt my Q-be.

[Edited on 13/6/06 by 02GF74]

scottc

posted on 13/6/06 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Ooops my mistako completely misread your post and thought the hub was bus powered.
Mark18

posted on 13/6/06 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Something like this is what you want: http://cgi.ebay.ie/USB-TRAVEL-POWER-3-PINs-PLUG-UK-ADAPTER-CHARGER-4-iPod_W0QQitemZ9739071873QQcategoryZ48680QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 13/6/06 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
USB powered stuff (phone charging etc) annoys me. If I plug my phone in to PC to edit it, the power it takes from the USB stops my USB cordless mouse working
02GF74

posted on 13/6/06 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark18
Something like this is what you want: http://cgi.ebay.ie/USB-TRAVEL-POWER-3-PINs-PLUG-UK-ADAPTER-CHARGER-4-iPod_W0QQitemZ9739071873QQcategoryZ48680QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey - big thanks for that - got one for £5 - doubt I could by the bits to make one for less - did not realise such things existed!!!!

MikeRJ

posted on 13/6/06 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thw Q-Be's are neat looking gadgets, but I could never use one for the same reason that I find small mobile phones hard to use, big fingers!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.