Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW 1.8T engine
Piledhigher

posted on 24/4/03 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
VW 1.8T engine

Does anyone have experience with installing a vw/audi 1.8T 20V engine in a locost?
kingr

posted on 24/4/03 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
This has been talked about before, and I think the concensus (well, my opinion anyway) is that while it's a good engine, they're not necesarily better than other alternatives. Firstly they're expensive, because unlike zetecs, there's not tons of them being piled off the road by careless reps and the ones that do come on the market are fairly eagerly snapped up by owners of lesser Golfs or Polos (or lupos for all I know, there's bound to be someone crazy enough) so they're pretty expensive. Secondly, and probably more importantly, I'm not sure what gearbox you would use. Thirdly, the turbo element is going to add to the space required, although that's not necesarily a problem.

If you can get hold of one cheap and can sort out a gearbox, go for it, it would certainly be unique, and it certainly shouldn't be found lacking in the punch department either.

Kingr

dutchsuperseven
Builder

Posts 105
Registered 28/2/03
Location Born, Holland

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Locost-clone, powered by zetec 1.8, sierra type N9

posted on 27/4/03 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
VW 1.8T engine

quote:
Originally posted by Piledhigher
Does anyone have experience with installing a vw/audi 1.8T 20V engine in a locost?

Take a look at my personal favorite the Donkervoort at www.donkervoort.nl.
A dutch superseven. It is equipped with a
1.8 VW/Audi turbo. I don't know which box they use, but a VW LT Diesel box (no really, i'm seriour)should fit, because the flange is the same (so i'm told).
Be aware, the electrics are a mightmare on those engines. Rescued attachment driekwart-voren.jpg
Rescued attachment driekwart-voren.jpg

Sex, drugs and Supersevens

craig1410

posted on 27/4/03 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Don't know about the VW engine but some of the comments above seem sound.

However, if you're looking for a turbo motor specifically then have you considered the Rover T-Series turbo as used in the Rover 220 Turbo Coupe, Rover 620Ti and 820 Vitesse. I have a Vitesse and I think it's a great engine. It has loads and loads of grunt and can be tuned to 220BHP minimum and some engines with Mahle pistons (early ones mainly) can go to 280BHP. Mine is about 230BHP at present running 12PSi of boost.

It's also cheap as chips since many of the 820/620 cars are visiting the scrapyards now and the 220's have been visiting the nearest hedge for some time...

The only downside of this engine is that it is heavy but it has the power to compensate and I understand that a Rover SD1 2000 gearbox can be used as can a Ford MT75 with an adapter plate.

Robin Hood Engineering use this engine in their Superspec car.
See http://www.robinhoodengineering.co.uk/superspec/superspec.htm

HTH,
Craig.

ps. I'm going for the Rover V8 myself....burble burble

kingr

posted on 28/4/03 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Wow, that donkervoort is a nicely built looking car, not so sure about the nose though.

Kingr

ned

posted on 28/4/03 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
yeah, it doesn't have a '7' or 'locost' badge or grill......

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dutchsuperseven
Builder

Posts 105
Registered 28/2/03
Location Born, Holland

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Locost-clone, powered by zetec 1.8, sierra type N9

posted on 29/4/03 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Donkervoort

MAN, this is one of the most sexiest thing on earth. This is the reason why i'm building a Locost.
Those damn things shouldn't be so f*****g expensive.
I would give a leg for one of those noses.

Sex, drugs and Supersevens

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.