Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What donor?????
davehewitsonuk

posted on 27/4/03 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
What donor?????

hi,

i am trying to decide what donor car to use for my Locost. I want something that either has quite a bit of power as standard, or is quite tuneable. I would like it to produce somewhere around 160 bhp or more!!! I dont want to spend ££££££s, so does anyone have any ideas?

thanks

Dave

chrisg

posted on 27/4/03 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
spooky -- deja vu!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

ned

posted on 28/4/03 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
These same posts keep coming up - do a search!

generally speaking a 2ltr car engine will give you that sort of power. I intend using a vauxhall 2ltr xe - 150bhp standard, 175 with webbers etc. (we built a 220bhp engine at the weekend for racing - race cams, light flywheel, vernier pulleys, dry sump etc etc)

also consider zetec, duratec, toyota 4age, big bike engines (blackbird, hayabusa)...

also v6 and v8 have been done though in my opinion make the car a bit heavy.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thetankwad

posted on 28/4/03 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Try a rover V8. 155bhp standard, tuneable, unbreakable, and aluminium means they only weigh slightly more than a Pinto. Finding one is an issue, and avoid landrover numbers, they have lo-comp pistons which are unneccesary unless your a really fat bas**rd
Browser

posted on 28/4/03 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
16 valve Citroen BX or Peugeot 405 mi16. 160 bhp as standard and cheap to buy (my BX cost £150). This way you can get the wiring loom and save yourself a HUGE amount of hassle, as well as anything else you think might be useful. One thing though, BX owners are starting to get sniffy about who they sell to as they are aware that we kitcar vandals just want to scrap their pride and joy for its power plant & wiring and phase 1 BXs are starting to get scarce. 405 owners, on the other hand don't have the same problems as far as I'm aware.

craig1410

posted on 28/4/03 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yep Rover V8 and I think you'll find it to be lighter than a Pinto in fact. (Certainly lighter than a 2 litre pinto) I've seen figures that put it at 315lbs wet weight with all ancillaries.

155 BHP without breaking a sweat and 220BHP with moderate tuning (still very driveable and reliable) 480BHP with twin turbo's if you are really mad...

To give you an idea how light it is, I have a Vitesse bare block in my garage which I can lift with one hand and the heads are equally light.

Other factors are it's simplicity - using a carb model you have virtually nothing to do in terms of electronics and it is not fuel injected hence fuel pressures are nice and low and easy to plumb in. Keep the plugs clean and the oil clean and it'll burble along nicely for many miles.

They are out there and can be had for £200 or so in running order. The manual gearboxes are quite rare and will cost about the same again if you can find one. If you are happy with an Automatic gearbox then you will have plenty of choices. They run on unleaded fuel no probs btw.

Cheers,
Craig.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.