Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bike engin ??
ceebmoj

posted on 1/5/03 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
bike engin ??

Hi all I have been thinking about a bike engine for my car but I know next to nothing about them. So witch engine how much will it cost and where do I get it from what are the other considerations of this type of set up ???
ned

posted on 1/5/03 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
fireblades seem most common (a whole class in the 750mc race series is dedicated to 'stndard' blade engines)
R1, zx9r are also common - i think the above are the cheaper options though stand to be corrected.

More expensive options are honda blackbird, zzr110 or similar, suzuki hayabusa (the big one)

the blade etc I've seen go for as little as £5-600, a blackbird or hayabusa you could be looking at several £K depending on model you go for - hayabusa the most expensive as used in motorsport quite a lot now.

Things to bear in mind, sorting out wiring can be a nightmare (some manufacturers have a resistor in the ignition/key switch to stop hot-wiring - not shown in manuals for obvious reasons!) also need to get a reverse gear sorted - these can be bought now, exhausts can be a hastle - often 1-offs and an engine cradle needed as opposed to mounts - companies make these now for popular engines/chassis. oh and connecting the prop to the engine I've heard of problems there too.

Personally I'm not a fan but you can get v.good power-weight though generally thought of as a bit more of a tricky installation and bit more expensive than standard car engine.

perhaps someone doing/done one can comment??

Andrew.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
escary

posted on 1/5/03 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
bike engine

i don't know if anyone has used this unit yet, but sourcing a yamaha fzr 1000 exup engine may be worth a thought.
This was pre blade and in it's time the fastest production motorcycle with some 130+ break from standard and now aged it'll cost less than a blade, bird or busa
with few fancy ignition set ups it should be an easier option.
After sva if i'm going for a bike engine it'll be one of these.
You'll need the exup valve for all the fun out of the engine but you will have to custom build for most lowcost exhausts with bike engines so this shouldn't be any more difficult than the more common bike engines.

Hope it helps

Regards
Ewan

escary

posted on 1/5/03 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
bike engine again

this then brings you to the next dilema.

the one i've been thinking of, once your car is built and sva'd do want to drive it or hack it to bits and change the drive train?

if your'e book building with awesome crossflow power then you could get a shagged 1.6x flow and send it away for a wee re bore to 1740cc bolt on a four branch and some 40's and you have an easy install with usable reliable power and less hassle.

All and any comments greatfully appreciated

Ewan

Jon Ison

posted on 1/5/03 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
fitting a bike engine is IMO easier than a CEC,

no worries bout belts, alternators, clearences ect...... lift it in yourself, usually all you need is,

live feed to CDi box
1 wire from voltage reg to battery for chargin
1 earth
1 wire to starter solenoid......

don't forget the "free" 6 speed sequentional box that comes with a bike engine........to get the same performance from a CEC you need to spend £££££££'s

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.