Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Japanese car and bike engine imports
Scouse Monkey

posted on 16/5/03 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Japanese car and bike engine imports

A few years ago my sister blew her Nissan engine and we got a low mileage import from Japan. I was wondering if anyone had done this for car and bike engines and knew of any decent companies. (and horror stories)

Also I don't know a great deal about Japanese engines and was wondering what Honda/Toyota/Nissan engies would be good donors - ie light, powerful, easy to tune. (if it helps I am not bothered about gearbox fitting as I want to put it in the back but I am sure other people are so if you have any info about adapters etc put it on)

Cheers,

Andy

IanMarg

posted on 18/5/03 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Jap units

Hi Scouse.
The best unit by far is the 4AGE Toyota 1600 or 2000 units as used in early MR2's
Mounting it in the back would be quite easy and you can also retain the original gearbox so the need for an adapter is gone.
The only things to watch out for are driveshaft length and positioning of the engine itself.
Be careful not to go to far back or the balance of the car will suffer.

all the best with the build

Ian

Chazzy

posted on 18/5/03 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I'm using the 4AGE 1600 toyota, 8000rpm rev limit about 135 bhp on twin45's, its a great engine, very flexible and just keeps on revving (not a patch on BEC's though for screaming revs) Raw engineering in Hereford import their engines direct from Japan, also they are early units so no cat converters.
Good luck with the rear layout
Chas

billy

posted on 18/5/03 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
i thought some of the new jap stuff like hoda etc engines span the wrong way ??? as id love to use a honda v-tev engine that revs to 9

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

Scouse Monkey

posted on 18/5/03 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
V-tec was what I was looking for (would be using Honda gearbox etc anyway). They are using them in Elise upgrades now and are a bit expensive as they are quite new.

Still would like to use a bike engine though but would like something with torque over 110Nm which is looking a bit expensive. Maybe I should just go for 2 blade engines (or two 750s) - anyone got any experience of this? Seen Z-cars double engined mini (site here)but am dubious at to whether this is good for the engines as this is something like the idea I have in mind.

I have found a place selling imported Toyota engines (4age etc) and subaru engines but no others. I would really like to find somewhere importing bike engines, a nice ZX12 would do!!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.