Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best modification for my car
gingerprince

posted on 26/9/06 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Best modification for my car

Yesterday I made the most effective modification to my car - driver training!

Did the carlimits.com training day in Essex with Andy Walsh. Really great day - learned (and practiced!) about things like wheel control, trail-braking, slip angles, controlling understeer/oversteer etc. Was SOAKING WET though, so was difficult to master at times, but if you can do it in the wet you can do it anywhere

Recommend it to anyone who want to improve their track day skills.

REALLY wish I had space for a trailer, a trailer, and something to tow a trailer though, because the 400 mile round trip I did from Leeds to Cambridge to North Weald and back was a bit of a slog in the ol' BEC

Oh and incidentally, I measured my fuel consumption on the way home - got 33mpg out of the 'blade - over 150miles to the tank - didn't think that was bad!

Tiger Super Six

posted on 26/9/06 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good - What is the cost of the day and did you have to use your own car?

Mark.

Mark

Tiger Avon

iank

posted on 26/9/06 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Video looks interesting at £14.50 inc P+P

Clip here:
http://www.carlimits.com/static/files/bendingtherules01.wmv

gingerprince

posted on 26/9/06 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Super Six
Sounds good - What is the cost of the day and did you have to use your own car?

Mark.

It's £180 for the day (based on 4 people). You use your own car, but I think you can hire one of their Elises but I'm not sure how much more that is - probably at least a couple of hundred. I prefer it in my own car anyway, that way you get the feel for exactly how _your_ car works. And there's no chance of crashing into anything, all it costs is a bit of brakes and tyres (and not much tyres either if it's wet like it was for me!)

quote:
Originally posted by iank
Video looks interesting at £14.50 inc P+P

Clip here:
http://www.carlimits.com/static/files/bendingtherules01.wmv

Yes it gets good reviews - I plan on ordering it to suppliment the course. Some of the stuff he told us was physics that I just nodded at but the practice made sense, watching the video should help me understand why things work - plus add on things that weren't covered on the day.

rusty nuts

posted on 26/9/06 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Should have stopped for a cuppa on your way past . Just off the M11 between junction 10 and 11.
Manic mechanic

posted on 26/9/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Driver training

If anybody is interested I offer 1-2-1 trackday training and because i work in the motorsport industry i have several ARDS Instructors based all over the country that work with me so we could come to you at your nearest track. We offer various cars to learn in including my cosworth turbo MK or use your own car. For just an instructor for the day we charge from £200 for upto 2 people.
iank

posted on 27/9/06 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
web site says hiring the elise costs £500 for the day, though they might sting you for extra if you Clarkson the tyres.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.