Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: gearboxes type 9
P4

posted on 19/5/03 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
gearboxes type 9

I have a Ford Sierra C-type 4-speed gearbox. I want to replace it with a 5-speed type 9.
How can I tell the difference between a type 9 and an N-type gearbox?
Will a type 9 fit on to a C-type bell housing?
Is the input shaft the same length?
Is the input shaft the same diameter and has the same number of splines as the C-type?
Thanks!

P4

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/5/03 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
N ine

same thing

geddit?

Rob Lane

posted on 20/5/03 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Not quite the same! They are often given the same designation but not by Ford!

There is a diffrence in the input shaft length of approx 1 inch. This is what causes so many problems for the Caterham guys.

'N' is usually fitted to standard Sierras.

Theres more info on my site www.robs7.com
Rob Lane

[Edited on 20/5/03 by Rob Lane]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/5/03 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
so would that be the difference mentioned between a V6 capable and a non V6 box?

Cos I have a V6 box and it sure looks identical to a whatever the other one is.

Rob Lane

posted on 20/5/03 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, they look identical and have just the input shaft length difference UNLESS you have a late Scorpio box which has a small cover below input shaft with a corresponding bellhousing cutout to suit.
Same box just different bellhousing.

The type C was fitted to some Sierras, Granadas etc and is bolt compatible bellhousing wise but has differing input shaft lengths according to model along with slightly different spigot diameter, .590 against .50 which has longer input shaft. The standard type C has 1 and half ribs below front of box and heavy duty has 2 ribs. Usually a P100 fitment etc.

Unfortunately there are so many variants ( I have at least 30) it's hard to post the differences between boxes but at least all later boxes share same bellhousing to engine bolt pattern.

I fight shy normally of posting this info as I get jumped on as a definitive source as to what fits what. I have some info but not for exchange purposes. i.e. will a Cortina Mk1 box fit a Sierra and what clutch, bellhousing arm or which hydraulic cylinder (There's even 3 of those!!) etc.

Peteff

posted on 20/5/03 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
There are different thrust bearings in Sierra too. If you use the wrong one it eats through the diaphragm spring. Nephew found out the hard way in his 1800cvh. It won't go into gear he said on the phone.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

P4

posted on 21/5/03 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Thanks for the information. I think that I can source a suitable box with the information you have all supplied. A special thank you to Rob for his detailed information.

P4

P4

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.