Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil Cooler Sandwich Plate
givemethebighammer

posted on 28/9/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Oil Cooler Sandwich Plate

I have a second hand oil cooler sandwich plate. It has what looks like some sort of valve incorporated into it's design (spring and ball affair). Does this sound like a non return valve or could it be a thermostat. Other sandwich plates I have seen don't have anything like this.

?

NeilP

posted on 28/9/06 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
If there is just a ball and spring it sounds like a pressure relief valve - A thermostat is usually a wax canister affair...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

02GF74

posted on 29/9/06 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
as monkey face says. now depending on the design, there will be a cylinder inside a coil spring; you can the the part that I mean it is at the top right corner of the part that is in tit the lower left hand corner below.

SeaBass

posted on 29/9/06 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like an excess pressure release valve - like you'd have on the oil pump??

givemethebighammer

posted on 29/9/06 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I took another look this evening at the sandwich plate looks very like the one indicated below (red arrow). It has the extra housing on it (blue arrow) behind which is a spring pushing against a metal canister of some sort (it looked like a ball on first inspection). With the canister pushed back by the spring it looks like oil can flow from one side of the sandwich plate to the other (yellow arrow). However with the spring compressed the oil will be redirected through the oil cooler. I'm fairly certain it is a thermostat but I stand to be corrected. Rescued attachment oilstats.jpg
Rescued attachment oilstats.jpg

ChrisGamlin

posted on 1/10/06 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yep Ive got one on my R1 engine and its a thermostat so the oil only gets directed through the cooler (ie through the outlet hole) when its hot.

[Edited on 1/10/06 by ChrisGamlin]

NS Dev

posted on 2/10/06 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
yep 16v vauxhall sandwich plate is the same

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

chrisj

posted on 2/10/06 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Have that particular mocal plate which I use. It allows for a flow of 10% of the oil to the cooler until the oil temp reaches 80 degrees and then opens fully to allow 100% flow, the idea is that a fully sealed system wouldn't allow a gradual change rather than a sudden cold rush of oil out of the closed system at once.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.