Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brakes which ones
rotax78

posted on 18/10/06 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
brakes which ones

i'm going to use standard solid discs and calipers on the rear, an easy choice as it seems all sierras, except 4x4 cossies use them. My problem is what to use on the front i don't really know whats available (sierra wise). Do i want vented, solid, big, small? I wouldn't have thought vented necessary as it's a very low weight car, and would also be saving weight at the same time. sugestions and reasonings would be appreciated, i'm after a good cheap setup not necessarily bling bling. so the relevant sierra models and years etc would be great so that i can buy new from motorfactors, without the hassle of wondering whether i'm going to get the wrong stuff. cheers simon its goining to be a bec by the way
Manic mechanic

posted on 18/10/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
My MK has standard 1.8 Sierra vented disc's and single piston calipers at the moment and they stop 230hp cossie turbo so they should be no problem with a bec. I am however swapping mine as soon as poss to a 500 cossie brake set up.
marcjagman

posted on 19/10/06 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
I would say go for vented, drilled/grooved is a better option for more stopping power but don't go stingy on your pads. Get the best you can afford they don't glaze over so easily.
RazMan

posted on 19/10/06 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I used Capri vented discs which will then accept a variety of calipers. I went for Wilwood 4 pots.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 19/10/06 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Just remember it's probably easier to over-brake a se7en than it is to have an inadequate setup.

A standard seirra weighs at least double a se7en, and the brakes are enough to stop all that weight from the same sorts of speeds on the road.

Hellfire

posted on 19/10/06 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra brakes are designed for a stopping a car more than twice the weight of your BEC (Good choice of engine BTW ) so they'll definitely stop your car without too much trouble. However, what you might need to be concerned about is the excessive weight of the Sierra brakes.

It is generally a good idea to reduce both the unsprung weight and also the rotational mass on such a lightweight car. Go for solid discs and lightweight calipers such as Wilwoods or Hi-Spec etc, if you can stretch your budget far enough. You'll reduce your unsprung weight by about 15kg over the standard Sierra vented discs and calipers and will stop your car just as good, if not better

Phil

[Edited on 19-10-06 by Hellfire]

TimC

posted on 19/10/06 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I second everything that Steve says.

Vented Sierra are OTT if you ask me - certainly were on my BEC Indy.

To do it cheap, I'd investigate the very early Sierra (1300 I think) set-up that apparently used solid discs!?

StevieB

posted on 19/10/06 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
The only problem I've found in planning for Wilwoods is that to get the correct fit, you either need to buy the full kit which includes larger diameter discs, or find someone willing to machine some mounting brackets (which I haven't yet!)

Ultimately, I'd like to use standard sierra discs with wilwood calipers on mine, but can't get the brackets sorted yet.

chriscook

posted on 19/10/06 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
As hellfire says one of the main reasons for using alloy calipers is the saving in unsprung mass.

Don't bother with drilled or grooved discs as this doesn't make any difference in most applications.

rotax78

posted on 19/10/06 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for your input guys i dont really want to go to the expense of willwoods etc. i think unvented seems the way forward but does anyone know which model sierra they come off
TimC

posted on 20/10/06 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure it was the 1300. I found a brilliant brake info site once - I'll have a good look for it on the weekend.

40inches

posted on 20/10/06 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rotax78
thanks for your input guys i dont really want to go to the expense of willwoods etc. i think unvented seems the way forward but does anyone know which model sierra they come off

1300 and 1600,s just ask for solid disc at your local factor, fitting the same on all models.If you are around the Sheffield area Mosbrough Motor Spares sell Brembo disks(to order).
I got a pair of Brembo solid disks from Mach#1 for about £20.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.