Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Indy Front wheel locks under braking
ReMan

posted on 8/11/06 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Indy Front wheel locks under braking

My Indy tends to lock up the drivers front wheel first in the dry.
In the absense of a full corner weighting session, which I may do next year, what is the first tweak to do? (Assuming that the brakes are perfect).
Do I jack up one rear wheel or the other front wheel.
I don't want to drop the front any more as the wishbones are only just level now and the ride height about right.
I have about a 15-20mm rake on the body, any input

Tiger Super Six

posted on 8/11/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
The front wheels are supposed to lock up first aren't they??

If the rears locked first the car would spin??

Mark.

Mark

Tiger Avon

nitram38

posted on 8/11/06 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I think that you will always get this in a lightweight car.
I have had a few slides, but mainly because I was driving TOO BLOODY FAST !!!!!!!!

indykid

posted on 8/11/06 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
put more weight on that corner?

screw the spring seat up the shock body a shade and see how it goes. or do the same on the nearside rear.

i'm guessing, but it would appear logical.
if it's any consolation, mine usually locked the front offside first too
tom

Hellfire

posted on 8/11/06 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Until you get it properly corner weighted, you could try adjusting the rear spring platforms until the rear end is horizontal with you sat in the driving seat, ensuring that the ride height at the front is slightly lower than at the rear.

Phil

Jonte

posted on 8/11/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
My Indy always first locks the front right wheel first. This is most common when I turn right in good speed and need to break
But that depends on that I´m driving a LHD and most of the engine weight is more to the left.

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 8/11/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've only tested it hard in a straight dry line and it's just a bit early so would be good to put a tad more weight on it to stop it.
It does not pull to one side at all prior to lock up and the brakes were new, so i'm fairly sure the brakes arent sticking or anything.
The car as a whole is handling as well as it has now, so the settings ar,nt far out and i've balanced it up to allow for the drivers vast weight.
It's nice othrs cars do it!
So which way is it? Nearside rear up?, Drivers front up? or Drivers rear down?

alister667

posted on 8/11/06 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
What you can do to for the time being is screw the the spring platform up a turn or so at a time on the wheel that locks up first. This will effectivly increase the weight on that wheel (making it harder to lock), and you can check to see how it does under braking. You'll do well to get them locking exactly together, but get them close and it's a big improvment in the stopping power.
To do you corner weights right you'd have to start adjusting the diagonal pairs, but you'll get most benefit from getting your fronts sorted out to allow your brakes to work as well as possible.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Manic mechanic

posted on 8/11/06 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi to another MK owner in Leicestershire, i see lots of people on here but never see them on the road. Anyway to your question, I would think the fronts sould lock up in a straight line if pushed hard as mine does and I am on very hard springs and very sticky R888 tyres.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.