Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dumb Carb Question.
The Baron

posted on 15/11/06 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Dumb Carb Question.

For a ford pinto carburettor (vv) with standard mechanical fuel pump. Do I need a return fuel line to the fuel tank?

I forgot to check all those years ago when I stripped my donor.

Cheers in advance.

The Baron

JackNco

posted on 15/11/06 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
i THINK i remember seeing in a race car is born that he said a return line is only for injection as he was using carbs, but im sure some one with some actual experience would be more certain

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 15/11/06 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't got a fuel return and I'm having flooding problems at the moment. I don't know if this is down to carb set-up or not yet though.

When I asked the question, some people were running fine without a fuel return and others had added a fuel return, so it's not really clear to me whetehr it's needed or not. I hope not, because I don't want to have to pull the car apart to put one in

Macbeast

posted on 15/11/06 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
My 1.6 Pinto Sierra has a return, but it comes from the fuel vapour separator and I guess goes back to the tank.

I think I've seen someone on here say the vapour separator is not really necessary on a seven type car, so the return wouldn't be necessary.

Surrey Dave

posted on 15/11/06 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Regulator?

If you have flooding probs after leaving the return off you could fit a fuel regulator
nick205

posted on 15/11/06 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
If you have flooding probs after leaving the return off you could fit a fuel regulator

That's probably the next move to fit an adjustable one and play around with the pressure.

MkIndy7

posted on 15/11/06 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
If your early in your build then fit one,

From our experience of atleast 3 Pinto Engined cars at our group that its required or certainly better to have.

Also should you invest in bigger carbs or Fuel injection where a regulator is involved then you will require a return, and it'll be a hell of alot harder to fit it one when the cars all finished!.

piddy

posted on 15/11/06 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I had a webber 32/36 carb on my last kit.
It was brought new and had a return outlet, but I had no return pipe. The kit came with a T connection that fitted in line into the feed pipe and then to the return on the carb,so any fuel leaving the carb from the return was taken up with the fuel being feed.
I hope this make sense.

MkIndy7

posted on 15/11/06 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by piddy
I had a webber 32/36 carb on my last kit.
It was brought new and had a return outlet, but I had no return pipe. The kit came with a T connection that fitted in line into the feed pipe and then to the return on the carb,so any fuel leaving the carb from the return was taken up with the fuel being feed.
I hope this make sense.

Is there different types of return then?
I thought there was only the vapour separator canister type, that was mounted on the wing of the donor. Never heard of one where it just returns straight from the carb.

With the Vapour seperator type we've had:

No seperator fitted and no return - Excessive Fuel consumption (when retro fitted consumption improved)

Seporator fitted and the return tee'd into the pre-pump feed line - Car wouldn't start or run until this link was shut.

Our vapour seperator will in the space of starting the car and reversing it back into the garage fill about a 1L container with petrol, so it obviously does something!.

This has been covered many times on here with very differing answers some people say the short return works, others don't.

Think I've argued my corner lol... and on a finishing note: if it wasn't required why did Ford spend the extra money designing and fitting one.

Peteff

posted on 15/11/06 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I had to fit one as the mechanical pump beat the float valve and flooded constantly. I made a return from copper brake pipe to the neck of the tank and when the engine is running there is a constant stream of petrol back to the tank.
Fabricated engine mount
Fabricated engine mount

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.