Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: best way to run an engine thats not in a car?
goodall

posted on 6/3/07 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
best way to run an engine thats not in a car?

what would be the best way to attempt this?
owelly

posted on 6/3/07 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Bolt it to a frame that is fairly heavy. Attach a radiator full of water to the front add some fuel and a bit of battery and watch it go. Make sure you have a means to cut the ignition!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
goodall

posted on 6/3/07 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
would strapping it down to the engine crane suffice and then loading it maybe with the front wheel of a nearby car?

oh yes i forgot about the radiator, oops! thanks for the reminder as for the rest iv thought about it

[Edited on 6/3/07 by goodall]

owelly

posted on 6/3/07 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have started engines with them scurrying around on the floor but it's not good! They try to spin around and flip over when you try to start them and even more so when you stop them! As long as the engine is stable and strapped to something heavy, you should be OK.
A pallet and ratchet strap would be good!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 6/3/07 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have run an engine sat on a trailer...

A single ratchet strap around it does the job... Rather scary though!

goodall

posted on 6/3/07 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
ah so no real need for the car loading it then?

so maybe once i manage to free the engine up tomorrow ill give this a shot, just need to find an oil filter as i destroyed the one thats was ion the engine removing it four years ago maybe even 5 year ago i forget it hasent run for about 10 year i think but theres always hope with these things because my father and i started an engine didnt run for 14years after a days work in the summer but it wasnt seized solid

scoobyis2cool

posted on 6/3/07 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Something that's just sprung to mind, you may already know the answer to this, but should you run it with the clutch attached or not? Just thinking it may smooth the revs out a bit?

Pete

[Edited on 6/3/07 by scoobyis2cool]

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

robertst

posted on 7/3/07 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Food For thought

What about this?

Should be sufficient. an H-shaped structure (maybe 50x50x3mm box section is more than enough) taking advantage of the engine mounts for the locost and the rubbers (or maybe make them higher to avoid a hernia) and use the bellhousing holes to screw in reinforcing supports which are connected to the base thrugh a bracket and a bolt (8.8 grade, bla bla bla).

that should do the job...

[edit:] sorry the engine drawn looks more like a toaster

[Edited on 7/3/07 by robertst] Rescued attachment idea.jpg
Rescued attachment idea.jpg

Tom

Johnmor

posted on 7/3/07 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Like this

I ran my engine on a frame with no problems, fuel tanks is a bit iffy though.

Nice fuel tank
Nice fuel tank

blueshift

posted on 7/3/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I ran my v8 in a frame, I welded up a little cradle but so long as it's solidly supported that'll do.

you don't need a clutch or any load etc, the engine is designed to start and idle with no load on it after all. It should have the flywheel on though!

good idea to have it full of coolant if you're running for more than a few seconds.

For fuel I ran mine off a jerry can, fuel out and return lines stuffed in the top with a cloth jammed in the mouth then lashed up with tape to reduce vapour and flash risk issues. Ran it outdoors though, and no smoking!

I used the donor steering column with ignition key gubbins for a convenient way of doing the electrics and having the ability to turn it off.

video here if curious, linky linky

scoobyis2cool

posted on 7/3/07 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Do you need to hook up any sort of exhaust system? I thought I'd read before you should attach at least the headers, but looking at your video I can't see any and it seems to be working fine, no big flames or anything!

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

goodall

posted on 7/3/07 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
well it wont be until the weekend till i get to try appears that i have a seized piston

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.