Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Home made exhaust
paulbeyer

posted on 28/3/07 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
Home made exhaust

Without having to trawl through everyones picture archives does anyone have any pictures of an exhaust made from s/s dairy bends they could point me at? Especially a 4 into 1 system. I don't know how to create the 4 pipe collector.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

Fred W B

posted on 28/3/07 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
exhaust
exhaust

Collector is a piece of 3 inch pipe forced into a sqare shape with rounded edges by pressing 4 bits of steel bar of the approx header dia welded together into one end, and a fabricated 3 to 2 inch cone on the other by cutting wedges out the pipe, bending closed and welding up.

The welded up 4 bar former obviously has to have the end tapered to fit into the pipe

Don't forget to weld a star plate between the 4 pipes before you put the collecter on

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 28/3/07 by Fred W B]

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/3/07 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
nice job

[Edited on 28/3/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 28/3/07 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Lovely bit of piping....

Steve

smart51

posted on 28/3/07 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostparts.net/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=814bka9qc9ek9pvu290auml7j4

look at these self assembly exhausts.

MikeR

posted on 28/3/07 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
look up NS Dev and exhaust.

he's made a lovely system and made a 4-1 collector.

NS Dev

posted on 28/3/07 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
exhaust 4
exhaust 4

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

paulbeyer

posted on 28/3/07 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

It's hard to tell from that angle but isn't NS Dev's exhaust a 4-2-1? NS, Fred thats amazing work on both parts. Would you be able to form a collector like yours Fred if it was made from s/s?

Thanks for the info gents.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

Fred W B

posted on 28/3/07 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the kind words guys.

The "classic" way to do a 4 branch collector is as NS dev has done, but with 4 bends cut and tigged together.

Mine is not as neat, but it gets the job done and means buying 4 less bends.

As for fabricating in stainless, steel is steel, in fact ss may form better as it is more ductile than carbon steel - which my pipes are.

If you don't have a 3" pipe and a suitable press and former, you would have to fabricate from sheet.

email me if you would like some more detail on how I made the manifolds

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 28/3/07 by Fred W B]

ayoungman

posted on 28/3/07 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
weve certainly got some talented fellas on this site haven't we.?

Switch to green with envy mode !

"just like that !"

NS Dev

posted on 28/3/07 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulbeyer
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

It's hard to tell from that angle but isn't NS Dev's exhaust a 4-2-1? NS, Fred thats amazing work on both parts. Would you be able to form a collector like yours Fred if it was made from s/s?

Thanks for the info gents.

yeah, 4-2-1 but it shows the collectors, made as fred suggested, and the same works for 4-1, you just make two slash cuts in the collector bends, at 90 degrees to each other, and weld them all together.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 28/3/07 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=41221

link to thread where i asked questions about collector fabbing

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

TangoMan

posted on 28/3/07 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't got any pictures but I made my collector by shaving down four lengths of pipe (same as primaries) progressively from one end to the other and them welded them together to form a funnel. I works OK but was a bit time consuming.

If that doesn't make sense, One end was around 270degrees left on the pipe while the narrow end, sized to fit the main pipe, was around 100 degrees of pipe.

I would draw a picture but I ned to get back to work.

Steve

Summer's here!!!!

paulbeyer

posted on 28/3/07 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent info and pictures, thanks. What do you recommend for cutting the pipe work accurately? I can imagine that it would be easy to screw up a join if you dont get the cuts sorted out properly. I was thinking angle grinder with a thin cutting disk but I can see that wandering too much.

Simon

posted on 28/3/07 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote

ATB

Simon

JoelP

posted on 28/3/07 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
a 0.8mm disc in a grinder can be remarkably accurate. I use one at work to cut extractor chinmeys to length. Its quite easy.
MikeRJ

posted on 29/3/07 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
I found an air powered hacksaw to be excellent for cutting thin wall tube such as exhausts. The stroke is very small so it doesn't tend to snag on the edges of the material as a hand hacksaw would.

e.g. one like this.

[Edited on 29/3/07 by MikeRJ]

NS Dev

posted on 29/3/07 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I would say it would be impossible to have made my manifold without a belt linisher.

They are cheap enough now, the ones with a 4" wide belt and a disc sander on the side. You can square the ends with the table on the disc sander and debur and profile using the belt, plus re-angle ends until you have no gap before welding.

To give you some idea of how good the fits need to be......I used about 3" of filler rod on that manifold, all the rest was done without filler (Autogenous welding I think its called), apart from the head flange to pipe welds.

paulbeyer

posted on 29/3/07 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
I would say it would be impossible to have made my manifold without a belt linisher.

They are cheap enough now, the ones with a 4" wide belt and a disc sander on the side. You can square the ends with the table on the disc sander and debur and profile using the belt, plus re-angle ends until you have no gap before welding.

Hi Mate do you mean this sort of thing?

Ebay linky

If so any recommendations as I was about to buy a standard bench grinder anyway.

Just noticed that was a 2" width belt. Probably to0 small.

[Edited on 29/3/2007 by paulbeyer]

[Edited on 29/3/2007 by paulbeyer]

timf

posted on 30/3/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
this one i think

A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him."
- Sir Winston S. Churchill, 1952

paulbeyer

posted on 30/3/07 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Mmmmm, looks nice (read expensive). Do you know make and model?

PeterW

posted on 30/3/07 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like an Axminster one

Here

Cheers

Pete

paulbeyer

posted on 30/3/07 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the quick response Pete. Tis deffo an axminster. Price is not too shabby either. Are Axminster tools any good? Must admit I've never heard of them before.

MikeRJ

posted on 30/3/07 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulbeyer
Cheers for the quick response Pete. Tis deffo an axminster. Price is not too shabby either. Are Axminster tools any good? Must admit I've never heard of them before.

Quite a well known company IMO, they have a good reputation for customer service. The lower priced lathes and mills they sell tend to be the better quality chinese products, I suspect that probably applies to the unbranded power tools as well.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.