Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Would a chassis fit on a car roof?
Simon W

posted on 9/5/07 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Would a chassis fit on a car roof?

Has anyone collected a bare chassis by putting it on there car roof bars? I have a Mondeo and am just wondering if this is practical or whether I need to hire a van.
twybrow

posted on 9/5/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I think it has been done. The weight shouldn't be a problem. If you have a lot more then I would just hire a van.... If not, have a try! Most roof racks have a 60-80kg limit, so i think you will be way under that.
nib1980

posted on 9/5/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
if it's a bare c hassis I don't see it being a problem, just strap it down well
Hammerhead

posted on 9/5/07 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
I collected my mk indy chassis on my roof, (Subaru Forester) I lashed it down quite well and it was fine for the 30 mile journey. I think it is at the limit of weight for roof barsso it might be worth checking the spec of the ones you have.
Not sure if police would stop you to check how secure it is.

jollygreengiant

posted on 9/5/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Luego Viento chassis picked up from peterborough to northampton area about 40 miles. On the top of a Vauxhall Omega Estate with roof bars rated at (IIRC) 200kg. All the body panels fitted inside, laid flat along load space from tail gate to laid down front seat.
Just put some pipe wrap foam around roof bars & tie down WELL.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Ivan

posted on 9/5/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Have carried my one on an old Volvo S40 with no problems experienced.

smart51

posted on 9/5/07 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
My MNR chassis was delivered on the roof bars of an astra van, with all the other stuff in the back.
BenB

posted on 9/5/07 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yup- ditto. Definately do-able depending on the rating of your roof rack... I've seen quite a few chassis picked up that way....
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 9/5/07 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Moved my car with a mini metro body panels and all
In fact it is the traditional way of collection of the sevens chassis.

The lotus sevens book ortenburg has pictures of this happening on some very old cars....

Colnago_Man

posted on 9/5/07 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
I collect my chassis on top of my Mondeo Estate last month, 370 mile round trip, no troubles at all.
The roof limit for the Mondeo is 70kg, my chassis was 66kg so it was cutting it close. Although when you think about it you can roll a 1300kg Mondeo onto its roof and its does crumble so 66kg on the roof is nothing.

garage19

posted on 9/5/07 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Colnago_Man
I collect my chassis on top of my Mondeo Estate last month, 370 mile round trip, no troubles at all.
The roof limit for the Mondeo is 70kg, my chassis was 66kg so it was cutting it close. Although when you think about it you can roll a 1300kg Mondeo onto its roof and its does crumble so 66kg on the roof is nothing.

I get what you are saying but i think you will find it is the limit of the fixings that hold the roof bars to the car that are the critical part.

Duncan_P

posted on 9/5/07 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it is possible....picked mine up with olde Astra, and drove bloody miles all the way back home with it.

Some things to think about

1) Use someone else's car

2) Strap the chasis down to the car as well as the roofrack, minimises the chances of disasters

3) If the floor is fitted try and bring something to stop the floor vibrating (we had to stick below 60mph or it was deafening

We didnt have any problems apart from the noise

Even spoke to the old bill about it and they were fine with it as long as it was within the confines of the car.

mackei23b

posted on 9/5/07 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
yes, MK on the top of a freelander!
indykid

posted on 9/5/07 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
it's perhaps somewhat more questionable with a cage on, and on the cheapest roofbars the world has ever seen, but there'll be a generous safety margin in the max load limit of the roofbars. mine were fine anyway.

i got home safe from maltby to dewsbury up the A1. i only went A1, not M1 so i could stop at ackworth on the way back.

tom Rescued attachment caged chassis on roofbars.jpg
Rescued attachment caged chassis on roofbars.jpg

Pezza

posted on 9/5/07 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Very top of Anglesey to gatwick fine on the vans roof rack

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

Avoneer

posted on 9/5/07 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Like Indykids, I collected about the same weight (chassis and cage) on the roof of my scenic. Chassis was about 90kg and was fine on the M1.

Go for it.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon W

posted on 10/5/07 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Another option I might check is getting it delivered. No idea of the cost on that though. Oakham (or wherever the company that used to be called Luego) to Lytham.
Mark18

posted on 16/5/07 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.iol.ie/~locoblade/build/gallery/chassisongalaxy.jpg - like that all the way from luego to here in Ireland with no problems.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.