Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RV8 Fueling and ignition
sammy

posted on 17/5/07 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
RV8 Fueling and ignition

I have a 3.5 RV8 out of an SD1 with an old pair of carbs. I was intending to get a single Holly carb and manifold and leave the ignition as standard, which I think will cost around 500-600 quid new.

However I've read so much stuff about people running mega squirts or putting bike carbs on etc, I wonder if I shouldn't consider something else for the fueling (and maybe ignition as well).

What are the alternatives for the old V8 that won't break the bank and give good performance?

Build diaries...

02GF74

posted on 17/5/07 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
what about rover (or land rover) efi?

you may need to modifyu the heads for the injectors but that is apparetny a diy job with mr dremel. sure there is planty out there on ebay quite cheap;

it can be megasuirted too.

for tb you need 8 (ovciously unless you want to simase them; I reckon £ 100 - 200.

ms = £ 150
manifold - hmmmmm, where do you get that from? if you can fabircate/weld ali then peanuts otherwise I'd say £ 2000

so in the end same as yer holley set up but more tuneable.

Agriv8

posted on 17/5/07 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I would say go efi and ditch the dizzie,

At the end of the day why control the spark via dizzie ( bobweigts and vacume ect is so 80s ) when you can control it in exactly the same way as your efi fueling .

If you want to go to the real extremes a lot of the vems users are know using active 'knock' retard basically knock sensors that adjust the timming so it always occures just before the det point.

REgards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

minordelay

posted on 17/5/07 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm planning to go this way in the end. I have collected a pair of fireblade throttle bodies so far and am planning to fab my own manifold. I have access to an emerald that I can borrow but will probably go megasquirt myself.

Maybe we can work something out on the fabrication?

sammy

posted on 17/5/07 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Mmm, presumably with 2 banks of 4 injectors I could make 2 fairly simple manifolds? Do they have to be aluminium; could they be made for pieces of round steel tube welded to steel plate?

What bodies/injectors would be suitable, whats the difference between bike and car ones? Will mega-squirt work with all types of injector?

Build diaries...

minordelay

posted on 17/5/07 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Check this out for various ideas on rover v8 conversions without spending loads.

http://www.spagweb.com/v8mini/pievan/index.htm

britishtrident

posted on 17/5/07 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minordelay
Check this out for various ideas on rover v8 conversions without spending loads.

http://www.spagweb.com/v8mini/pievan/index.htm

Glad I don't live anywhere near that guy --- the thought of that thing getting on the road worries me.

mark chandler

posted on 17/5/07 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Complete EFI kit from an old range rover, If I was spending £500 -£600 I would get an MOT failure 3.9 classic range rover from Ebay and swap the whole lump.

Your flywheel and clutch will fit an Auto, you just need to buy the spigot bush £2, sell the rest on, expect £200.

Regards Mark

froggy

posted on 17/5/07 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
im using an old flap system but ditching the flap and using a throttle pot and map sensor on my v8 with a v3 mega doo da which has coil drivers built in so i can use a pair of coil packs and bin the dizzy. i picked up the flap system for £60 off ebay complete with ecu and they are a doddle to fit with only four wires to make them run. i doubt you will see much improvement in power from tb,s or bike carbs with out some work on the heads and cam though
mark chandler

posted on 17/5/07 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
In answer to an earlier question, yes making the inlet from steel is okay, bit of 1/4" cut and shaped should do, make sure you include the two waterways.

You used to be able to get what was called a boxer manifold for 4 x SU's, thats all these were made from.

Loads here linky thing

Bit crude though.

[Edited on 17/5/07 by mark chandler] Rescued attachment boxer_manifold_onRV8.jpeg
Rescued attachment boxer_manifold_onRV8.jpeg

mark chandler

posted on 17/5/07 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
And here's one I made a few years ago now gathering dust. Rescued attachment inlet1.JPG
Rescued attachment inlet1.JPG

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.