Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Continuing oil problem
David Jenkins

posted on 16/8/03 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Continuing oil problem

This is a follow-on from my previous topic (no oil pressure on a rebuilt X-flow).

After failing to get oil pressure cranking the engine over on the starter, I thought I'd risk starting the engine.

It started perfectly, but still the oil light stayed on, no reading on the gauge and the engine sounded very clanky - so it got turned off pretty smartly! I guess that I've pushed my luck as far as I want to, having probably used up all the protection that the anti-scuff oil could offer (this was used during assembly.

This is REALLY frustrating, as the engine is ready and willing to run - just no oil going round.

Any more suggestions?

cheers,

David

steve m

posted on 16/8/03 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
sorry Dave

but it sounds like its got to come out again and further investigation

steve

David Jenkins

posted on 16/8/03 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps "clanky" isn't the best description - it was the rattly sort of noise that you would hear from mechanical bits that have absolutely no oil in the spaces between the bearing surfaces (there has to be a thou or so slack, otherwise there's no room for the oil)

I really didn't want to keep it running to investigate once I realised that the oil light wasn't going out!

...more investigation tomorrow - but I'm not going to run it under power again until I get oil pressure cranking over on the starter - I think I've used up a few of my engine's nine lives .

DJ

David Jenkins

posted on 17/8/03 at 05:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
sorry Dave

but it sounds like its got to come out again and further investigation

steve

Unfortunately, I've been thinking it over and I think you're right (buggerit! )

How easy is it get the engine out by itself (i.e. without the gearbox)? I've only done it with gearbox attached, and now it's got oil in it so I'd rather leave it in the car...

DJ

[Edited on 17/8/03 by David Jenkins]

theconrodkid

posted on 17/8/03 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
should be easy enuf to remove sump with engine in situ,sounds like a pick-up pipe prob,good luck m8

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Rob Lane

posted on 17/8/03 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Did you fit a new oil pump? Was it the correct one? The Fiesta valencia pump looks just the same BUT the oil drillings do not match up.
David Jenkins

posted on 17/8/03 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Panic over!

Panic over, chaps - my oil light now goes out, and I have a few PSI on the oil gauge when cranking over on the starter.

Look in "2003 POTY Award" for an explanation, in the "Anything Else" section.

I feel so embarrassed...

Anyway, thanks to all who made helpful suggestions, almost all of which I tried at one time or another!

I now have a slight "1 clunk per revolution" problem to sort, but I think that is down to my oil pick-up pipe being too close to the crank. I can deal with that!

regards,

David
(who will now go and hide his head in shame...)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.