Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford 2.0 dohc Lump
GasGasGas

posted on 19/8/03 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ford 2.0 dohc Lump

I see a few of these for sale but little or no talk of them here !
Are they any good or Trouble ?
Too tall or just not liked ?

Could the collective share their knowledge for me please.

Stu16v

posted on 19/8/03 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
They are trouble, to tall, and not liked!

They are bigger than the Pinto (which itself is a big engine), they have a bad reputation for camchain/gear breakages, and there is hardly any 'go-faster' bits are available for them, which includes things like inlet and exhaust manifolds, so standard stuff would need to be modified to suit. One to steer clear of IMHO.....

Dont just build it.....make it!

zetec

posted on 19/8/03 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
I would say if you are on a budget crossflow or pinto as loads of cheap tuning parts and just as much power as DOHC. If 16v is what you want get a Zetec/Vx XE/Toyota which are far better and reliable.
Stu16v

posted on 19/8/03 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ohh yes, I forgot, the DOHC wasnt even 16v......

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/8/03 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
but the DOHC is 125 hp out of the box.

Pintos make only 105 - 115 in 2 litre form, and std xflows not even that.

Costs money to beat the DOHC power.

I have read when I did some research on it that the DOHC is a decent engine if you look after it - ie dont run it short of water.

I have noticed lots of people rave, in the past, about the K series rover. However, I have never seen anyone on these groups using one......

The K series is practically guaranteed to blow head gaskets or warp the head at some stage.

atb

steve

Stu16v

posted on 19/8/03 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Costs money to beat the DOHC power.

Not much more money though....
And at least you CAN tune a xflow/pinto....

quote:

I have noticed lots of people rave, in the past, about the K series rover.

Only Cateringvan/Lotus owners as a rule. Everybody else is far more sensible

Aaron

posted on 20/8/03 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Get as far away from that damn dohc engine as you can, it'll become the bain of your life!!!!!!!!!!!!
ned

posted on 20/8/03 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
the vauxhall 8v is cheap (i'm picking up a runner for £30) and prodcues 130bhp, better than the pinto or dohc. shares block with the xe, so ideal for an upgrade later on to! only expense is sump mod and bellhousing.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Bradbury

posted on 20/8/03 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Well I like it

..of couse I'm using it in a Robin Hood build and want to avoid the Q plate (so I need major parts from one donor) and the DOHC donor was FREEEEEEE!

Its actually a pretty decent engine by some accounts (eg crustworld has a good description of the various Sierra engines) but you need to change the timing chain at 100K or it'll likely snap on you. That compares favourably with a Pinto I think.

I'm going to see how I get on with it before doing anything drastic to my car (like going for a 16v Vauhall for example).

I have to say I've not driven mine yet (build not completed) but it runs really well.

I bet it has a better torqe curve than the Pinto.. any takers? Either way its a much more modern engine so will be more economical and have fewer emissions.

Its true you can't get much more than hot cams for it though - a shame...

Stu16v

posted on 20/8/03 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

but you need to change the timing chain at 100K or it'll likely snap on you. That compares favourably with a Pinto I think.

I'd personally rather pay for a s**tload of Pinto cambelts compared to the chain, guides, gaskets etc required to do the chain on the DOHC. Thats if the engnie makes it to 100thou...

quote:

I bet it has a better torqe curve than the Pinto.. any takers? Either way its a much more modern engine so will be more economical and have fewer emissions.

AFAIK the bottom end traces is ancestory back to the Pinto. And the head is hardly cutting edge....the Italians were building 8v DOHC's decades before.....

But, as you say, it was FREE!!!!!!

ned

posted on 20/8/03 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
My Dads 1 1/2 litre riley engine has twin rocker shafts (2 sets of pushrods!) on a straight four, which i thought was quite impressive for such a small capacity (albeit big lump of iron) engine from the early fifties!

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 20/8/03 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
We used to have a Rover 200 BRM, which had the 1.8VVC engine fitted.

As mentioned, it blew the headgasket quite early in our ownership (from new) but once fixed was fine.

Fantastic little engine.

ATB

Simon

andyps

posted on 20/8/03 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like my intentions go against wisdom then - I am starting with a DOHC out of my donor Sierra - as Steve says it is 125bhp out of the box without spending any money on it, and it currently runs OK. When I want more power I intend to swap to a Rover K series - light weight, relatively high power as standard for any given capacity, and very tunable - 230bhp from the 1.8 in the Caterham R500 sounds good to me!

Hey, Metal Hippy, does this make me a non-conformist too

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Northy

posted on 20/8/03 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,

What you doing with the 8V? Did you fancy an engine with a better torque curve

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

eddymcclements

posted on 21/8/03 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyps
When I want more power I intend to swap to a Rover K series - light weight, relatively high power as standard for any given capacity, and very tunable - 230bhp from the 1.8 in the Caterham R500 sounds good to me!

But don't forget that the Minister-tuned engine in the R500 uses the following K-series parts:-
1. block
2. head casting
and that's it! Everything else is bespoke - billet crank, one-piece valves, double valve springs, special cams, roller-barrel throttle body - and the unit is estimated to cost 10 grand.
If I wanted 200bhp I'd be looking toward a Vauxhall XE on engine management or DCOE 50s with 3D ignition, or perhaps the Peugeot/Citroen 16v, which allegedly has one of the best stock cylinder head designs in terms of gas flow.

Eddy

ned

posted on 21/8/03 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Northy,

weighing up the pro's/con's for £30 i can't go wrong if it is indeed a runner (removing/picking it up tonight).

As it shares the block, the engine mounts, sump mods and bellhousing will all be interchangable, then when i have the money i can build the 16v to the spec i'd want (not compromise due to lack of funds) then swap them over post sva i expect. i was also thinking there's also the c20let (turbo) engine that's capable of 375bhp for when i win the lottery, that'd be a straight swap too! (just need heavy duty gearbox, but i have a plan in mind for that too!)

Ned.

Peteff

posted on 21/8/03 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 DOHC engine.

If you change the chain you will also need to change all the sprockets as they will eat the new chain as my brother in law found, much to his dismay, a few hundred miles later. An expensive hobby once they go wrong.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Jon Bradbury

posted on 21/8/03 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Not to labour the point, but...

Please read the following unbiased discussion on Sierra engines from one who knows more than me.

http://www.crustworld.co.uk/sierra/techspec/engines.html

Then make your mind up....

Peteff, I've never heard that about the dohc - maybe your brother in law had something else wrong with his?

Mine has 100k, runs perfectly and doesn't smoke at all. Perhaps I've been lucky...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 21/8/03 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I thought it was std practice when changing chains on anything to change the sprockets too - especially if they are hooked, as tends to occur on bike rear wheels....

atb

steve

Metal Hippy

posted on 21/8/03 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andypsHey, Metal Hippy, does this make me a non-conformist too

In Locost terms, I suppose it does mate.

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

Jon Bradbury

posted on 21/8/03 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yes Steve, I regularly talk out of my bottom... Quack! Quack!

But I have the DOHC and have to stick with it, because I want an age related plate on my Robin Hood (which was designed for the DOHC engined Sierra).

This chassis is much bigger than the book Locost chassis and manages 4.5" clearance for the unmodified sump - that's without setting the rear ride height yet (it needs raising).

I'm not a DOHC fan for any reason than that's how it panned out for me. I wanted the bigger, newer chassis anyway, so i could fit something better if I wanted to later on.

Actually I imagine I'll be very pleasantly surprised with its performance, and I'll probably leave all those unmodifed Pinto's at the lights suckin' on fumes.

"Yeeee-harrrrrrr!"

Northy

posted on 21/8/03 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Inlet manifold?

quote:
Originally posted by ned
Northy,

weighing up the pro's/con's for £30 i can't go wrong if it is indeed a runner (removing/picking it up tonight).

As it shares the block, the engine mounts, sump mods and bellhousing will all be interchangable, then when i have the money i can build the 16v to the spec i'd want (not compromise due to lack of funds) then swap them over post sva i expect. i was also thinking there's also the c20let (turbo) engine that's capable of 375bhp for when i win the lottery, that'd be a straight swap too! (just need heavy duty gearbox, but i have a plan in mind for that too!)

Ned.

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

stephen_gusterson

posted on 21/8/03 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Bradbury
Yes Steve, I regularly talk out of my bottom... Quack! Quack!

Have you been down the pub? That doesnt look like an answer to anything I said......

I considered the dohc but at the time 3 years back a dohc sierra was a bit pricey as a donor cos they were only 10 - 11 years old.

Provided it fits, I support it as a decent choice.

atb

steve

eddie

posted on 21/8/03 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Jon, i think youre in the same predicament as me, been given a 2.0i pinto powered sierra. So i'm gonna use my pinto to get through SVA then look out for somthing newer.

as long as it runs, i'd use the DOHC to build your car, then move on ....

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

david walker

posted on 21/8/03 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know why I should stick up for the DOHC but once again I will. There is so much crap talked about this engine - usually by people who do their engine building in the pub on a Saturday night.

There are very few DOHC lumps that have broken chains inside 150k. You hear about some that have but just consider how many tens of thousands were made. When they break they make a mess - often destroying the engine (bottom front main cap can be broken.) If the chain is changed at 100k they are a decent motor for what they were made for - replacing the Pinto in the Ford family saloons. They make more power than a Pinto, run quieter and are more economic than a Pinto. The engine, be it internally, externally or bottom end bears no resemblance to a Pinto. It is very similar however to the 16v lump that was fitted to the later Scorpios and RS2000.

For a Locost I think they are a non-starter due to their physical size. They are probably a decent motor for a Robin Hood. Remember not everyone wishes to tune their car. For me 125bhp in a Robin Hood would be enough! (And I have driven a few). For such a requirement the DOHC is a much better choice than a Pinto.

Change the chain and guides when the engine is out and its not that difficult to do. (And I have done lots). The sprockets will be OK unless you are very unlucky. It is NOT std practice to change DOHC sprockets at the same time as chains. If you have suffered a chain failure then that is a different matter. When you've done the chain you have 100k in front of you - and how many sevens do more than that?

Finally make sure the engine you have runs OK in the car first - beware, the biggest problem with these is not the chain it is head gasket / cracked head trouble, almost always caused by running with a low water level.

Don't get me wrong, I have the greatest respect for the Pinto ( I am currently doing four 2.2 conversions at the moment) but for the right application there isn't a lot wrong with the DOHC.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.