Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto 2.0 correct ecu/ignition setup
dwyer

posted on 27/8/03 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto 2.0 correct ecu/ignition setup

I have a 2.0 pinto with a weber carb. The engine i have did not come with any ecu, but on the weber carb there are all sorts of sensors and electrical connections, one of them is a mutipin socket on the left of the carb!
Is it normal to remove all these bits and have manual choke etc and what ecu do i need to obtain to make it all run properly?

Has anyone got an ignition setup diagram for a 2.0 pinto with a weber carb.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks..

SteveO

posted on 27/8/03 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Check Ballast Resistor under electrics. Peteff posted the wirng for the Ignition module that i used . similar setup to what you have.

Steve

[Edited on 27/8/03 by SteveO]

ned

posted on 27/8/03 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I have a spare ecu off a pinto engine that ran a downdraught weber if you want it?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dwyer

posted on 27/8/03 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
ECU / Ignition

Ned,

Sent U2U, which hopefully you received

Simon..

ned

posted on 27/8/03 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
u2u replied to.

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveO

posted on 27/8/03 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry thouhgt you had twin side webers and ignition unit.
theconrodkid

posted on 27/8/03 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like your carb has the stepper motor on it,time to look for a new carb me thinks

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

ned

posted on 27/8/03 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
stepper motor conrod?

1.)what is it/does it do
2.)is that good/bad/ugly?

Ned

Peteff

posted on 27/8/03 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
I took the stepper motor and the auto-choke off the carb and junked the big ally ignition control box in favour of the smaller, simpler set up from the earlier engine. I also turned the carb round and mounted the linkage on the other side so I wouldn't need as big a hole in the bonnet. There's a threaded hole in just the right place to mount a tickover screw so it looks like they made it for the job. There's just one hole that you blank off with a self tapper or it runs weak. The stepper motor controls the tickover at different engine temperatures and is controlled by the ignition box.

yours, Pete.

[Edited on 27/8/03 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

dwyer

posted on 28/8/03 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto Ignition

Peteff,

If i do away with the stepper motor and the choke bits off the carb, presumably i will have to fit a manual choke.
I do have a simple engine management unit from a 1600 pinto but this has 2 wires only which should go to the distributor. My 2.0 distributor should have three wires going to it. Can i replace the distributor with the 1600 one, will anything be affected?
The 1600 distributor i have does have vacuum advance whereas the 2.0 does not - not sure what is best to do....

Peteff

posted on 28/8/03 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I don't have a choke any more, the manual replacement was £35 and I'm too mean to pay it. Actually if you pump it 3 or 4 times before starting and then let it tick over to warm up you will not need a choke. The 1.6 dizzy will have a different advance curve but I would be tempted to try it if I had it. The vacuum advance is handled by the control box on your original system.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

dwyer

posted on 28/8/03 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
peteff,

Thanks for the info, You say that you junked the ally ECU in favour af a simpler one. Which one did you use?

I did try the 1600 dizzy with the 1600 small ECU unit but connecting the vacuum pipe from the manifold to the distributor, i was getting far too much advance.

Do you know where/how the vacuum pipe from the 1600 dizzy would attach to the 2.0 manifiold, bearing in mind that the standard 2.0 setup advances the ignition through the ECU?

Hope that makes sense, thanks for all your all your help..

Simon...

Peteff

posted on 28/8/03 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I think the proper name for it is the inductive discharge system fitted to 2.0ltr carb models up to 1985. I'll have a look at the carb and see if I can put you a picture on tomorrow with a bit of detail if it helps.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

dwyer

posted on 29/8/03 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
i appreciate that, thanks for all your help Pete.

Simon

Peteff

posted on 29/8/03 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Carb picture.

This is the carb turned round with the linkage swapped to the other side and the stepper and choke removed. I had to put a slight dent in the rocker for the vacuum pump to clear but it doesn't interfere with anything inside. If you have the advance too far down the manifold it will give a massive advance as you found.
I used one of the auto choke screws as a tickover screw 'cos it was the right thread.

yours, Pete.

[Edited on 29/8/03 by Peteff] Rescued attachment carb.jpg
Rescued attachment carb.jpg

yours, Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.