audi 1.8 turbo
draw

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what engine
oadamo

posted on 8/10/07 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
what engine

what do you think would be faster with both engines standard.
in a book chassis say 450kg
a couple of mates said the audi and a couple said the bike. so i dont no ive never been in a bike engined car but i have a pinto and that was fast. what do you think about the top end power aswell.
adam

[Edited on 8/10/07 by oadamo]

StevieB

posted on 8/10/07 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Well, the audi engined car would be heavier, but the CBR1000 is an older engine.

Depending on the level of tuning, it'd probably be a close run thing. If the audi is the higher power 225bhp version, or has been breathed on even more, then it'd probbaly be faster.

Out of interest, is there a way of getting the audi turbo unit into a se7en? I'd be interested in that myself!

oadamo

posted on 8/10/07 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
the audi engine is already rwd so i wouldnt have to mod the sump. and i was thinking about the turbo because thats what ive always driven. you just cant beat the feel of boost lol. ive cut the flange of the audi gearbox its alloy. so i can make the housing. i was putting it in my saxo but i cant make my mind up lol. ive measured the locost chassis iam making and it will go in easy. i dont no if i would need a bonnet mod as i havent bought it yet. but iam ordering a panel set next week so i will soon find out.
adam

iank

posted on 8/10/07 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
The main thing about a BEC is it has a chance of weighing 450kg. Unless you're building from exotic materials I really doubt the Audi would get close. More likely 550kg in honesty.

Beware big boost in a lightweight car, it will either spin up the wheels or put you in a ditch (possibly both).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

graememk

posted on 8/10/07 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
i have a 1.8 turbo nissan in my mk atm.

my next mk will be a bec.

Ivan

posted on 8/10/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
The Audi unit would easily be 100 kg heavier than the BEC what with intrcooler, turbo, larger radiator, heavier gearbox et al.

That would equalise the equation significantly.

However it will be much easier to cheaply and reliably gain another 100kW with the Audi which would put the equation firmly in the Audi camp - and yes it should be no problem to fit.

As I have said before rather go for a Volvo T4 motor which should be much cheaper to source as it's much less in demand and is stronger and possibly lighter than the Audi motor.

[Edited on 8/10/07 by Ivan]

Volvorsport

posted on 8/10/07 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
neither ,

NA 5 pot volvo motor .

170 bhp , 6700 rpm .

of course the turbo will fit aswell .

all in my opinion of course

the BEC will be simpler to build in the long run , once you add all the paraphanalia , it gets expensive to keep it under the skin of a seven bodywork .

things like intercoolers like to be big to be effective , if you start turning up the boost .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

j30fos

posted on 8/10/07 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
well Ive got a busa at the min and im doing a conversion to a saab 900 HPT unit, the whole car cost me £250 and in the car you get 185 bhp, with a few changes ie. injectors/ecu you can easily get 300 bhp check out maptun's website, they have quite a few 900's or 9000's push anything out upto 600 bhp for me its a really cheap conversion

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

BenB

posted on 8/10/07 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd go for power:weight over absolute power.
The shed-like aerodynamics of the Se7en make a theoretically stupid top speed unobtainable and more power normally means more weight- its often a viscious (descending) circle!!!

Then again, last night I was thinking about an Audi turbo engine in a Fury

oadamo

posted on 8/10/07 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by j30fos
well Ive got a busa at the min and im doing a conversion to a saab 900 HPT unit, the whole car cost me £250 and in the car you get 185 bhp, with a few changes ie. injectors/ecu you can easily get 300 bhp check out maptun's website, they have quite a few 900's or 9000's push anything out upto 600 bhp for me its a really cheap conversion

i bought one of them but the 2.3 turbo one. i spent all day getting it ready to be pulled out at the scrapyard i went baack to get it and they had turned it into a cube the guy there didnt no it was sold.
adam

j30fos

posted on 8/10/07 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
i went for the 2.0 hpt as its more revy the 2.3 makes to much torque for a 7, ive been told a 94-98 year saab 900/9000 engine will take upto 500 bhp with no internal mods so if its not quick enough with 300, theres always room for improvement
yorkshire-engines

posted on 8/10/07 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
WAS GONNA PUT THIS MOTOR ON ANYWAY TONIGHT

my friend in Ireland has a complete cbr1000 engine kit and only wants £400 for it and its a good un and he will get it to UK foc

maybe time to make a decision

cheers malc

oadamo

posted on 8/10/07 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
iam gonna be after a engine for my other project soon . i just put a cbr because it was off the top of my head lol. ill be after a blackbird or busa engine . ive started making the chain diff what a pain in the arse that is lol. but iam not far off finishing it.
adam

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.