Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Paint
James

posted on 18/6/02 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Engine Paint

I've just been looking around for some engine paint (hey, it's better than sitting at my desk working) and it's prompted a couple of questions.

1. Is there any preference to the colour or is it purely personal. I guess some (like black!) will give off heat better but the advantage of a lighter colour (ie. silver) being you can spot any oil leaks.

2. I've been to Halfords, Les Smith and Camberley Auto Factors to compare prices and they all want £4.50-£5.00 for a poxy 250ml tin. Is there anywhere in the Guidlford/Camberley/Farnborough area that sells it at better value?

Cheers,

James

Fatboy Dave

posted on 18/6/02 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Black is better, but I always paint my engines red (except for my V8s, they get silver).

If Halfwits are too dear, try Frost Auto Restoration Techniques(!!- still love the accronym ) I think they're at

www.frost.co.uk

The paint itself isn't cheap, but it's akin to enamel, so a little goes a long way...

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Glenn

posted on 18/6/02 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Get yourself some Hamerite Hammered finish
paint, very tuff, durable and heat resistant, about the only thing (other than paint remover) that will get it off is brake fuild but thats the same with 99% of paints. but it is very good stuff.

Personally i like black engines but dark blue is nice.

Now send me a copy of those MK IRS measurments you have from bob

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 19/6/02 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Get yourself some Hamerite Hammered finish
paint, very tuff, durable and heat resistant, about the only thing (other than paint remover) that will get it off is brake fuild but thats the same with 99% of paints. but it is very good stuff.

I used Hammerite on a number of parts before I realised what a heap of rubbush it is!

I've tried all sorts of surface prep before applying it - plain metal, degreased (which they say is OK), phosphated using a rust treatment prior to painting, and even Finnegan's own anti-rust primer (the pinky-brown stuff). The Hammerite chipped off without fail.

There are a lot of better paints out there!
(POR-15, "Correct Chassis Paint" from Frosts, Chassis Black from Frosts, and many more).

For the engine you need something other than Hammerite anyway - it says on the tin that it's only for use up to a certain temperature, less than that of an engine block.

(anyone would think that I hate Hammerite)

David

Glenn

posted on 19/6/02 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Dave,

I cannot disagree that it will chip off when knocked but it is better then most stuff i have used when 2 coats are used.

As for preping, i just rub back or sand blast parts befor aplying, never had any real problems other than when somthing is very oily and even then it seems to stick alright.

as for its tempreture resistance, i have used it on blocks, brake calipers and drums and even plastic mould tools with no problems, it just gets harder with heat

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 19/6/02 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info' guys- I'll give these a try.
Will probably go with red as have seen a couple that look good like this and it'll match the cam belt cover too.

How does it look if the gearbox is a different colour? I'd do it red too only I've always wanted a nice shiny silver gearbox!

Come to think of it, how hot does the tappet cover get? Do I need to worry about paint temperature for this?

Glenn, ssssshh, Bob was only joking about that- I don't wanna get lynched at the next car show I go to.... I'll just reply now. ;-)

Cheers,

Leonardo James Vinchi
:-)

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/6/02 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
PLEASE WHATEVER YOU DO DONT PAINT YOUR ENGINE WITH HAMMERITE.

ITS SHIT.
ITS SHIT.
ITS SHIT.

If you dont beleive me, go onto the manufacturers web site. Look for the temperature rating.

It basically says 'use in places where its not too hot to touch'. So, an engine is a no no.

Also, a guy called john snowden on TOL painted his engine red, and it came out pink with hammerite.

You have been warned.

It chips easy, it stays soft for ages, it spreads like evo stick and it takes 6 weeks between coats.

other than that its fantastic.

Buy engine enamel from Halfords.

atb

steve

David Jenkins

posted on 20/6/02 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

PLEASE WHATEVER YOU DO DONT PAINT YOUR ENGINE WITH HAMMERITE.

ITS SHIT.
ITS SHIT.
ITS SHIT.

Don't mince words Steve, tell us what you really think...

David

BTW: I agree totally!

mikelancsuk

posted on 20/6/02 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hammerite is crap.
I bought Halfrods HT Paint 250ml about 4quid, does the job and looks nice!
They also do some other colours rather than being stuck with :
Black
Black
Black and errr
Black!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/6/02 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hammerite is crap.
I bought Halfrods HT Paint 250ml about 4quid, does the job and looks nice!
They also do some other colours rather than being stuck with :
Black
Black
Black and errr
Black!

the Halfrods paint goes on nice in two coats. Hammerite does come in other colours, but hey its s^*t.

BTW - I thought this site had an auto bad word blanker outer?

atb

steve

neo

posted on 20/6/02 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
i used Halfrods HT Paint in blue it looked good at first the more you drive the blue turns brown/black
bob

posted on 20/6/02 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
The old hamerite of some years back was good,but the new stuff has a melting point of butter.

Glenn

posted on 23/6/02 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe is becasue i use the Hammered finish
stuff, but ive only ever had problems with
it when the surface hasent been clean.

Its seems to be fine on many different
engine blocks i have used, I wouldent use it on aliminum but it's always been good on
steel etc.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.