Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RS Turbo
StueyB

posted on 20/6/02 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
RS Turbo

Hi there peeps.

Firstly let me say that this site is a well hidden gem

I am going to build a locost (enough procrastinating gone on)

I have been given the option of an absolute mint (engine, interior, alloys etc) RS Turbo with forged pistons, skimmed head and uprated turbo to break up.

How easy/hard is it to install ? I am doing this with a welder and electrician friend of mine but we arent mechanics (yet)

I can imagine the engine would be easy enough buy the ECU and stuff ?

Fatboy Dave

posted on 20/6/02 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Well, the electrics won't be hard, beacause the RST has mechanical FI

The only probles is, when you bolt a type 9 to a CVH, you rapidly find out there is no nearside engine mount, so most people move the alternator and use it's mount as an engine mount, and worry about it latter.

Not hard, but not a two minute fix either....

Good luck, it will be an interesting car

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Glenn

posted on 20/6/02 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
You can use the original ECU , what do you mean by stuff ?.

I would be a little wary of someone who suggests they have a "mint RS Turbo engine with skimmed head forged pistons and uprated turbo" since having a skimmed head is the opposite of what you want with an uprated turbo.

The idea of using an "uprated" turbo is to either reduce lag or run higher boost pressure, the idea of using forged pistons is to be able to run higher boost pressures, but the idea of skimming a head is to raise the compression ratio something which is a VERY bad idea if you are running higher than standard boost.

It is possible that the head was damaged and needed skimming to get it dead-flat but the guy should have told you this.

I would also ask what he means by an uprated turbo, I often hear the phrases Hybrid and uprated gestured about but few people seem to know what it means and even fewer have the modifications done.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 20/6/02 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Or do as i did and make an L shaped mount to fit behind the alternator and still allow it to be fitted.The only thing is i now have a 1600 crossflow and may fit it instead of the 1300 CVH i was originally going to use.
Paul.
quote:
Well, the electrics won't be hard, beacause the RST has mechanical FI

The only probles is, when you bolt a type 9 to a CVH, you rapidly find out there is no nearside engine mount, so most people move the alternator and use it's mount as an engine mount, and worry about it latter.

Not hard, but not a two minute fix either....

Good luck, it will be an interesting car

Glenn

posted on 20/6/02 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
BTW Dave, they do use some electronic controll for the boost
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StueyB

posted on 20/6/02 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Well the car belongs to a she, a cute one too

Basically it was involved in a shunt whereby the back was caved in and this car hit the one in front and was a total loss with the insurance company.

As for the skim v pistons, will quiz her exactly. She is a friend so she will understand. Not gonna tell her what is gonna happen to her baby though, cause she will prob burst into tears.

By stuff I mean, the gubbins associated with the RS Turbo, ie the extra stuff you dont get on a normal engine.

So with the exception of a few mods, which can be built in early, it wouldnt deviate in terms of chasis from the standard locost? Sorry bout this but im a locost "real life" newbie.

Ps Thanks for helping guys

Fatboy Dave

posted on 20/6/02 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
BTW Dave, they do use some electronic controll for the boost

I stand corrected......

I've never really bother with forced induction, always prefering another four cylinders

Sorry for the confusion...

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.