Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How "finished" does a car have to be for SVA?
smart51

posted on 31/7/08 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
How "finished" does a car have to be for SVA?

Due to several factors, my 3 wheeled car projects is running slowly. I'd hoped for SVA this year, allowing for modifications and retest before IVA next spring.

So how finished does a car have to be? It is mechanically and electrically [almost] finished and fully functional but has no external bodywork at all. I'll be making a GRP over carved foam body which will then be covered in filler and painted. A slow process. Is it OK unpainted? How about fillered but not sanded (no sharp edges)? How about raw GRP finish with sharp edges removed?

Obviously, I'll do as much as I can but what is so little that they refuse to test it or refuse to pass it?

tegwin

posted on 31/7/08 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly if you turn up with a visually unfinished car the tester will look much much harder for faults.....

Our tester picked up on EVERYTHING....however silly and trivial....so a half finished car.....how much do you like to be humiliated?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/7/08 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
put simply it has to meet the regulations, body work or not, if you can do that fine put it through the sva.

sounds obvious I know but paint isn't part of a SVA test as far as i'm aware. put a current picture of it on here and we'll soon point out any issues.

[Edited on 31/7/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Miks15

posted on 31/7/08 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
surely if you make up the front section of the bodywork first, pass SVA then you can do the rest later.

Im thinking of scrapheap challenges (scrappy races) how the meglomaniacs got there trike through, that just had front bodywork to cover the problem bits and whatever they test at the front and the rear was bare.

Just a thought

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/7/08 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
its all the sharp pointy hot bits you need to worry about, inside and out. plus the time spent cobbling it together and then taking it all apart only just to go and have to do it all over again, damn this will end up in a skip cos you've got so p$ssed of with all that work....

have patience, do it right first time.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
minitici

posted on 31/7/08 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
I assume that your "3 wheeled car" Would comply with Category L5e Motor Tricycle – Three wheels, symmetrically arranged with an internal combustion engine capacity greater than 50cm 3 and/or a maximum speed greater than 45km/h.

I suspect that no bodywork is required other than some mudguards and the obligitory lighting.
Not read the MSVA manual so don't quote me
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/Motorcycle%20SVA%20Guide.pdf

[Edited on 31/7/08 by minitici]

matt_claydon

posted on 31/7/08 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
IVA is only replacing SVA (car). MSVA will not be changing so you don't need to be in any rush.
smart51

posted on 1/8/08 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
IVA is only replacing SVA (car). MSVA will not be changing so you don't need to be in any rush.

Is this true? Good news for me if it is. I thought IVA was to cover all vehicles, including trailers. (The UK is the only EU country not to register trailers as separate vehicles). I just presumed it would include 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles as well. Do you have a link to a DVLA or VOSA statement to this effect?

tks

posted on 1/8/08 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon

Is this true? Good news for me if it is. I thought IVA was to cover all vehicles, including trailers. (The UK is the only EU country not to register trailers as separate vehicles). I just presumed it would include 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles as well. Do you have a link to a DVLA or VOSA statement to this effect?

In holland it depends on weight...until 750Kg max. its free to weld everything together you won't need any kind of test... and no papers...

Above 750kg you need a test and you get papers...

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.