Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what do you think of my new manifold?
blakep82

posted on 6/9/08 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
what do you think of my new manifold?

i'm pleased with it. was a lot easier than i thoought it would be. until i ran out of tube that it. i buggered up the last bit and it ended up too short...

ordered some 45mm o.d. rubber petrol filler hose to cut up and clamp between the carbs and manifold. pretty sure its petrol resistant lol

[Edited on 6/9/08 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jacko

posted on 6/9/08 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeaBass

posted on 6/9/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Very good mate. Will the hose take up the difference in angle between the carbs and runners? Here's my last effort... Spot the mistake. Dave1888 you're allowed to say nothing. Or you Zilspeed at the back.

[Edited on 6/9/08 by SeaBass]

coozer

posted on 6/9/08 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
looks canny, they look a bit long tho.. how did you decide the length??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 6/9/08 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
Very good mate. Will the hose take up the difference in angle between the carbs and runners? Here's my last effort... Spot the mistake. Dave1888 you're allowed to say nothing. Or you Zilspeed at the back.

[Edited on 6/9/08 by SeaBass]

Thats the wrong way round.......
but dont worry we dismantled it so you can have another go

blakep82

posted on 6/9/08 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
seabass, thats a cracker! i can't weld ali so i went for steel. might have a got at an ali one one day.

i hope the hose will take up the angle. i ordered 30cm of it, so i can put it a long way down the runners, but then it may come off the carb. as long as its clamped down tight, hopefully should be fine.

i tried bending tube so it would meet the carb straight, but the bend in the tube messed up, and thats why i ran out of tube lol

are the runners maybe a little long though? i don't know what kind of effect it will have on the engine

edit, just saw coozers comment. i wondered if they were long, i didn't really work out the length, just decided on what 'looked' about right. the injection manifold off the engine must have runners about 3 times longer though. they go down about 10 inches, and then back up to the ports. the ones on my beemer are about twice as long as these, and a lot narrower too...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jacko

posted on 6/9/08 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
top view painted manifold
top view painted manifold

This is how i made mine
look in my archives for more photos if you wish
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 6/9/08 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
how did you do the corners? i spent ages trying to work out corners and how to smooth/round them out, and in the end just decided to do it the way i did, and it seemed ok

i'll get it running on the engine, but i'll probably end up doing it again one day. maybe some different carbs, or shorter runners.

i don't actually know if it'll fit in the engine bay yet i might end up with the carbs right up against the pedal box wall with no room for an airbox

RichardK

posted on 6/9/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

ordered some 45mm o.d. rubber petrol filler hose to cut up and clamp between the carbs and manifold. pretty sure its petrol resistant lol

Make sure the walls are reinforced as it is the vacuum that is created in there that squeezes the little buggers off, with possible distrastous concenquences.

Just my 2 cents worth, oh and they look very good, very similar to mine infact, think I got inlet boots off a honda cb 600 hornet as they had a slight angle on them that helped to keep the carbs float bowls level.

Loads of pictures in my gallery link below that will show what I'm on about!
Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 6/9/08 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

jacko

posted on 6/9/08 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Look in my photo archives under zx9r / manifold 1 photo = 1000 words
blakep82

posted on 6/9/08 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
the inlet port face on the cylinder head is angled at around 40 deg already, so with the runners coming straight out, the floats bowls are pretty much the perfect angle already.

i had thought about the rubber coming off with the vacuum, but i plan to find some way of supporting the carbs, and holding them so they are very close to the runners, so the rubber shouldn't be able to go anywhere

Rod Ends

posted on 7/9/08 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Are they ZZR1100 carbs?
If they are then they may be the "restricted" ones than don't open fully.
The restricted ones are usually described as having "nipples" - a raised circle on the top plastic cap.

blakep82

posted on 7/9/08 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, they are the restriced ones. i only knew after i bought them. i'll see how they go, then look to get the un-restriced top caps. i'd probably be just as well restricing the car to start with anyway

they were cheap enough (less than £25
might get r1 carbs at some point. who knows.

there's a few bits missing from the ones i've got screws and stuff. don't know where to get them from. there's a few missing out the top caps, and the float bowls, and a broken screw in the airbox mounting side. we'll see...

got the last bit welded on managed to track down a peice of tube for it
Description
Description

[Edited on 7/9/08 by blakep82]

blakep82

posted on 8/9/08 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
oh, and how much heat distortion is too much on the flange?

i can press it down flat by hand on to a peice of box section so will probably bolt down flat, but i'd prefer it straight to start with

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.