Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust Wadding
Simon

posted on 5/1/04 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Exhaust Wadding

Peeps,

Bought some exhaust wadding from DT, which comes on a roll.

Is the idea that I break this up and put into can, or roll it around the perforated tube.

Any suggestions appreciated.

ATB

Simon

VinceGledhill

posted on 5/1/04 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I know you put the inner perforated tube inside your outer tube then pack it in all round until you can pack it in no more.

That's how friends of mine have done it. PS where did you buy it from. That's my next job.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Simon

posted on 8/1/04 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Vince,

I got the packing/perforated tube from Demon Tweets - IIRC £11.62 + vat/del (for packing)/£14.19 + vat/del per metre Each pack of wadding alledgedly enough for a 2 litre can - hence the reason I asked whether it should be broken up. My can's each amount to about 1.2l volume and there doesn't appear to be anywhere enough

A point of interest re cans - I tried ordering a metre of 5" diameter tube from DT - for £34.76 + deivery and VAT. They didn't have any, so ordered same from Custom Chrome. £30.00 delivered - so quite chuffed.

ATB

Simon

craig1410

posted on 7/3/04 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Simon,
I've been doing some calculations on how much wadding I'd need for my silencers which I'm planning to make soon and it comes to 8.5 litres in total (5" casing with 2" perf tube and 800mm long each side). This would require almost £100 quids worth of wadding which seems totally insane!! What exactly is this wadding? Is it just long strand fibreglass matting and if so, can't it be bought much more cheaply from the likes of a marine chandlers?

I worked out the costs of making a pair of silencers and it came out at about £150 for the parts alone. At that price I'm better off buying a pair!

Have I missed something?
Cheers,
Craig.

ps. Have you got a new email address yet?

Peteff

posted on 7/3/04 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look on here.

http://www.milnerconv.co.uk/Pipe.htm
They aren't far from me and have some useful looking stuff. You can use rockwool for stuffing silencers along with stainless wire wool round the perforated tube.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

craig1410

posted on 7/3/04 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Peteff,
They look like quite a useful source of bits for exhaust bulding. It was mild steel that I was plannign on using to be honest but I might be tempted to use stainless and just tack weld everything in place with my Mig and get it done fully by someone with a Tig.
Cheers,
Craig.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/3/04 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
if you are using mild steel, why not just buy summat ready made from a road car?

I used the rear box from the 85-89 approx 2.4/2.9 ford granada.

its a strait thro glass pack, and I have one on each side of my v6. really quiet - even in the garage

38 quid plus vat

atb

steve Rescued attachment exhaust.jpg
Rescued attachment exhaust.jpg

flak monkey

posted on 7/3/04 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
CBS do ready rolled wadding, and loose pack stuff. And its cheeper than Demon Tw*ts. Its about halfway down this page if anyone is interested;

http://www.nfauto.co.uk/cbs_products_new.htm

http://www.nfauto.co.uk/silencer_wadding.htm

Good if you have custom silencers.

Hope that helps a bit
David

[Edited on 7/3/04 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

craig1410

posted on 8/3/04 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,
I had thought of that but was worried about not getting it quiet enough with what appears to be a fairly short silencer. Luego use a silencer of 5" diameter and about 32" length on their V8. From your photo it appears that your silencer is either very fat or quite short. Can you confirm the dims please?

Cheers,
Craig.

ps. David, thanks for the links to nfauto's

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/3/04 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
will try and do that for you when Im home later

but to scale the piccy, its got 50mm in and out, so that may help.

Its not particularly short or fat.

I dont know completly about exhaust dynamics, and wether speed of exhaust flow vs length is important in noise suppression, but I have 1200cc of engine on each of em and its realy very quiet - even in a garage - sounds quite deep and no louder than a normal road car.

wether this stays true for a 2 litre or wahtever, i donno. But then, dont people use exhaust cans from 1100cc bikes on pintos?

atb

steve

Dave Ashurst

posted on 8/3/04 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Guys

For what it's worth I get my silencer wadding locally (to me) from Tech-Craft in Warwick. No idea how it compares....

A sackful of basalt wool over the counter there is about £20 to £25 and in my case does at least two complete refills. I've got a lolocost silencer but sorry I don't know the volume.

Basalt wool is the right stuff. It's quite heavy and gives good acoustic damping. Same as any wadding you need to pack it well and leave no voids or it will break up too quick.

Rockwool was simply a waste of time in my experience, and won't take the heat. Peteff, clearly I should have tried your s/s wool idea.

They do some other stuffing not sure what it's called, it's white (basalt is dark brown). They say it's more lightweight and longer lasting than basalt but louder i.e. it will tolerate more thermal abuse or running out of tune; lean, rich, advanced or retarded or whatever, but you'll need a bigger can to get the same silencing effect.

I can't remember the phone no offhand (i.e. without getting off my backside) but they can be found in www.yell.co.uk.

Check out their range of silencers if you call in!

The owner helps run the Prescott hill climb school, and might try to persuade you to join up and have a go, esp. if you turn up in your locost! http://www.prescott-hillclimb-school.co.uk/

If you're coming to Warwick and fancy a pint or a cup of tea drop me a line.

regards
Dave

[Edited on 8/3/04 by Dave Ashurst]

craig1410

posted on 8/3/04 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,
Yes, I'm also at a loss to find any science to apply to this which is why I'm probably tending to overdo it rather than underdo it with the silencer dims. My engine is a Rover V8 3.5 litre so it will be about 1750cc each side and about 100BHP each side (slightly less to start with).

I am assuming that (roughly speaking) a straight through exhaust of 2" bore each side will not present too much of a restriction to a 200BHP motor and so my main issues are to ensure that it passes noise tests. Ideally if I could find someone who has made their own silencers and got through SVA with them on a V8 then I'd be happy but otherwise I guess some guesstimation is required.

Does anyone know anything about the acoustic principles involved in silencer design and is there any reason why Steve's V6 would require radically different silencers to my V8? They aren't far away in terms of power output and they are both "V" engines after all. I suspect it's not that simple though...

Cheers,
Craig.

ps. Thanks to you too Dave on the wadding material stuff. Quite informative.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/3/04 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
approx 6 ins dia by 13.5 ins long

32 ins seems wildly excessive!

Most locost piccys seem to show fairly shortish boxes.....

Just to complicate things - the 2.9 granny uses just ONE of these boxes at the tail pipe. However, there are two flat expansion boxes up front, before the exhaust merges to this one glass pack.

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
Steve,
I had thought of that but was worried about not getting it quiet enough with what appears to be a fairly short silencer. Luego use a silencer of 5" diameter and about 32" length on their V8. From your photo it appears that your silencer is either very fat or quite short. Can you confirm the dims please?

Cheers,
Craig.

ps. David, thanks for the links to nfauto's

[Edited on 8/3/04 by stephen_gusterson]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/3/04 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
this is a good basic primer

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler.htm

used it when I was trying to figure out what to do. Somehow I guessed speed of flow vs length had summat to do with it, and thought 2.9 litres of flow thro original exhaust had to be ok with only 1.2 litres a side, even without expansion boxes. I was right with a big safety margin.

atb

steve

JoelP

posted on 9/3/04 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
when i was doing my exhaust recently (only finised this morning...!) i was thinking of starting a thread asking for people to list their engine, silencers and end volume to help people plan their exhausts. i ended up using the standard sierra back box, with a custom tubular manifold. hopefully its not blowing! i had a selection of other silencing devices from the rest of the sierra system (two things) and a full polo system, but the sierra one seemed the best fit and most likely to pass. if it fails i will just tack another unit onto the end!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Dave Ashurst

posted on 9/3/04 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

32 ins seems wildly excessive!

Most locost piccys seem to show fairly shortish boxes.....

Not sure about that, Steve.
I bet many of them are right on the dB limit (mine was) and following engine tuning after SVA I wonder how many are still legal? (no comment!). Or how many had to restrict the exhaust even to pass the noise test?

If you want an unrestrictive system within legal noise limits then a long length absorption type box might well be the answer.

Not that you need to, Steve, evidently, but it wouldn't be difficult to call a silencer maker for advice. Techcraft (for example) seem to know exactly what size silencer any given performance engine needs off the top of their head. Mind you they do have a vested interest..

Dave

PS when can we hear yours BTW, young Gusterson?

[Edited on 9/3/04 by Dave Ashurst]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/3/04 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
if you dont mind a garage fulla crap, then a saturday in the near future becons.....perhaps one when you wont get wet or cold bringing yours over?

atb

steve

(provided its not easter week - im away then!)

Dave Ashurst

posted on 9/3/04 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Don't you ever leave your computer?!!

Right, wet(ish) or cold no object, you're on, lets go to email and I'll see you soon
put the kettle on
Dave

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/3/04 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
yep I do! I cant get on the pc most times in evening before 10 cos its occupied with dorks (my kids). Plus its getting a bit boring sans hippy since he got all homophobic.

or has he found a new friend

atb

steve

ps cant find yer email address!

suggest sat 27th - wifey bday this w/e and we are pressy shopping saturday

and following w/e spent in london at an 80 year olds birthday party - thats gonna be wild!

[Edited on 9/3/04 by stephen_gusterson]

craig1410

posted on 9/3/04 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,
Thanks for the dimensions, I may very well look into using the same exhaust as you, even if it is just to get things moving.

Here is the picture which gave me the idea about using a 5" x 32" silencer on each side with a 2" bore pipe.

Viento V8 Exhaust
Viento V8 Exhaust

I was able to scale the picture based on the 17" wheels and confirmed my estimates based on the wheelbase of the car which is specified on Luego's website.

Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 9/3/2004 by craig1410]

[Edited on 9/3/2004 by craig1410]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/3/04 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
here is an example of a shorter one.....

if I can make out 'blade' on the site, could be a BEC

a fair few shortes on this page...

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/acwsj/photos/photos4/index.htm

atb

steve

paulf

posted on 9/3/04 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I used an MGB rear silencer for my crossflow , it fits a 50mm od pipe and is 5inch dia x 16 inches long and designed to silence a 100bhp 1800 engine.
It is not to loud on the 1600 crossflow and i think a V8 would be quieter as v8s a actually less noisy than a 4 cylinder engine as the firing order is split between the two boxes.
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
Steve,
Yes, I'm also at a loss to find any science to apply to this which is why I'm probably tending to overdo it rather than underdo it with the silencer dims. My engine is a Rover V8 3.5 litre so it will be about 1750cc each side and about 100BHP each side (slightly less to start with).

I am assuming that (roughly speaking) a straight through exhaust of 2" bore each side will not present too much of a restriction to a 200BHP motor and so my main issues are to ensure that it passes noise tests. Does anyone know anything about the acoustic principles involved in silencer design and is there any reason why Steve's V6 would require radically different silencers to my V8? They aren't far away in terms of power output and they are both "V" engines after all. I suspect it's not that simple though...

Cheers,
Craig.

ps. Thanks to you too Dave on the wadding material stuff. Quite informative.

Simon

posted on 9/3/04 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Craig,

Got some of my wadding from DT, but was expensive. Got the rest from CBS (personal visit as they are local!), though haven't opened the packet yet, as I'm going to finish the work on the cans (trim length to 17.75" so tailpieces don't hit wheelarches - see: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=2Exhaust.JPG and paint etc)

The CBS (stainless) pipes are rated to about 80db (IIRC) which is about the same as my bike (standard Suzuki cans), and that (in the garage) is quite loud. Given we can have 101db I'm optimistic it'll be ok Also, my cans have only been loosely packed as I had nowhere near enough wadding.

HTH

ATB

Simon

xroger

posted on 11/4/04 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Wadding

You can use fibreglass/rock wool/ordinary "pink" loft insulation wire wool ect. They all sound different!

What make a large difference to the noise is the dia/length of the system. e.g. If you had a pipe 50 feet long for your exhaust you wouldn't need any wadding at all because the gas wouldn't have any energy left in it when it popped out the end. So the shorter/larger bore systems need a larger dia AND longer silencer.
The best thing to do is make up some "restrictor" plates for sva and sort out a "proper" exhaust later on.

Rgds

Roger www.shinybitz.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
xroger

posted on 11/4/04 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Second note!

Sorry, some thing which I forgot to say, Is be careful when packing silencers because if you over pack them they can infact get louder!

Rgds

Rogerwww.shinybitz.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.