Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sump
JimM

posted on 21/9/08 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Sump

Removed sump from my Zetec silver top to swap over to the black top. Hit problem with the baffle plate. On the silver to the plate fits over 4 threaded rods and is secured with 4 nuts. On the blacktop there are no threaded rods - baffles are part of the blacktop sump.

How do I add the baffle plate from silver top to the backtop engine? Need this to prevent oil surges. Rescued attachment Sump.jpg
Rescued attachment Sump.jpg

clairetoo

posted on 21/9/08 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
On the blacktop sump , there is no baffle plate because the ally sump replaces it - but you do need to make a bit of clearance in places , and shorten the long stud's that hold the steel windage tray .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

piddy

posted on 21/9/08 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Where are the threaded rods on the silver top? on the block or sump?

could you drill and tap the block and fit threaded rods?

paulf

posted on 21/9/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I think you will have to either use the silvertop main bearing bolts or drill and tap the blacktop bolt heads to take some extension studs for the windage tray.I have heard of people getting away with not using the windage tray at all.
I recently changed silvertop to black top and instead of using my shortened silvertop sump I cut down the blacktop sump by removing the parts of the alloy section that werent needed and then cut down the steel oil pan.The pick up pipe is a bit akward to shorten as it ends up needing to be cut back right to the oil pick up filter.
Paul.

JimM

posted on 22/9/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul,

Agreed with your options .. either need to remove the 4 bearing bolts and swap to the blacktop or cut blacktop sump for ground & starter clearance.

May go for the bolt swap as I dont want the hassle of griding cleance for the started again.

Any idea on what the torque setting should be?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.