Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Current Phoenix / Striker Manufacturer
stevebubs

posted on 10/4/24 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Current Phoenix / Striker Manufacturer

Did MK not take on these models? They're not appearing on the MK website nowadays...are they now dead / in hibernation / sold on?

[Edited on 10/4/24 by stevebubs]

Sylva Fury

Pete Jordan

posted on 10/4/24 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty certain they are re-engineering the Striker and plan to add it to their range. They certainly have plenty of "MK Striker" parts on their website. Not so sure about the Phoenix but I think they are going to add it to their range as well. Best thing to do is drop them an email or give them a call.

Pete

Pete Jordan

bi22le

posted on 10/4/24 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I'm hoping to go to kitfest on Sunday.

If I do I'll find MK, if they are there, and ask them what they plan for the striker.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

stevebubs

posted on 10/4/24 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pete Jordan
I'm pretty certain they are re-engineering the Striker and plan to add it to their range. They certainly have plenty of "MK Striker" parts on their website. Not so sure about the Phoenix but I think they are going to add it to their range as well. Best thing to do is drop them an email or give them a call.

Pete

Curious more than anything else - not a prospective customer so don't want to take up their time.

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I'm hoping to go to kitfest on Sunday.

If I do I'll find MK, if they are there, and ask them what they plan for the striker.

Sylva Fury

stevebubs

posted on 10/4/24 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Had a quick search around their shop - certainly do seem to offer Striker and Phoenix body panels etc so doesn't look dead

[Edited on 10/4/24 by stevebubs]

Sylva Fury

Partofthechaos

posted on 11/4/24 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
The did a youtube video covering them picking up the brand, I am sure they are keeping it, probably revising some aspects before re-launcing it. I think this is the video, though not re-wateched it to check.

https://youtu.be/Q6GiHeHS_mA?si=4fLwrbLvx2z4y-2B

stevebubs

posted on 11/4/24 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Partofthechaos
The did a youtube video covering them picking up the brand, I am sure they are keeping it, probably revising some aspects before re-launcing it. I think this is the video, though not re-wateched it to check.

https://youtu.be/Q6GiHeHS_mA?si=4fLwrbLvx2z4y-2B

Yes; I remember that but it was 2 years ago. A lot can happen in 2 years....

Sylva Fury

bi22le

posted on 14/4/24 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I went to kit fest today. . . . .

More of a car park gathering. Hats off to those who attended and put effort in, I am not knocking you at all. I just thought it might have been bigger, instead of approx 50 cars.

MK were not there.

[Edited on 14/4/24 by bi22le]

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

adampage

posted on 15/4/24 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
On youtube...

Hey - I saw one of their videos a week or so ago, I think the Open Day one, and there's a Phoenix in the background and he says "Oh yeah, the Phoenix, we're selling it on actually..." and doesn't say much else - I would've thought he'd say "We're reengineering this" or "We sell these new, if you're interested..." but no, just says that completed car is for sale.

Hope they do keep them alive, but I just thought the mention on the video was a bit strange... There's also a Striker there, barely gets a mention also.

About 1.30 in - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAwJ0eIRLXA

Fingers crossed it does get some development and more sales
Ad

yogibear1969

posted on 15/4/24 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adampage
>> "Oh yeah, the Phoenix, we're selling it on actually..." and doesn't say much else - I would've thought he'd say "We're reengineering this" or "We sell these new, if you're interested..." but no, just says that completed car is for sale.

I still fear, as i did when they bought both projects, thet they were just buying it to keep it from the market! Nothing I have seen or heard since changes my mind, very sad!
Edd

bi22le

posted on 16/4/24 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yogibear1969
quote:
Originally posted by adampage
>> "Oh yeah, the Phoenix, we're selling it on actually..." and doesn't say much else - I would've thought he'd say "We're reengineering this" or "We sell these new, if you're interested..." but no, just says that completed car is for sale.

I still fear, as i did when they bought both projects, thet they were just buying it to keep it from the market! Nothing I have seen or heard since changes my mind, very sad!
Edd

I also really hope they are not monopolising the market with that tactic. Not that we would ever know, it would be a case of "never got round to doing what we wanted with the Striker Fury".

Luckily I don't need any Striker specific parts at the moment but its only a matter of time. Most things can be made 3rd party with a pattern, its the GRP bodies which would be expensive and difficult to replicate.

Sam_68

posted on 16/4/24 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22leMost things can be made 3rd party with a pattern, its the GRP bodies which would be expensive and difficult to replicate.

These days, if you own a car with GRP bodywork where the moulds are no longer readily available, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a 3D scan of your body, just in case.

Perhaps it would be something for the JPSCC to look at?

I've got a scanner, if they need access to one...

yogibear1969

posted on 17/4/24 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
Originally posted by bi22leMost things can be made 3rd party with a pattern, its the GRP bodies which would be expensive and difficult to replicate.

These days, if you own a car with GRP bodywork where the moulds are no longer readily available, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a 3D scan of your body, just in case.

Perhaps it would be something for the JPSCC to look at?

I've got a scanner, if they need access to one...

Hi,
Not a bad idea, if we can arrange that for malvern show? If anyones happy to bring thier car for a scan, and you can be there with scanner? I have a 2000W power bank so plenty of power!
Edd

nickm

posted on 17/4/24 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
When i built my J15 the bodywork was delivered by the makers and i believe they are near Wragby in Lincs.
If JP used them for that i bet he used them for all the other GRP work over the years ? the problem would be persuading them to look out the moulds for one offs.
Pretty sure there arent many fibreglass firms in rural Lincs

Nick M

yogibear1969

posted on 17/4/24 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nickm
Hi
When i built my J15 the bodywork was delivered by the makers and i believe they are near Wragby in Lincs.
If JP used them for that i bet he used them for all the other GRP work over the years ? the problem would be persuading them to look out the moulds for one offs.
Pretty sure there arent many fibreglass firms in rural Lincs

Nick M

When JP sold the projects, the related moulds will have gone with it to the new owners.... So the Pheonix/Striker Moulds will be owned by MK!
J15 Moulds with David Mcbean...if he hasn't sold the project yet?

Edd

Sam_68

posted on 18/4/24 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yogibear1969
Not a bad idea, if we can arrange that for malvern show?

Unfortunately, I'm on the coast in Norfolk, so Malvern is a very long way from me, particularly given the limited scale and quality of shows these days - I shan't be attending.

nickm

posted on 18/4/24 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Edd
See where you are coming from
Like u said its a shame would love to build 1 more car but it would have to be a Striker or Riot (at least Mk dont own that one ......yet)

Nick M

peter030371

posted on 19/4/24 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
In February MK sold the old Striker demonstrator. I asked on the Facebook post they put up 'Does this mean you have a new Striker demo car or have you given up on the idea of the Striker?' and they replied 'funnily enough we have started to produce the strikers chassis again'. I assume they mean by this that they have not given up or killed off the Striker but isn't a totally clear answer.
peter030371

posted on 19/4/24 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I messaged MK to see what they have planned and this is the reply which they said I could post:

Thanks for the email and expressing your concern.

Until now, we have not had the man power internally to focus on the Striker / Phoenix project because the resources we did have were focused on moving workshop, building the Cup race series.
Now these are completed, our next project of the new website and backoffice system (which was 3 years in the making) has also been completed, we're just ironing out the last of the bugs and labellng and barcoding the stock - a project which was grossly underestimated.

Anyway, about the Striker project.
If we're doing this project, it's being done right from the outset. What we actually ended up with when we purchased the project wasn't what we bought so we have had the chassis scanned in (this was an expensive exercise) and now sits 3d in cad. Maybe I'll get some images and put up a blog post to keep people in the loop.
All the bodywork is available, so if you prang your car, fear not, we have you covered. These parts are currently only available in black, but they're on the website for you to purchase.

You'll be pleased to hear that we have actually got 4 striker chassis currently in production. Yes, that's actual chassis in production.
Next will be the wishbones and you're fears and woes about getting spare parts should then be over.

We're going to do something with the front end - we're going to develop new wishbones that can handle the front uprights we currently make for the Indy - this is because I don't want to make new wishbone jigs for uprights which we can no longer purchase.
We've secured new Duratec engines for the car, and we can make the exhaust manifold, so this shouldn't be a problem.

This is all going to be ticking along in the background and the reason for removing the striker and phoenix from the website is because we keep getting people asking for the cars and we cannot currently deliver them.
As soon as we're able to deliver them, we'll put them back on the website with some new imagery.

A lot of the problem is that we seem to get 6ft 8" people coming to see us to see if they can fit in our car, and they just simply won't fit in a Striker - this is a car for a limited market, however we have bought the rights to the car, so we would be mad to just leave it to sink.

We will have more spares hitting the website over the weeks and months to come. We'll be doing all the panels, so if we don't list it, get in touch and we can start to make it. Our problem is time and resource.

Hopefully that has answered your questions - if there's any spares you need, just get in touch and we'll put them into production.

Cheers,

Neil

bi22le

posted on 20/4/24 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
I messaged MK to see what they have planned and this is the reply which they said I could post:

Until now, we have not had the man power internally to focus on the Striker / Phoenix project because the resources we did have were focused on moving workshop, building the Cup race series.
Now these are completed, our next project of the new website and backoffice system (which was 3 years in the making) has also been completed, we're just ironing out the last of the bugs and labellng and barcoding the stock - a project which was grossly underestimated.

If we're doing this project, it's being done right from the outset. What we actually ended up with when we purchased the project wasn't what we bought so we have had the chassis scanned in (this was an expensive exercise) and now sits 3d in cad. Maybe I'll get some images and put up a blog post to keep people in the loop.
All the bodywork is available, so if you prang your car, fear not, we have you covered. These parts are currently only available in black, but they're on the website for you to purchase.

You'll be pleased to hear that we have actually got 4 striker chassis currently in production. Yes, that's actual chassis in production.
Next will be the wishbones and you're fears and woes about getting spare parts should then be over.

We're going to do something with the front end - we're going to develop new wishbones that can handle the front uprights we currently make for the Indy - this is because I don't want to make new wishbone jigs for uprights which we can no longer purchase.
We've secured new Duratec engines for the car, and we can make the exhaust manifold, so this shouldn't be a problem.

This is all going to be ticking along in the background and the reason for removing the striker and phoenix from the website is because we keep getting people asking for the cars and we cannot currently deliver them.
As soon as we're able to deliver them, we'll put them back on the website with some new imagery.

A lot of the problem is that we seem to get 6ft 8" people coming to see us to see if they can fit in our car, and they just simply won't fit in a Striker - this is a car for a limited market, however we have bought the rights to the car, so we would be mad to just leave it to sink.

We will have more spares hitting the website over the weeks and months to come. We'll be doing all the panels, so if we don't list it, get in touch and we can start to make it. Our problem is time and resource.

Hopefully that has answered your questions - if there's any spares you need, just get in touch and we'll put them into production.

Cheers,

Neil

Well that's sounds good and positive to me!

yogibear1969

posted on 20/4/24 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371

Cheers,

Neil

Hi,
That does sound promising! I might have to rty and get 5 minutes of his time at Malvern!
Edd

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.