Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: speed sensors, whats the difference?
tomgregory2000

posted on 14/12/08 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
speed sensors, whats the difference?

Does anyone know what the difference is between a 'hall-effect sensor' and a 'inductive sensor'?
ben lord

posted on 14/12/08 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hall effect sensors work by sensing the presence of a magnetic field. These sensors can be position calibrated.

Inductive sensors work on a piece of metal passing the head(as in ABS toothed wheel) Steel is better than ali here. Inductive sensors can be passive, ie require no power.

Does that help?

Ben (Luego)

tomgregory2000

posted on 14/12/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
yeh it does thanks
tommy

BenB

posted on 14/12/08 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Inductive are passive devices, they are usually two wire andgive out a fairly small signal. The air gap between the sensor and the trigger wheel has to be extremely small otherwise you get no signal.

Hall effect sensors are active devices, the leads usually have three wires. They need a power supply as mentioned. They give a larger signal and are slightly less penickity about the air gap (though it still has to be pretty small).

02GF74

posted on 15/12/08 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ wot they say.

hall effects detects presence of a magnetic field and it polairyt (i.e. direction)

inductive measure distortion in a magnetic field - they usually have a magnet built in and when a metallic object is brought near, it will affect the magnetic field and the change is measure in a wire coil. Note change highlighted - the object needs to be moving past the sensor for a signal to be generated; not the case for hall effect.

me!

posted on 3/11/12 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Old thread resurrection alert!

I'm trying to work out how to mount my speedo sensor. This one came with the car http://uk.farnell.com/schneider-electric-telemecanique/xs608b1pal2/proximity-switch-m8-pnp-no-cable/dp/4254697 but was not fitted. According to the weblink it is an inductive sensor, and according to the below thread they are usually 2 wire and fussy about setup. Mine is 3 wire, power, earth and signal.

Does anyone have any experience of these sensors? Are they any good? I'm guessing due to the specified measurement distance and thread below that the bracket has to be stiffer than a stiff thing. The bracket I've just made is alloy and a bit floppy, I think I'm going to add some webs to stiffen it until it's MOT'd and I can get it to my house and weld a steel one on (see my other thread).

Speedo is a Smiths/CAI Telemetrix, and I'm mounting off the front of my english axle sensing prop bolts.

ed1max

posted on 3/11/12 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
While we are on the subject can anyone tell me the gap distance on an inductive sensor
Thanks

dave r

posted on 3/11/12 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
the ones i used to use for my job, you used to screw them in till they touched a peak then out a full turn... 1mm pitch thread so 1mm gap

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.