Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Heated windscreen Jets
HOL

posted on 15/10/09 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Heated windscreen Jets

Not for the Seven obviously, but what cars over 5 years old come with heated squirter jets??

Last winter my commter car suffered badly from blocked/frozen jets, and I wanted to sort something before it got too cold.

Thanks

Gazeddy

posted on 15/10/09 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
05 on focus has them don't get em from a scrappy they had a flaw in some early ones and they leaked. They aren't expensive tho
carpmart

posted on 15/10/09 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
My E39 530 has them!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/10/09 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Simply coil the screenwash hose round the heater hose, then wrap that in tin foil followed by black tape, some manufactures have a heat exchanger that does the same thing but coiling it round about 8-10 works wonders. I think one of our Cavaliers had one fitted as standard.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomgregory2000

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
mk2 golf
britishtrident

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Most manufacturers only fit them to the top trim options of a range. Normally wired into the heated mirror circuit.

Rover 75 pair jets new £8.95 ebay item 350258084989 -- needs a rectangular hole in the bonnet

[Edited on 15/10/09 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 15/10/09 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

tegwin

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
2001 Polo GTI has heated jets...but they are quite odd hidden ones...
Liam

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
My vaux omega has them. Think they were standard accross the whole range.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Toprivetguns

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I usually buy cheap vodka from Tesco's and add to my concentrate. Saves time and hassle.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns
I usually buy cheap vodka from Tesco's and add to my concentrate. Saves time and hassle.

“Good evening Sir, I smell alcohol…would you please blow into this”

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

gavin174

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
an old rally trick was to coil a length of brake pipe round one of the big radiator hoses and put the flexi tube on either end....

as soon as the water in cooling system heats up it heats the water in the washer jets..

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

HOL

posted on 15/10/09 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Simply coil the screenwash hose round the heater hose, then wrap that in tin foil followed by black tape, some manufactures have a heat exchanger that does the same thing but coiling it round about 8-10 works wonders. I think one of our Cavaliers had one fitted as standard.

I see you are old Skool.

I actually have that mod already . I rememebr it from a top tip in Fast Car (when they tuned cars and didn't but stereos in them)

But, last year I still had a 10minute wait on a couple of day where the external temps were so bad, the water was still freezing.

Liam

posted on 15/10/09 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
All good in theory, but surely by the time the engine has heated up your heater would have cleared your windscreen anyway? And if you were going to wait that long before setting off you may as well have just gotten the scraper out.

Liam

blakep82

posted on 15/10/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns

“Good evening Sir, I smell alcohol…would you please blow into this”

are you sure that was a real copper that said that to you? and did you properly see the breathaliser? are you sure it was a real one?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 15/10/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
All good in theory, but surely by the time the engine has heated up your heater would have cleared your windscreen anyway? And if you were going to wait that long before setting off you may as well have just gotten the scraper out.

Liam

more for the road salt that gets splatters all over the window, and when you try to wash it off on the motorway, the jets are frozen and the wipers just smear salt and make it even worse

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

speedyxjs

posted on 15/10/09 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Jag XJ (97 in my case)

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

HOL

posted on 15/10/09 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by Liam

Liam

more for the road salt that gets splatters all over the window, and when you try to wash it off on the motorway, the jets are frozen and the wipers just smear salt and make it even worse

Precisely,

I leave home with a clear screen but my commute includes 35miles of M25 and M20.

britishtrident

posted on 15/10/09 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I upgraded to heated washer jets a couple of months back in preparation for the winter ---- wiring ended up more invovled that expected as Rover had deleted the official connection plug in the loom.

My major mod this winter is an engine pre-heater, I am going to try a 12v 80watt sump heater pad, I did consider a 240v coolant heater with pump but don't fancy the 240v bit on a snowy day ! .

I have already fitted a 12v marine cigar lighter socket to the grill next to one of the fog lights so I can plug an battery charger, so the 6 to 7 amp additional load shouldn't be a problem.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

rusty nuts

posted on 15/10/09 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Kenlowe Hotstart works to preheat the engine and with a length of screen washer tubing wrapped around a the top hose you have instant warm water at the washer jets
britishtrident

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
There is a german 240v pre-heater called the Black Frog with its own circulating pump available at about 80 quid only source I know of is an ebay seller that only advertises in the winter months.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.