Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New poly bushes for Viento
phil4521

posted on 7/3/10 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
New poly bushes for Viento

I took my front suspension apart earlier to check the bushes- decided to use to a power sander to take a few thou off as front were too tight- big mistake- taken much too much off. I need a new bushes and then I will get a machine shop to do it..... - I think they are same size for all suspension components? can anyone give me a part number and source so I can make sure I get right size replacements? Thanks
Phil.

Steve Lovelock

posted on 7/3/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
How much did you take off? I took loads off my Velocity's bushes, say 3mm each, and they work just fine. Could you not re-fit them and see how they go? Otherwise call Ben at Luego who I am sure will be happy to sell you some more.

Regards
Steve

rusty nuts

posted on 7/3/10 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC I took about 0.030" off the outer (larger) end. If I were doing it again I would use longer crush tubes
Bigheppy

posted on 7/3/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just put a large washer between the bush and mount, Job done and locost
Paul (Notts)

posted on 7/3/10 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
If its only one you need then I may ( not sure ) have a spare.
Andybarbet

posted on 7/3/10 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Phil, im not much help on where to get the bushes but i do have access to a lathe and work in Letchworth so your welcome to bring the bushes over for me to shave a bit off if you want.
Ive got to do all of mine too at some point.

Regards Andy

phil4521

posted on 1/4/10 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
update...

Spoke to Ben at Luego and he told me he has adjusted the size of the crush tube to eliminate the need to shave the top hat bushes- have just ordered some and will try it this weekend and let you know results. If only the original Luego owners were decent engineers.....

Ben was v helpful by the way-seems to know what hes talking about.

Andybarbet

posted on 1/4/10 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Let me know how you get on but offer is still there if needed.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

phil4521

posted on 5/4/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Just completed this job just on one side this weekend- took much longer than I planned and had to take loads off- about 3mmm off each side of each top hat but now it seems fine. next weekend I will complete the other front side ( now I know how not to do it) and then the backs. I found sanding the crush tubes down so they were super smooth made things much easier.

I have split the plastic cover off the lower ball joint which I think is a VOSA and MOT failure- any idea where I can get a spare?

jollygreengiant

posted on 6/4/10 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil4521
Just completed this job just on one side this weekend- took much longer than I planned and had to take loads off- about 3mmm off each side of each top hat but now it seems fine. next weekend I will complete the other front side ( now I know how not to do it) and then the backs. I found sanding the crush tubes down so they were super smooth made things much easier.

I have split the plastic cover off the lower ball joint which I think is a VOSA and MOT failure- any idea where I can get a spare?

So did you get the replacement crush tubes or not. By your description it seems that you did not get new crush tubes from Ben.???

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

phil4521

posted on 7/4/10 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I got new crush tubes from Ben they are 1mm longer but still too short hence I needed to take a load off the top hats as well to.So looks like this problem persists for new kits alike.........
richard thomas

posted on 7/4/10 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldn't the crush tubes be the same length as the inside dimension of the wishbone pick-up brackets?
rusty nuts

posted on 8/4/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
No the brackets should be wider apart than the length of the crush tube to allow for some castor adjustment but the crush tube should be slightly longer than the overall length of the poly bushes so that the bushes aren't clamped restricting free movement of the wishbones. The Luego build manual suggests tighten the wishbone bolts and then backing the nut off to allow the arm to move which is asking for trouble. Sorting out the crush tube /bush issue makes the car so much nicer to drive with compliant suspension
richard thomas

posted on 10/4/10 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
No the brackets should be wider apart than the length of the crush tube to allow for some castor adjustment but the crush tube should be slightly longer than the overall length of the poly bushes so that the bushes aren't clamped restricting free movement of the wishbones. The Luego build manual suggests tighten the wishbone bolts and then backing the nut off to allow the arm to move which is asking for trouble. Sorting out the crush tube /bush issue makes the car so much nicer to drive with compliant suspension

Penny dropped....the washers grip the crush tubes in fore and aft location?

I have been wrongly assuming that the washers would slip over the crush tubes....

phil4521

posted on 12/4/10 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
update on this job- I completed the drivers side on Sunday morning- getting hang of this now but it does take time to take suspension off and then put back together again.
Spoke to Ben about lower ball joint- looks like I was worrying about a split in the PVC outer covering which is packaging. So no problem.
Incidentally as I was tightening up the suspension I wondered about torque settings- are there any?

rusty nuts

posted on 13/4/10 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
If you read the Luego build manual it recommends tightening the bolt up tight and the backing off until the wishbone can move. IGNORE!!. I would have thought that something like 90nm would be about right for a 12mm bolt. Your not trying to do the job by bolting the wishbone on to test it everytime you make an adjustment are you? Nipping the crush tube in a vice when assembled is a lot quicker way of doing it ( Ask Geoff)
ben lord

posted on 14/4/10 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
All,

I have said this before. The old Luego manual that you all have is wrong and misleading in a lot of areas. We did not write it and recommend that it is thrown in the bin.

Regards

Ben
Luego Sportscars

PS See you all at Stoneleigh

wilkingj

posted on 14/4/10 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ben lord
All,

I have said this before. The old Luego manual that you all have is wrong and misleading in a lot of areas. We did not write it and recommend that it is thrown in the bin.

Regards

Ben
Luego Sportscars

PS See you all at Stoneleigh

Thanks for that, Where can we download the updated build manual so we can check or cars are built properly? It does not appear to be downloadable on the Luego website (I cant find any downloadable documentation relating to any of the builds)
I would have thought this would have been useful to prospective customers, as well as old ones.

I would be interesting to know how many uncompleted Luegos there are ot there.
Like all Kits many do not get completed and languish in garages and barns for years! ie how many are out there with still to be built using the old manuals.

Just my 2d's worth.

EDIT:
Re Rustys comment about me!
If you have to shave off the poly bush, then test by assembling the bush in the arm and then nip it up in a vice and check to see you have free movement. Reassembling on the car every time takes ages! (Guess how I know)
The Vice nip test will tell you when you are close enough for finally checking on the car.
Take it easy and steady, and dont rush it.

Finally the M12 bolt should be done up tight to hold the crush tbe tightly. If the bolt is loose it will move and wear the bracket holes oval. This will mess up the suspension, and will eventally be a MoT failure point. Then it will need the brackets to be replaced.

[Edited on 14/4/2010 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.