Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paint
Daddylonglegs

posted on 5/5/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Paint

Not sure if this is the right section but never mind.

I am really getting confused about what paint to use. I was going to use cellulose but that is now 'old school' and not many places do it now.

I have been to my local Car Paint Warehouse and the guy is really helpful but said that I should use acrylic (read 2-pack). I keep getting so much conflicting information about the stuff, some say it's fine others say you will die in short order if you don't wear full breathing aparatus etc.!

When I mentioned this to the guy in the paint suppliers, he said that while that may have been true years ago, the agents that are in the hardener now are much improved over the old stuff. He also said that as long as you use the specified filter mask and comon sense it is OK for home use (he also said that he wouldn't be allowed to sell it to the public if it wasn't relatively safe).

I know he has a vested interest in selling me the stuff, but he is also right that a lot of information on t'internet is old stuff just 'cut-and-pasted' into the sites, and there are always way too many 'experts' out there.

I intend to spray outdoors (in a gazeebo with air vents) and do not intend hanging around in there any longer than is necessary. I would be really grateful if someone 'up-to-date' in the painting trade can give me some sound, and impartial advice pleeeease!! I am nearing the end of the build and don't want to stall trying to decide what paint to use.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the essay

John

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

nick205

posted on 5/5/11 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Are you painting the whole car or just parts of it - say the wings for example.

I ask, because you can get pretty good results these days with rattle cans, which might ease your decisions.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 5/5/11 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, the whole car. I normally use rattle cans but I think this might be a little OTT for them

blakep82

posted on 5/5/11 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
you can still buy cellulose from halfords. about £30 per litre last time i got some

as for spraying 2k, theres a sticky about it on here somewhere. people say you'll be killed in seconds. hmm, not convinced personally. i've been around people spraying 2k and i didn't know, didn't have a mask on, i'm still alive breathing was a bit off for a few days though.
local paint shop still sell cellulose thinners, fiver for 5 litres? but also had masks certified for 2k paint, same as the usual rubber masks with 2 filter cartridges on the sides. said there was no need for air fed masks now, unless you're working in a paint shop, spraying all day every day

edit
here you go
Gerson 2K Paint Spraying Respirator Half Face Mask | eBay UK

[Edited on 5/5/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

rallyingden

posted on 5/5/11 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^ as above
IF this was your day to day job then air fed is the only way but for one offs the masks with dual filters for 2k will suffice.

This is all in my opinion of course.

I actually used water based basecote with celly based lacquer.

RD

[Edited on 5/5/11 by rallyingden]

HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 5/5/11 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
The sticky is in bodywork and exterior, read all about it before making your decision, i erred on the side of caution and used air fed mask
Daddylonglegs

posted on 5/5/11 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rallyingden
^^^^^ as above
IF this was your day to day job then air fed is the only way but for one offs the masks with dual filters for 2k will suffice.

This is all in my opinion of course.

I actually used water based basecote with celly based lacquer.

RD

[Edited on 5/5/11 by rallyingden]

I'm still undecided, the more I research/read, the worse it gets One site said about the suppliers that offer the filter masks and quoted "it's not them doing the spraying", which is true. I also see that most of the HSE etc. sites and some manufacturers of masks say definitely NO filter masks for 2pack. I don't want to find out the hard way so I suppose at the end of the day I either get an air-fed mask or go water-based basecoat and celly lacquer.

Where would you recommend getting basecoat from?

JB

blakep82

posted on 5/5/11 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
if you want to use cellulose then, you can still get it from halfords. i haven't tried 2k yet, might do soon though, but quite happy with cellulose really

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cliftyhanger

posted on 5/5/11 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Why water based?? I suspect that is harder to use at home than more conventional paints. You can still get solvent based basecoat and celly from lots of places.

If doing a whole car I would see if I could borrow an air fed mask, or make one (small variable power vacuum cleaner (or similar) on blow, hose pipe and a full face visor edged in foam works apparently)

2K stuff is easier to use. I have used jawel paints on ebay. Their mixed to colour stuff isn't at all bad. Their very cheap, premixed 2k is a bit "thinner" but is very cheap.

macc man

posted on 5/5/11 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
I painted my car in cellulose a couple of years back. Still looks good. I recently bought sone cellulose an paid £30 for half a litre mixed. Would have been half that in 2K. Perhaps it has had its day and we must move on. Shame really.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 5/5/11 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the link Blake

I notice that they have put on their 'get-out-clause' of government legislation. Maybe that is the type of mask that the Car Paint Warehouse guy was telling me he sold (about £15 and good for 100hrs of use).

I sometimes wonder if it's worth all the hassle!

deltron63

posted on 5/5/11 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Dont forget that the air from most compressors wont be clean enough for an air fed mask.
Ours at work go through a freezer unit and filters.You dont want to breath dirty oily air.

snakebelly

posted on 5/5/11 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
if its your first big spraying project then personally i would go celly all the way, not based on stealth and hafety but on the finish.
Celly is far more forgiving and even horrible runs can be flatted out and a good gloss restored with polishing, rectifying any mistakes in 2K will be much more difficult if not impossible.
Use celly and build it up to a good thickness, let it cure for at least a week then flat back and then polish, even if it looks flat and poo initially, flatting and polishing will have it looking fan dabby dosy.
I have sprayed over 10 cars as home diy projects over the years in celly, 2k and synthetic truckcoat type paints and the best finish af all in a diy setup has been celly.

Just my ten penneth worth

BobM

posted on 6/5/11 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
Medically speaking your risks are related to your total lifetime dose of the nasties.

My take on 2 pack is that if I was using it all the time I'd want all the protective gear including an air fed mask. For occasional use my view is that the risks are very low so long as you take reasonable precautions. I make sure I'm covered - overalls, hat, gloves etc. and make sure I've got a well fitting mask. The masks are effective enough that I can't smell the fumes when I'm spraying. Once I've finished I get out of the garage, leave the door closed for half an hour for the paint to harden then open the doors and windows and leave it for a while before I go back in to play.

Another point I would make is that no-one seems to be taking into account the risks using cellulose and there's a general assumption in threads in here that it's safe. Do you imagine the solvents from that are going to do you any good?

I disagree on the argument that cellulose is easier. The 2 pack high build primer is fantastic at covering minor imperfections and I find getting a decent finish from the gun much easier using 2 pack. You're less likely to get runs with the 2 pack, but when I've had runs they're easy enough to flatten off with some wet and dry. Most of the guys I know who've used both wouldn't go back to cellulose.

I don't find looking at what HSE say terribly helpful. I suspect if a Health and Safety inspector saw me working in my garage (or in my garden or decorating the house for that matter) he'd have a dicky fit and I suspect I'm no different to most of you. I don't take unnecessary risks but there's a world of difference between an occupational environment and your own home/garage. For context I'm a middle age doctor who's built one house and 3 cars and still has 2 lungs, 2 eyes, 10 fingers and 10 toes

Not very Locost but very BEC

Daddylonglegs

posted on 6/5/11 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Bob

It's nice to get a good old fashioned 'there are good bits and bad bits'. I agree with reference to the HSE site, I think the problem is that there is so much of a " can I make a claim" culture now that everything is nasty! Even conkers at school has been banned for god's sake!!

From what I can gather, the guys who have had experiences from 2K have either not had the gear on at all, or had a badly fitting maske etc. The guy at the Car Paint Warehouse was very passionate about the way 2K is being treated on the internet and forums, as he rightly said, there are a lot of people who put in words what they have 'heard' and this can be very off-putting. His words to me were "you use whatever you want at the end of the day" which is fair enough, he wasn't all hard-sell to get me to buy his products.

I must admit, I have my doubts about cellulose too after using it many times, even with care it can still leave a very nasty residue in the old hooter, so what is it doing to the other bits?

As I already said, I intend to use a Gazebo in a yard and i will probably also run an old cooling fan as an extractor. The masks the paint shop supply are quoted as suitable for 2K, and with the sueing trend as it is I doubt they would do that if there was any doubt? (I am starting to sound like I am trying to convince myself it'll be OK).

I think I will have butchers at the masks, ask him some more questions and then probably go with 2K. As you say, if I can smell fumes then it ain't doing it's job, I guess I'll try it with something less dodgy first to check the fit.

Thanks for all the input guys, and feel free to add as you see fit

(worrying) John

cliftyhanger

posted on 6/5/11 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Of course the other approach is to use 2K primer/filler (huge advantages over celly stuff, it doesn't sink, can be flatted next day if used at home, unlike celly which can sink after a few weeks )and then topcoat in celly. But if you have used 2k, you are unlikely to want to go back to celly. At least I don't

Other "top tip" is to use acrylic stopper for all those tiny imperfections as you go. Fantastic stuff, makes getting a very good finish much less grief than the other stoppers I have used.

r1_pete

posted on 6/5/11 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not getting into the 2K charcoal filter vs air fed mask debate again, I was behind the sticky and reccomend you read all the links, personally I wouldn't go near airborne 2K without full skin coverage and an air fed full face mask.

To help you with your quest, try NU Agane paints, they often have deals on common colours in celulose, I just bought 10L paint and 10L thinner from them for £150 delivered. His 5L kits (5L paint 5L thinner) are about £80.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 6/5/11 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
r1_pete, looks like a good selection of paints etc. but his feedback isn't too rosy? I'd hate to order a colour form there only to find it ain't what it says on the tin.

r1_pete

posted on 6/5/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with the comments about eMail, they don't respond, but on the phone they are freindly and helpful, I've done three cars with their paint now, and the colour has been good, the MG in my archive is their Olde English White....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.