Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: test fit of BMW engine
SteveWallace

posted on 30/7/11 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
test fit of BMW engine

The build is coming on. Having modified my BMW sump (see other posts), I have done a second test fit into the Viento and all appears to be well. Its slightly off centre in the attached pic, but it was close enough to do some basic planning for the next steps before lifting it back out again. As always, I have more questions (but at least I have now provided suggestions to others over the last couple of months, so I must be learning something!):

i) I'm working on setting the clearance between the bottom of the sump and the ground to be about 75-80mm. Does this sound about right. Does anyone have experience of going lower and surviving the state of our roads?

ii) I think that I read somewhere that it was helpful/desirable/possible to set up so that the shaft from the gearbox is not exactly pointing at the input shaft of the diff (i.e. they can or should be off set a bit to help with the bearings in the prop shaft). Is this right, and if so, how much of an off set could I get away with? This would help with engine positioning as well.

As always, advice and thoughts would be much appreciated.
Steve

[img][/img]

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/7/11 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
The maximum size that a speed hump or cushion can be is 100mm.

You can raise and lower the whole car quite easily once it is finished.

If possible you should try to get the bottom of sump level with the bottom of the chassis rails.
Then things are simple, but I understand the constraints of bonnets etc.

That engine looks great.

Matt

plentywahalla

posted on 30/7/11 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
The recommended maximum height for speed bumps is 75mm, so your ground clearance should be just about safe. Note recommended - not mandatory! actual legal max is 100mm but very few are that high due to frequent damage.

Yes, a slight angle for the UJ's is best to stop the needle bearing from flat spotting. I would have thought no more than 5 degrees as UJ's are not constant velocity.

Your engine does seem a bit far forward for ideal weight distribution, or is it just perspective from a rearward viewpoint.

SteveWallace

posted on 30/7/11 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I think that its a mixture of perspective and it being a bit far forward, although I can only move it a couple of inches further back before it would hit the triangular bracing in the engine bay. I'll get everything in the right place before I drill the holes for the mounts. I guess that because its a straight 6, its a bit longer than 4 pots or V8's.

A few degrees of adjustment in alignment of the prop shaft means that I can balance sump clearance with space under the bonet. although in practice I will go for as low a clearance as I can get away with to keep the weight low. The throttle position sensor is the highest bit on the engine.

I guess that these complications are the price that I am paying for trying something different. Although with very little modification, I should be able to get at least 220 bhp out of that engine, so it will be worth it in the end.

Paul (Notts)

posted on 30/7/11 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good.

Have aclose look at the exhaust locations and gear stick location.

otherwise just move it back as mutch as possible and fit some engine stays to the heads and rear trianulation of chassis to stop it moving too mutch at the top.

Pau

scootz

posted on 30/7/11 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm having a similar problem. The RV8 sump in the F27 was only 50mm off the deck, so I'm having to lift it. I want at least 100mm clearance for such a heavy engined car, and I reckon a change to 70mm bobbin-mounts should do the business.

It means a bit of fettling for the bonnet, but hey-ho!

I also have to try and shoe-horn it a little bit further back so the alternator belt clears the inboard shocks (it just grazes it at present)! I have another 20mm of backwards movement in the prop so should manage.

It's Evolution Baby!

AndyRead

posted on 30/7/11 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Big lump, Little hole, Hmmmmmmmm

I Like!

Andy

rodgling

posted on 30/7/11 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
It's quite a tall engine, but I managed to get about 10 cm ground clearance from the sump in my car. I guess that means higher-up weight though... you can't win them all. It was quite a squeeze getting it into the engine bay (and even more so with the M3 which is longer).

Give me a shout if you need a 328 ECU / EWS / key btw, I have two sets for sale.

ben lord

posted on 3/11/11 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Did I ever send you pics of a BMW installation in a Viento?

If not email me and I will try and find them.

Ben

spiderman

posted on 3/11/11 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there guys,
does anyone have measurements for a BMW straight six motor? Idealy height (sump/top of cam cover), width and lenghth
(frontof motor/back of block and front of engine/ gearstick mount). Also if anyone has any details of weight of motor/g'box.
Any help would be great as I am considering putting one into a MK2 GT6 my other option would be a Peugeot V6 as I have one in my current roadcar and I know Owelly has done a RWD conversion on one so I may have to pick his brains about whats involved.

[Edited on 3/11/11 by spiderman]

Spider

SteveWallace

posted on 3/11/11 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 2.8 that I am putting in my Viento. It will be the weekend before I can measure it, but I'll do a post as soon as I can.

Steve

SteveWallace

posted on 6/11/11 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
The approximate dimensions of my BMW 2.8 straight 6 are as follows

Height - bottom of sump to top of oil filler cap = 65.5cm
Width - including alternator on a standard bracket = 61cm
length - to gearbox = 72cm
length of gearbox - to propshaft = 52cm

Hope this helps

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.