Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Greek vote
woodster

posted on 17/6/12 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Greek vote

We have a few Greek members on here just wondered what the feeling on the ground was and anyone prepared to guess which way the vote will go ?
Dangle_kt

posted on 17/6/12 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not Greek but I imagine it will be split along those who have and those who don't.

If they drop out the euro the bloke with nothing will loose nothing. If I owned property, a business or had savings I wouldn't fancy watching them halve or quarter in value overnight.

I know it will be relative, but I don't imagine dropping out the euro will go well for trade/profits or inflation.

woodster

posted on 17/6/12 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
It's looking very close , could be another hung parliament
orton1966

posted on 17/6/12 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Let's the face it the powers in europe will keep forcing them to have election after election until they get the result they want.

Basickly they don't get a real choice because the euro nations are concerned if one drops out the whole euro zone will be weakened

If they did drop out, yes they will go through a terrible period but there will be light at the end of the tunnel because there new currency will be devalued and thus their products and services will become cheap compared to the euro zone. stay and the pain will continue for a generation

[Edited on 17/6/12 by orton1966]

JoelP

posted on 17/6/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by orton1966
Let's the face it the powers in europe will keep forcing them to have election after election until they get the result they want.

Basickly they don't get a real choice because the euro nations are concerned if one drops out the whole euro zone will be weakened

If they did drop out, yes they will go through a terrible period but there will be light at the end of the tunnel because there new currency will be devalued and thus their products and services will become cheap compared to the euro zone. stay and the pain will continue for a generation

Europe hasnt forced an election on them, they were unable to form a government after the last election. This new election is hoping that voters will vote differently having seen the last results and with the parties having more chance to campaign specifically about the current situation. Which way it will swing is down to the voters. I imagine it will be still hung but hopefully with some chance of a coalition forming.

I have no idea what is best for greece, but as with all things, time will tell. I suspect that europe does need more integration if they want to keep the euro - the idea that germany (and other strong economies) is being unfairly lent on to fund the bailouts is not as simple as it seems, because the german economy has benefited hugely by being in the euro anyway (the deutsche mark would be so strong at the minute that they would be unable to export). So maybe greece does need some slack cutting in the interest of the greater good. But i suspect merkel will refuse to budge.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

woodster

posted on 17/6/12 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
It looks at best coalition or another election ..... They laughingly seem to have voted to stay in the euro but also voted against austerity ...... We'll take the bailout and carry on as we were ......... ( to be continued )
orton1966

posted on 18/6/12 at 05:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

Europe hasnt forced an election on them, they were unable to form a government after the last election. This new election is hoping that voters will vote differently having seen the last results and with the parties having more chance to campaign specifically about the current situation. Which way it will swing is down to the voters. I imagine it will be still hung but hopefully with some chance of a coalition forming.

I have no idea what is best for greece, but as with all things, time will tell. I suspect that europe does need more integration if they want to keep the euro - the idea that germany (and other strong economies) is being unfairly lent on to fund the bailouts is not as simple as it seems, because the german economy has benefited hugely by being in the euro anyway (the deutsche mark would be so strong at the minute that they would be unable to export). So maybe greece does need some slack cutting in the interest of the greater good. But i suspect merkel will refuse to budge.

Whilst they haven't forced it, I believe, behind the scenes they are setting the agenda and helping their preferred party campaign as effectively as possible.

Just like before the first election the outgoing premiere stated that there should be a referendum about the proposed osterity measures the EU wanted them to adopt because it was too big a decision for them, a bit of arm twisting by the French and Germans and 48 hours later the referendum proposal was dropped.

Look at the reaction to the result, despite how close it was, all the heads do Europe are out there praising the result, as if it had been a landslide.

It's way too simplistic to say they got into the mess, they should take the pain to get out. The euro zone wanted more members and were willing to turn a blind eye to countries accounts to get them to join. By the poorer European countries joining, they allowed there only competitive advantage to be taken away. Countries like Greece and Spain used to be cheap places to visit because of the exchange rates, with the euro that inevitably changed. Portugal used to be a cheap manufacturer, like wise that's changed. The holiday makers and manufacturers seeking an exchange rate advantage, still exist but they now spend that money in turkey and the old eastern block.

bobinspain

posted on 18/6/12 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/9337283/Greece-will-have-to-leave-EMU-whoever-is-elected.html

This guy writes well and is clued up: Ambrose Evans-Pritchard.

Some of the posts to his article are worth a read too. eg, "In light of the Greek situation, I've had a word with my bank manager and told him I want to stop paying my mortgage, but to continue living in my house. He's thinking about it."

JoelP "I suspect Europe needs more integration if they are to keep the euro."

NO, NO a thousand times NO! The mess Europe is in is largely caused by unelected, shameless gravy-trainers who have zero democratic legitimacy. Political integration is indeed a sine-qua-non for fiscal union and for the euro to work, but who voted for it? Most governments with a "yes" vote have got what they required by blackmail and going back to their electorate until they get the desired outcome. It stinks!
You may already know that the faceless unelected Brussels 'mafia' who rule Europe have NEVER had their accounts signed off in the last 15 years. Marta Andreason, (now a UKIP MEP) was chief accountant in Brussels in the early 2000s and refused to sign off the accounts since the system was "open to fraud." She was sacked for not showing sufficient respect to those she was auditing.
'The Great Deception. The Secret History of the European Union." by Christopher Booker and Richard North, should be compulsory reading for all EU citizens. It documents how we've been cheated, lied to (Edward Heath should have been hung for treason) and led like lambs to the slaughter, all for the sake of the flawed political dream of a Frenchman, (Jean Monet).
It should make the blood of every thinking person boil.
Cameron "Cast iron, call me Dave," is perpetuating the nonsense by being weak and self-serving.

[Edited on 18/6/12 by bobinspain]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.