Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear Light Questions?
l5tuy

posted on 3/11/15 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Rear Light Questions?

Evening,

Looking for some answers I have to the following questions if anyone can help? These Qs are based upon running single round units for each function, brake/reverse/sidelight.

What kind of diameter do people use and is this governed by IVA?
Do these need to be EU stamped for IVA?
Where's best to by LED?

Cheers

Stuart

[Edited on 4/11/15 by l5tuy]

[Edited on 4/11/15 by l5tuy]

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/11/15 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
just use series landrover lights, their stupidly cheap, easy serviced, bright and work well, for LED you can get bulb replacements which work out vastly cheaper than buying LED lamp equivents
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 4/11/15 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l5tuy
What kind of diameter do people use and is this governed by IVA?
Do these need to be EU stamped for IVA?

There are no sizes governed light output must be to suit this:
All lamps must emit light of an equivalent brightness and colour when compared to an e approved lamp of the same type

The only lamp that needs to be E marked is the rear Fog - in addition to an E mark it must also have a F or B marking.

Mistral Motorsport

l5tuy

posted on 4/11/15 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, much appreciated.
gremlin1234

posted on 4/11/15 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote

There are no sizes governed light output must be to suit this:
All lamps must emit light of an equivalent brightness and colour when compared to an e approved lamp of the same type

The only lamp that needs to be E marked is the rear Fog - in addition to an E mark it must also have a F or B marking.

there are however limits on min&max height/width from sides, and spacing

BenB

posted on 4/11/15 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Bear this in mind re the LED retrofitted light bulbs- they negate the E-rating of the OEM lenses. So an MOT inspector might pick up on it. Not sure what impact it would have on IVA- might be one of those weird things were they don't have to be E-rated but if they are they have to be okay... Interestingly the LED rear number plate lights are all sealed so you can't muck around with them... To be honest though the LED bulbs I've got in my land rover light fittings are so close it's really hard to tell even when you know. In terms of which ones to fit it depends what you're happy with- I dislike the type with lots of separate SMD LEDs (they remind me too much of a Christmas tree). And some of the LED bulbs are just plain dangerous- way too dim and/or in the case of 21/5W lights some have brake light outputs that are only marginally brighter than the "low output" part. So someone can't tell when you're braking... kind of useless then... If you use a white LED bulb in a coloured cover it will look wrong (the amber goes yellow and the red goes pink). Either coat the bulb with coloured paint (Tamiya paints are ideal for this- available in red, yellow and amber in transparent) or just use a coloured bulb to begin with.

These are my favourites at the moment:

CHROME SILVER AMBER FRONT DRL BULBS 382 BA15S P21W 1156 5W ORANGE 12V/24V X 2

2x BAY15D 1157 380 RED COLOR CREE Q5 1-SMD LED 5W STOP TAIL DUAL FILAMENT 12V DC

Osram ambers are also good but expensive

All the above are slightly brighter than a stock bulb. And work nicely in the Land Rover units. You do obviously have to have the wiring the right way round- a filament bulb doesn't care if it's wired backwards. An LED will just say no.

And if you fancy once of these for the rear fog light

bear in mind they're £45.60 from CBS and £32.65 here

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.